Sponsored

Owners: What are your biggest gripes so far?

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

Surprising about Alexa not supporting Apple Music. Seems to support Pandora and other music services. Is this an explicit omission?

On CarPlay, I hope whoever at Rivian told Jason Cammisa it's coming was right.
The irony is that in the truck’s manual it says alexa supports Apple Music and SiriusXM, but Alexa tells me that is not supported on this device….
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
The irony is that in the truck’s manual it says alexa supports Apple Music and SiriusXM, but Alexa tells me that is not supported on this device….
I wonder if there's a licensing thing that hasn't quite been worked out yet ?

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
I know some people had problems / concerns about the wireless charger.

It's VERY easy to unplug.

My phone doesn't have wireless charging and I was having issues with it getting hot on the wireless charger even though it doesn't have it.

I simply popped off the "nonslip" mat, three easy clips, unplugged the unit, and put it all back together.

If someone has a 3d printer you could easily create some things to go in it's place as well.

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I find it comical that this thread is about gripes. Yet there are people here arguing about the validity of those gripes. Those arguing are more than welcome to start a cheerleading thread... e.g., "Owners what do you love best about your new Rivian".

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I find it comical that this thread is about gripes. Yet there are people here arguing about the validity of those gripes. Those arguing are more than welcome to start a cheerleading thread... e.g., "Owners what do you love best about your new Rivian".
Yes! Though the griping forum is the most appropriate forum in which to gripe about gripes, please refrain from griping about griping in the griping forum ?…

My Defender has the most considered interior of any car I’ve owned, with great ergonomics, adjustments for days, cubbys and shelves for crap everywhere and in all the right places, set and forget entry/exit, wipers, lighting…a sunglass case in the overhead console! It’s the one to emulate in this regard…

Last edited:

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
If someone has a 3d printer you could easily create some things to go in it's place as well.
Land Rover made a little rubberized cover for the charging pad if you want to keep other things on it instead. If my Rivian ever comes imma get on this…?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
This is the internet, there will always be multiple people posting about why any other single post is wrong. Doesn't matter what the post is about. I don't know if people are simply compelled to prove how smart they think they are or if they simply enjoy being argumentative.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
This is the internet, there will always be multiple people posting about why any other single post is wrong. Doesn't matter what the post is about. I don't know if people are simply compelled to prove how smart they think they are or if they simply enjoy being argumentative.
I disagree. ;)

It does seem that the complainers about the complainers are a bit much.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yes! Though the griping forum is the most appropriate forum in which to gripe about gripes, please refrain from griping about griping in the griping forum ?…
Gentlemen! You can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
Mine

-No homelink, I understand it will be added later via ota.
-No good storage cubbies for sunglasses/garage clickers.
-Drivers seat needs to go lower, at full down, it sits higher than the passenger side. Driving position is very upright.
-Rear legroom, everyone talked how great it was with adults, but with toddlers in carseats. Legroom is very tight.
-Key fob sometimes feels laggy when unlocking.
-No button to lock and unlock from the door. Like a traditional smart key system. I either have to have it auto open/lock or pull out the key each time.
-Auto open/lock is unpredictable. Sometimes its really sensitive and unlocks it self when I'm indoors, sometimes I'm at the door and I have to wait to detect. Would much rather have a touch sensitive part of the door that will unlock/lock.
-Dashcam for driving/remote viewing thru app. Could be added later via ota.
-Browser? Youtube/YTMusic? Apps in general? Hopefully they add more in the future.
-Comfort drive mode, make it ride really smooth.
-Wireless charging pad is terrible even with no case. Perhaps it works better on apple devices but not Note20/Pixel6. It's a very narrow window and between the slippery surface the phone slides around.
I found the charger to work fine on my Pixel 6 during a test drive. Better than the Polestar 2 for sure!

Sponsored

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
As far as I'm concerned, minor gripes are a plus. They confirm the lack of major gripes!

I swap prescription sunglasses / eyeglasses and prefer the ceiling mounted holder. There are work arounds. For example, there is a glasses clip that fits behind the screen in Tesla models.

The most important solution for this, and other storage issues, is likely to be the aftermarket. There will be options once more R1's are delivered and available for vendors and enthusiasts with 3D printers.

R1T7777

First Name
CaliSurfer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf
Occupation
Propagandist
I reached out to my guide this morning suggesting they setup a "suggestion box" at Rivian much like Tesla has.

My gripes:
Controls on the steering wheel should light up in some form.
No overhead ambient light for the cabin (every car i've had for the past 10 years has this).
No ambient light under the dash for the lower center console.

Things that could be fixed with software tweaks:
Dedicated on screen camera button. My suggestion was next to the lock button on the top. This could also be fixed with a dedicated camera button (That didn't move) on the bottom navigation

Footwell lights should be able to be turned on WITHOUT the other ambient door/dash lighting

On Screen button to roll up and down ALL windows at once

I know i have a bunch more too but it's to early for me.
I also suggested a suggestion box.

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

This "gripe" post is very important. Despite people griping at others for their gripes, hopefully Rivian (or someone) will tally the most common issues which may cause Rivian to make an update: hardware (slow) or software (fast). As someone mentioned, if many other cars have a feature (homelink, for example) and Rivian doesn't, it's an annoyance but probably not a deal killer- just use an old fashioned garage door opener.

I find the sunglasses gripe kinda funny because I live in Phoenix where it's mainly sunny except at night. Seven or eight months of the year it's super hot. If you put sunglasses on your face after they've cooked in your car, it's so painful you learn your lesson pretty quickly.

On the other hand, I like cubbies for "stuff" that belongs in your car-especially since there's no glove box (why no glove box)?

But if the key fob is laggy, or you need to pull out your phone every time you approach the vehicle to unlock it, or wireless charging doesn't work well because phones slide around, that's the sort of thing that could/should be fixed.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I know some people had problems / concerns about the wireless charger.

It's VERY easy to unplug.

My phone doesn't have wireless charging and I was having issues with it getting hot on the wireless charger even though it doesn't have it.

I simply popped off the "nonslip" mat, three easy clips, unplugged the unit, and put it all back together.

I’ll be doing this when I get mine.

My Defender has the most considered interior of any car I’ve owned, with great ergonomics, adjustments for days, cubbys and shelves for crap everywhere and in all the right places, set and forget entry/exit, wipers, lighting…a sunglass case in the overhead console! It’s the one to emulate in this regard…
compare and contrast with my defender, which has the least considered interior ever.

although it does have set and forget headlights. You set them and and forget they’re on, because there is no chime or buzzer.