wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

Have you found where RIVIAN lied? At best, it should be “Yakima Lied” but that wouldn’t get any clicks. And I’d we willing to bet my Rivian that not even Yakima said it wouldn’t work. I’m betting whoever they talked to didn’t know and then these clowns conflated that with “it won’t work” and “Rivian told us that.” I reported this video as well.
Rivian didn't lie first off. The way they installed this via the video is not how it should installed per the instructions. Yakima is working on a clarification concerning this.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
r.e. winch – so I'm told, by a guide. No explanation, just no longer something to be expected.
as in they’re not doing one, ever, or just not this year?

Rivian didn't lie first off. The way they installed this via the video is not how it should installed per the instructions. Yakima is working on a clarification concerning this.
straight from the source!

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

r.e. winch – so I'm told, by a guide. No explanation, just no longer something to be expected.
as in they’re not doing one, ever, or just not this year?
Considering they just got the patent approved for the winch style bumper, it wouldn't make sense to completely shelve it. Maybe a delay until next year perhaps? None of us will likely know either way until it is released

Freddie

First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Wearing Tesla jacket and reviewing Rivian! What do you expect 😝
100 odd miles to the destination and asking whether R1 makes it with full charge… such a waste of time!

Sponsored

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
Considering they just got the patent approved for the winch style bumper, it wouldn't make sense to completely shelve it. Maybe a delay until next year perhaps? None of us will likely know either way until it is released
I've been "on the list" for the winch since asking some time in 2021. As we finalized delivery in January (which slipped into March…) it was definitely a real thing, along with the kitchen, shuttle and other things we know. Some time in March or April it went from "yes" to 'later." Then recently the winch went to "not happening." All I know is what's visible from the customer perspective. It seems to me these decisions are usually based on "take rate" … if they have 15,000 trucks to build this year, they probably want 5% or 10% of customers to express intent to purchase … it's hard to justify the early capital to burn on an accessory that sells 500 or less units … who knows what it takes to design, say $500K, to generate $50K in revenue is not likely to make it past the beancounters.

bike123.com

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 bolt 1 Kona ev
Occupation
Bicycle store proprietor
Clubs

We have been Yakima dealers since the 70’s.
Called to see if we could buy bars from them and they said rivian bars are unique
No problem paying the rivian tax they need the money .

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

You are correct - Yakima does not sell these directly. You will have to purchase bars directly from Rivian.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Meh, I dont need the tent, just planning on laying in the bed and closing the tonneau cover. Thats how I glamp.
while I am of average height, I’ll still too tall for this to work 😕

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
while I am of average height, I’ll still too tall for this to work 😕
Yeah Im 6' so probably wouldnt work so well unless the tonneau cover works with the gate open.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I have no opinion on the alleged inside info (except *giant fart noise*) but I can say with authority that patents don't mean shit. This one was filed years ago. Companies like Rivian will file every patent they can think of, whether it ever becomes a product or not. There's zero meaningful data here.

If you want evidence that they are semi serious about the winch, better evidence would be the fact that there is a test mule with a winch that has been sighted frequently and recently.
Sponsored