Now You Know - Rivian lied

SurlyBurris

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2001 Land Rover Disco II, R1T
I need to search Yakima’s parts to see if I can buy those mounts separately. They would be fairly easy to modify for my iKamper, thus making it easier to mount it to the truck…

Edit: And there it is for just $65:
https://yakima.com/products/skyrise-rail-w-clamp

Yes, very good find!!! I may see if my Thule Tepui rails/bolts will attach to these mounts instead of fabricating wider mounting plates. Should be easier to remove from the crossbars, save some scratching/damage to them and elevate the tent just a bit more to make getting into the bed easier from the sides.
Sponsored

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
You can get the tent without crossbars, and because you can shop at REI with a 20% discount right now and drive to a state without sales tax you can save money.

This is called “shopping”, or perhaps “shopping around”. It is also technically tax fraud, but as long as you don’t tell everyone you’re doing it you’ll be fine.
by telling everyone you mean conducting said fraud on video, and posting about it on the internet for all to see?

it would be a real shame, if someone reported their conduct to their state taxing authority.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
by telling everyone you mean conducting said fraud on video, and posting about it on the internet for all to see?

it would be a real shame, if someone reported their conduct to their state taxing authority.
If someone really wanted to do it, they also posted up their state, which has an easy tax fraud reporting hotline (https://blog.mass.gov/revenue/current-affairs-2/tax-fraud-hotline-followup/)

Luckily for them, they have until the end of the tax season to report the out of state purchase and pay the sales tax, which all of it would be a business expense anyway for their video.

We as viewers would never know they paid it and they get the clicks anyway with an exaggerated price difference.

For those who do intend on paying sales tax…

I calculated it on my adventure order. As someone pointed out, crossbars are included in the Rivian tent. The price difference for pre-march order after tax for me in my state was $262.56 between buying it direct from Rivian vs picking it up from the local REI.

Savings? Yea. Worth the hassle? Depends on how close you are to an REI.

How much was shipping? $189 plus tax, $200 total. Making the difference delivered $62.56. And the tent from Rivian still gets more warranty.

YMMV depending on your state obviously, but it’s far from the difference they make it out to be if you’re comparing like for like.

Reactions: sub

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The headline was Rivian lied. Yes, most of the comments in the video were about their interactions with Yakima, but they also mentioned "not trusting Rivian" which implies they talked to Rivian about it as well. Not that hard to infer.
If I say I don't trust Donald Trump or Joe Biden, does that imply that I talked to them?

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
If I say I don't trust Donald Trump or Joe Biden, does that imply that I talked to them?
It means they made a statement of some kind that you did not believe was accurate.

MichaelD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sprinter 4x4 camper van (170)
These geniuses don't even specify what it is that they're claiming Rivian lied about. They get a bad "will this work?" response from some poor Yakima customer service flunky and extrapolate that to representing an official statement from Yakima. And somehow Rivian gets a negative headline out of that.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
This is one area where I feel Rivian dropped the ball on their BEV pickup. An $80k premium pickup deserves to have a premium quality hard shell rooftop tent option from Rivian. Maybe it wasn’t offered due to weight restrictions on the bars and bed?

The Skycamp® 3.0 MinI for $3699…

C0003C66-2EC1-4135-8CBC-1F90C09A3457.jpeg
40F7C574-AB09-4658-8F30-DF88362B2AB6.jpeg
Weight limits and all the details of making things just work is why accessories have to be supported by the factory.
I don't think a pickup "needs" a rooftop camper, but Rivian is targeting the high end adventure market. "For people who really do drive their Range Rover off road" sort of thing. So I hope they're doing more for the aftermarket. I'd pay for a SmartCap bed shell for example. A winch (the factory winch is apparently cancelled.) I'd like a custom fridge-freezer in the gear tunnel with access through the hatch between the rear seats. The 180º tailgate would be a valuable upgrade. Just a bed step from AMP would be a real problem solver trying to get over the tailgate when it's open. Lots of ways for Rivian to generate "Jeep" revenue while seeding an enthusiast community.
Of course with the various governments of the world having turned the human pandemic into a manufacturing pandemic, it's hard to get just about anything manufactured and available.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
That's a meaningless plug if they don't provide context.
Meaningless or not, it's also a misleading header as people are going in with the psuedo-expectation of "Oh! What DId Rivian lie about?" and come to find out it wasn't Rivian at all.

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I could only make it through 3 minutes, not including the 2 minute mattress ad I skipped.

All I learned was that these guys are entitled.
These guys are also clueless. Only 293mi when the website said 314mi range? These guys definitely don't do their homework

Sponsored

OP
OP
mini2nut

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
These two are huge Tesla fanboys. They will strike gold when they take delivery of their Cybertruck next year. Good or bad they will praise the truck.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

It's not just the greater warranty, it's also getting a pair of crossbars included in the deal for the amount asked of the Tent via Rivian's venue.

Um, I can think of one specific <ahem> "activity" that can be done "sufficiently" enough in that tent to wear out that 5 yr warranty 😏
Well, if that one specific "activity" was done "sufficiently" enough, a family could swell by four or five new members in those 5 years. More, if twins or triplets run in either family.

That alone may render the tent insufficient for its intended purpose.

Remember, always use your "rain fly" correctly! 😉

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5