Sponsored

Not liking one pedal driving

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
My neighbor doesn't miss a thing that goes on in the neighborhood (yes, after nearly 4 years, yesterday was the day) so we weren't too surprised when he wandered over last night. I put him in the left seat, told him to expect pretty strong decelleration when he took his foot off the accelerator and within half a mile he had it down pat. He had never driven BEV before. This should calm those of you who are afraid of regen as well as those of you who know you won't like it even before you have tried it.
My R1T is my 3rd EVs with OPD, and each one reminds me of driving an electric go-karts or electric bumper karts; instant deceleration as soon as you lift off the Go pedal : )
Sponsored

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The habit is to keep my foot on the pedal that I used to stop the truck. That is always the brake in an ICE. But sometimes it is the accelerator in the R1T.
I guess my thought is wouldn't you still default to the brake, as you're new to OPD, especially during prolonged stops? At times I still find myself with my foot on the brake at stoplights or stop and go traffic, I've saved myself from exactly the scenario you described because my brain just defaulted to the brake. My point is more, in the rare need of an emergency stop I'm not futzing around with pedal modulation on the accelerator that's for sure.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

My neighbor doesn't miss a thing that goes on in the neighborhood (yes, after nearly 4 years, yesterday was the day) so we weren't too surprised when he wandered over last night. I put him in the left seat, told him to expect pretty strong decelleration when he took his foot off the accelerator and within half a mile he had it down pat. He had never driven BEV before. This should calm those of you who are afraid of regen as well as those of you who know you won't like it even before you have tried it.
This was my experience as well having never driven an EV prior to my First Mile drive. It definitely take a little getting used to not having the momentum keep rolling you forward but I got the hang of it within a couple miles. Now that I've been driving nothing but the R1T for a month now it feels pretty natural and I very rarely use the brake. The only times I've been a bit thrown off have been when I fully charged the battery for longer trips and the regen is very light or disabled with the full battery until I get 10-15 miles down the road.

atR1S

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Clubs

The R1T is my first EV and I got pretty used to the OPD in the first 15 minutes or so. It makes me focus more (not a bad thing) and it's fun to try to come to smooth stop approaching a red light without needing to use the brake pedal. The truck is in standard regen for me, which seems like plenty.

CyklopsPDX

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Audi Q5, 2017 Subaru Legacy
Occupation
Engineer
So there I was sitting at a stoplight behind another car practicing my OPD when an interesting RV went by. Watching it meant that I was not watching the car in front of me. No problem, my foot naturally pushed a bit on the pedal to keep me from rolling forward... Wife yelled at me as my foot was on the accelerator rather than the brake and we started edging forward toward the car in front of us. I know your eyes are rolling thinking what a bad driver I am. I am a bad driver. The only two things that keep me safe is knowing I am a bad driver, and all of my subconscious habits. Life long habits don't just disappear over night.
Ha.. Same exact scenario -though I was looking at the Spotify screen rather than an RV going by. I had my foot slightly touching the accelerator - apparently since the Rivian was in 'Hold' mode when I looked down I had relaxed a bit. The next thing I knew my wife yelled - "You're ROLLING!!" and I looked up to see exactly that. Great speed modulation on the pedal, for sure, but I keep my foot on the brake now.

Sponsored

WrekEE

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S on order, Model Y P, Tundra TRD Pro
Teslas have the creep mode which had regen but more like regular cars. And yes Rivian's Regen is really aggressive. Hope they make some adjustments in teh future.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Do any of you EV vets have to constantly switch between ICE and One Pedal driving? like driving work vehicle when you are at work and an EV to get to work. Or switching back and forth between your EV and spouse's ICE? That would be the case for me for at least another decade if I get the R1S. If any of you do, are you still OK with OPD?

The only reason I admit this in public is because my identity is kinda anonymous here (my wife still does not know about this). Once I took the wife's car to the shop because the windshield wiper nozzle was not working. The dude called me and said, they could not duplicate the problem. It turned out the problem was me. I had been switching between three cars constantly with each wiper working differently. I didn't drive one of them for a while and the reflex for the other ones took over when I did. I am sure the rest of you are not as senile but doing the same screw up with a break pedal makes me a bit nervous. Or if my wife had to drive it on a trip coming from the ICE every day,.... you get my drift. If it was the only car I drove, I would not be as concerned about inability to turn it off or lower regen. I wish it was like Lyriq allowing you precise regen control with your hands.

Last edited:

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Do any of you EV vets have to constantly switch between ICE and One Pedal driving? like driving work vehicle when you are at work and an EV to get to work. Or switching back and forth between your EV and spouse's ICE? That would be the case for me for at least another decade if I get the R1S. If any of you do, are you still OK with OPD?

The only reason I admit this in public is because my identity is kinda anonymous here (my wife still does not know about this). Once I took the wife's car to the shop because the windshield wiper nozzle was not working. The dude called me and said, they could not duplicate the problem. It turned out the problem was me. I had been switching between three cars constantly with each wiper working differently. I didn't drive one of them for a while and the reflex for the other ones took over when I did. I am sure the rest of you are not as senile but doing the same screw up with a break pedal makes me a bit nervous. Or if my wife had to drive it on a trip coming from the ICE every day,.... you get my drift. If it was the only car I drove, I would not be as concerned about inability to turn it off or lower regen. I wish it was like Lyriq allowing you precise regen control with your hands.

My wife has an ICE vehicle and often enough I'll take her car, I can pretty easily switch back and forth. The only thing that I really forget at times is the location of the gear shift and wondering why I can't move anywhere once I've gotten in and put my foot on the brake.

Reactions: Max

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Just got my R1T yesterday (😎). We have been driving EVs (Chevy Bolts) for almost 5 years, and OPD on the Rivian is normal, and feels just right. The other thing you need to if you are first getting used to OPD is that if you are coming off cruise, balance tha accelerator with the speed first…

SEPA R1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

My wife has an ICE vehicle and often enough I'll take her car, I can pretty easily switch back and forth. The only thing that I really forget at times is the location of the gear shift and wondering why I can't move anywhere once I've gotten in and put my foot on the brake.
Same here. And getting out of the ICE vehicle and forgetting to shut it off!! I freely admit it has happened on more than one occasion.

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I fully expect to have a learning curve as R1S will be my first EV. Will I miss coasting, probably yes because I do it a lot (to the point I like when my dash says I'm getting 99mpg, aka I've been coasting for a while). I'll have to learn that I can't completely take my foot off like I do now.

That being said, OPD seems pretty self explanatory to me. Pushing = go, not pushing = stop; a little push = a little go, a little off = a little stop. Two settings, one = a little stop, two = a lot of stop. And much like now, the other pedal - stop NOW!.

After reading through this thread, I'm not sure I'm missing much. A no regen or low regen or even a "learning" mode might be cool, but I think it's a WANT, not a NEED.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Do any of you EV vets have to constantly switch between ICE and One Pedal driving?
Constantly. I have a MINI Cooper SE (EV), a manual transmission Corvette, and a 4Runner. I have zero issue going between the EV and either of the other two cars. In fact, the only one I have to think about is the 4Runner since it doesn't go, turn, or stop as well as the other two...so you have to remember to do everything more slowly / leave more room.

SmorOfNaivir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Ford Maverick Lariat
For me, my comfort with R1T OPD is because of the (high) amount of travel in the accelerator.

In my Tesla MY, I was terribly uncomfortable with OPD - I turned it to "low" because I always felt that the regen was too 'jerky.' I had a terrible time controlling my vehicle in stop-and-go rush hour traffic. The travel in the accelerator of the MY was much less than the R1T, giving that amazing instant acceleration, but very touchy regen.

In my R1T, I'm completely comfortable with even the heavy regen setting. I'm sure that trying to live with the high regen of the Tesla trained me for the R1T's relative lower regen feel.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Up until yesterday when our R1T arrived (!) we would share our cars (one EV and one ICE) about equally depending on use case: larger ICE for cargo runs and road trips, smaller EV for commuting. It took me about 6 months of cognitive dissonance to get used to the changeover from OPD to ICE feeling. The problem wasnt going back to OPD but rather back to the ICE wherein by brain expected it to slow to a stop when I lifted my foot up.

EDIT: so far we have only tried the strong regen in the R1T and we both like it. I also feel like having most of my braking power available by lifting up my foot decreases the overall response time in an emergency braking situation.
Sponsored