First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I think they are trying yo lower prices without, um, lowering prices. I don't get it really. There are many configs that price right above the 80,000 tax credit limitation. If they drop the charge for premium paint half the trucks get the tax credit so the customer picks up another $3750 off without Rivian losing anything.
I agree. Probably figure it is a way to incentivize some sales.
Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Nice to know that shortage of repair parts is going into new builds instead of fixing what I paid for. /s
I don't think there's a shortage of repair parts. As we all know, Rivian's biggest bottleneck is the service center network - they simply don't have the capacity to adequately deal with repairs and retrofitting. New builds get the PTC installed at the factory, which doesn't delay the production at all.

So I would characterize this as Rivian doing what they can with what they have - no sense in storing all those PTC parts on a pallet in Normal until every single vehicle in the field can be serviced, when they can resume selling some factory builds with the PTC parts on hand.

Sbraab

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '17 BMW 330 GT, '07 Audi A3
Clubs

This just adds insult to injury for someone who missed the original powered version by a few weeks. I paid more for the crappy manual cover that Iā€™ve already had replaced once and donā€™t bother to use because its such a hassle and so fragile.

Stepan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
"This vehicle is configured with a powered tonneau cover. In some cases, your vehicle may be delivered without the cover, Rivian service will reach out to you by fall of 2024 to schedule your installation."
I think they are trying yo lower prices without, um, lowering prices. I don't get it really. There are many configs that price right above the 80,000 tax credit limitation. If they drop the charge for premium paint half the trucks get the tax credit so the customer picks up another $3750 off without Rivian losing anything.
There is already stories of people getting premium paint or upgraded wheels, etc for free, so stuff like this is happening.

I think a non-insignificant amount of people were waiting on PTC to pull the trigger, so they tried to say you'll be able to buy it later, now they're putting in the price for the upgrade and promising you'll get it eventually.

I don't think there's a shortage of repair parts. As we all know, Rivian's biggest bottleneck is the service center network - they simply don't have the capacity to adequately deal with repairs and retrofitting. New builds get the PTC installed at the factory, which doesn't delay the production at all.
Your guess goes against the fine print. I can see them having some extra parts, that they can install immediately, but not enough to satisfy perceived demand for PTC on new vehicles.

Golfer04

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Finance
There is already stories of people getting premium paint or upgraded wheels, etc for free, so stuff like this is happening.

I think a non-insignificant amount of people were waiting on PTC to pull the trigger, so they tried to say you'll be able to buy it later, now they're putting in the price for the upgrade and promising you'll get it eventually.

Your guess goes against the fine print. I can see them having some extra parts, that they can install immediately, but not enough to satisfy perceived demand for PTC on new vehicles.
Except they have to lower the MSRP to get the tax credit. Maybe that is what they are doing on those deals (they would have to change the Maroney), but post it on the shop price to improve sales. The tax credit isn't based on what you pay it is on MSRP. Believe it or not everyone looking at a vehicle isn't on a board. Most aren't.

Sponsored

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
The PTC might be cheaper, but many of us got trucks for about $17,000-$20,000 lower than current MSRP. And most probably also have significantly lower interest rates too.

That being said, Rivian should be fixing those who paid for them and havenā€™t ever been enabled or have been broken. Really no excuse to not prioritize current customers.

Sponsored

DuoRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T and an R1S
Occupation
IT
The PTC might be cheaper, but many of us got trucks for about $17,000-$20,000 lower than current MSRP. And most probably also have significantly lower interest rates too.

That being said, Rivian should be fixing those who paid for them and havenā€™t ever been enabled or have been broken. Really no excuse to not prioritize current customers.
They have been fixing some and this offer is saying people in Q4 can get one installed, that leaves over six months to continue fixing old ones. Everyone should be happy.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Nice to know that shortage of repair parts is going into new builds instead of fixing what I paid for. /s

And itā€™s f**king cheaper than my 18month broken one! Mother f**ker!

:CWL: now we know you are Samuel L Jackson! I do hope you get your PT cover fixed quickly.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

People, itā€™s a promotion, like the bundled charger and install, the free color or wheel upgrade and now the discounted PTC. They obviously want to move inventory before quarter end and likely also due to upcoming plant shutdown. Once the plant starts up again the R1 line will be refreshed.