Sponsored

Now You Know - Rivian lied

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
IMO, blogger posts like "XYZ Lied" are click bait. To me it's the same as the crappy political advertisments candidates post trashing each other. I didn't look at this video, and I'll be certain not to look at any posts by these clowns.
What else would you call it when you ask if a product works with the truck, the company says “no, it’s incompatible,” you buy it anyway and discover it does?
Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I've come to realize these two are terrible. But I do have to give them credit. For anyone that wants to save on $$, bought/is planning to buy the tent post their Rivian vehicle purchase, and have no concern about warranty length coverage, they did find a cost effective loophole.
Agreed. They've gone from "practical and useful experience" years ago in the early Tesla days to just milking their followers with teaser clickbait titles and longwinded opining.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Let’s assume my YouTube button is broken and unfortunately I’ll never be able to make it through this video. What exactly did Rivian lie about? Anyone care to paraphrase?
Something about the mattress?
I didn't open the video.
If / when Rivian lies, we'll hear all about it, no need to watch infomercial youtubers. : )

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
There are hard shell rooftop tents that are quick to set up and tear down, don't fill up with snow, dust, mud, and don't flap around like a parachute on the freeway. e.g. ARB, iKamper

Hopefully over time Rivian partners with a selection of "best of" brands – I'm surprised Rivian hasn't been fully prepared to do the Jeep thing (a catalog of aftermarket upgrades and accessories.) Ford did it with the Bronco … seems like an obvious win-win-win (for the customer, Ford and the aftermarket.)

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3, SC Bronson
Occupation
Product Development
Also. It’s a tent. I have never heard of anyone extolling there virtues of a tent warranty… I’m coming up on 5 years with my frontrunner RTT and it’s still in like new condition and I kept it mounted on my truck for 2 of those 5 years. Maybe not the smartest idea , but the point is it’s fine.

Most manufacturers of RTTs make mounting kits for different racks and Rivian’s racks are similar to many aero crossbars that come OEM. The main issue with the rivian is size of tent it can take.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I have tried to watch two of their previous videos (or maybe one that I tried to watch twice). I think I will be fine on missing out on any information they share.
yeah the first one was painful. Their lack of common knowledge as it pertains to the exact product they are claiming to be reviewing and have bought, was infuriating.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

What else would you call it when you ask if a product works with the truck, the company says “no, it’s incompatible,” you buy it anyway and discover it does?
You call it "Yakima made a mistake" not RIVIAN LIED! as rivian had nothing to do with their issue

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
You call it "Yakima made a mistake" not RIVIAN LIED! as rivian had nothing to do with their issue
They mention at the end of the video talking to both Rivian and Yakima about the issue. “Made a mistake” is quite generous.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Something about the mattress?
I didn't open the video.
If / when Rivian lies, we'll hear all about it, no need to watch infomercial youtubers. : )
They remarked on how comfortable it was.

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
There are hard shell rooftop tents that are quick to set up and tear down, don't fill up with snow, dust, mud, and don't flap around like a parachute on the freeway. e.g. ARB, iKamper

Hopefully over time Rivian partners with a selection of "best of" brands – I'm surprised Rivian hasn't been fully prepared to do the Jeep thing (a catalog of aftermarket upgrades and accessories.) Ford did it with the Bronco … seems like an obvious win-win-win (for the customer, Ford and the aftermarket.)
This is one area where I feel Rivian dropped the ball on their BEV pickup. An $80k premium pickup deserves to have a premium quality hard shell rooftop tent option from Rivian. Maybe it wasn’t offered due to weight restrictions on the bars and bed?

The Skycamp® 3.0 MinI for $3699…

Rivian R1T R1S Now You Know - Rivian lied C0003C66-2EC1-4135-8CBC-1F90C09A3457
Rivian R1T R1S Now You Know - Rivian lied 40F7C574-AB09-4658-8F30-DF88362B2AB6

Last edited:

Sponsored

rhuber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid, 64 Mustang
Since they claim it was Rivian who “lied” without any proof I reported the video to YouTube as “spam or misleading”, which I suggest others do as well. Even if Yakima said it won’t fit, it isn’t like Yakima is in some conspiratorial relationship with Rivian, as implied. These idiots are the reason YouTube’s perverse incentives around monetization suck.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

They mention at the end of the video talking to both Rivian and Yakima about the issue. “Made a mistake” is quite generous.
As much as it pained me to watch the video again and give them another view on their counter, I did for the sake of argument and at no point do they mention speaking to Rivian on the subject, only to Yakima. The site goes as far as to say they cannot confirm compatibility but if you look through their "Roof rack evaluation guidlines" the rivian is compatible due to how the mounts are supported.

So a hint of research online which these guys seem marginally capable of, would have answered their question prior to purchase
Rivian R1T R1S Now You Know - Rivian lied 1651940232211

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Jeez, why do I watch these guys? It sure appears they are being supported in some fashion by Tesla (Notice how son has a Tesla branded jacket on, and dad's jacket is zipped down enough so you can see the Tesla t-shirt). And God, their whiney-ness (is that a word???) I feel it's total masochism wasting 15 minutes of my time watching them. It's like a form of anorexia...Every time I watch them I want to throw up.

All right, it's time for me to now get off my whiney soap box.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Unknowledgeable sales staff
Sponsored