Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - R1S
Occupation
Computer Consultant
So far this is what I have figured out about PaaK:

1. The Rivian has multi-Bluetooth sensors around the truck, and inside.
2. To unlock, is more than a Bluetooth connection - there is some exchange at a software level.
3. When you approach the Truck, if the Bluetooth handshake works - the brake lights flash to show you are linked. (fob does this too)
4. The unlock seems to be trigged by Bluetooth connecting reaching a certain signal strength.

So there seems to be 3 main problems:

1. Some phones seem to sleep the software, and the handshake does not happen (Handshake problem)
2. As you get close enough, the truck delays the un-lock even when you are in range (Unlock Delay)
3. The signal strength required to unlock needs you to lift the phone right next to the windows. (Signal strength)

Issues 2 and 3 can also happen with the Key Fob.

Issue 1 seems to be solved (temp) by restarting the phone / airplane mode / cycling Bluetooth - This issue could be phone / app / or Rivian problem.

Issue 2 and 3 are Rivian software problems that they can fix with software changed in the truck.

Open to any other input, as for things I've missed. But I think if we express our issues broken out as the 3 above, we'll be able to move close to a solution. Even my service rep had not heard of the separate issues (just treated them all as one).
Sponsored

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
So far this is what I have figured out about PaaK:

1. The Rivian has multi-Bluetooth sensors around the truck, and inside.
2. To unlock, is more than a Bluetooth connection - there is some exchange at a software level.
3. When you approach the Truck, if the Bluetooth handshake works - the brake lights flash to show you are linked. (fob does this too)
4. The unlock seems to be trigged by Bluetooth connecting reaching a certain signal strength.

So there seems to be 3 main problems:

1. Some phones seem to sleep the software, and the handshake does not happen (Handshake problem)
2. As you get close enough, the truck delays the un-lock even when you are in range (Unlock Delay)
3. The signal strength required to unlock needs you to lift the phone right next to the windows. (Signal strength)

Issues 2 and 3 can also happen with the Key Fob.

Issue 1 seems to be solved (temp) by restarting the phone / airplane mode / cycling Bluetooth - This issue could be phone / app / or Rivian problem.

Issue 2 and 3 are Rivian software problems that they can fix with software changed in the truck.

Open to any other input, as for things I've missed. But I think if we express our issues broken out as the 3 above, we'll be able to move close to a solution. Even my service rep had not heard of the separate issues (just treated them all as one).
#3 hasnt been a problem to me. I have rarely experienced #1 on an iPhone but that's pretty rare. More common is a very long delay walking up to the truck and it not unlocking for like 30s. Most of the time it works as expected but sometimes it is very sluggish to wake.

OP
OP

Deadfish

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - R1S
Occupation
Computer Consultant
Thanks for the input - I only have andriod phones, so I don't get any iPhone data.

Do you notice the light flash as you approach? I curious if it's a delay in the handshake or the unlock strength.

I'm also finding a rear approach works better then when I come from the front. Do you notice any difference?

the_mace

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Ford F350 Diesel, Mercedes GLC30
Occupation
CTO
Thanks for the input - I only have andriod phones, so I don't get any iPhone data.

Do you notice the light flash as you approach? I curious if it's a delay in the handshake or the unlock strength.

I'm also finding a rear approach works better then when I come from the front. Do you notice any difference?
Yes, the range (when it notices) is very long, 3 car bays over it flashes, then opens when i'm closer.

Im usually approaching from driver side so front left and there its on and off i'll try to notice some more.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
I’ve identified something I found odd … with PAAK turned off at home in the vehicle settings, the phone and vehicle still connect to the Rivian Key and all 4 BT sensors (iPhone 12 Pro Max), and the vehicle partially wakes up as I can hear the contactor clicking and lower shutters opening. The vehicle still stays locked and no lights flash. This may also contribute to some vampire drain. If I restrict BT access to the Rivian app, this doesn’t occur.

Last edited:

Sponsored

gregtay

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S LS/OC, '21 Escalade, '13 RS5 Cab
My Galaxy S23 Ultra works perfectly with PAAK... unlocks every time long before I reach for the door handle. My wife's Apple iphone 14 Pro sucks.. she stands there so long waiting for the door to unlock and sometimes it doesn't work at all. She has resorted to just carrying the key fob in her purse :-/. So, in our case it seems to be something about how Apple sleeps the app (something Android/Samsung give the user control of) or how Apple delays BT handshakes.

OP
OP

Deadfish

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 - R1S
Occupation
Computer Consultant
My new S23 is working MUCH better. Sometimes it's a bit slow, but opens pretty reliable so far. When it is slow, I notice if I rase the phone up to window height it opens right away. Not sure if that is anything yet.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Any idea if Rivian supports UWB? Seems like an obvious thing to include, but then again I thought the same about 800V charging.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Any idea if Rivian supports UWB? Seems like an obvious thing to include, but then again I thought the same about 800V charging.
In it's current form, no.

Joefly78

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Max
Occupation
Pilot
I’ve identified something I found odd … with PAAK turned off at home in the vehicle settings, the phone and vehicle still connect to the Rivian Key and all 4 BT sensors (iPhone 12 Pro Max), and the vehicle partially wakes up as I can hear the contactor clicking and lower shutters opening. The vehicle still stays locked and no lights flash. This may also contribute to some vampire drain. If I restrict BT access to the Rivian app, this doesn’t occur.
This is absolutely true. Even with PAAK off at home, the truck still senses you walking near it with your phone and starts prepping for travel. It's a source of drain for sure. Probably not great for the moving parts either.
Sponsored