Sponsored

Not liking one pedal driving

BigNerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Model Y SR, 22 Leaf, 22 Chevy Silverado
My point is most ICE vehicles do not slow down as abruptly as EVs when you remove your foot from the pedal.

in my full size truck I can coast at 40mph for more than a few seconds but you don’t seem to believe the physics supports that.

As @Craigins said, there are other dynamics at play other than just pure momentum physics with an ICE (or an EV).
Sponsored

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yes they did it for EPA ratings AND because drivers love it.
Drivers loving it doesn't explain why it can't be on by default and disableable. It's good, but if you drive aggressively in city stop and go (ie Chicago/nyc), it doesn't work.

I sure hope it's disabled in tow mode.

Last edited:

Revo

First Name
Revo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Occupation
Captain
I haven't driven an R1T, but are you fully releasing the pedal each time you are trying to stop instead of gradually backing off? In our Teslas, you can modulate the amount of regenerative braking by how far you back off the pedal. It's pretty easy to get it to be fairly smooth and once you're used to it its second nature. You shouldn't be limited to full regeneration or none at all.

I will say, however, that it can be a little disorienting getting back into an ICE vehicle after you've been driving an EV for a while because of the lack of regeneration and single pedal driving.
Works just like a Tesla and I love how smoothly it works.
Great job by Rivian.

R1T Launch Edition GW Large Pack 20 ATs
Loving it.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Drivers loving it doesn't explain why it can't be on by default and disableable.
Neither does the fact that it improves range for that matter. The supposition was that Rivian put it in their vehicles because it improved range, and it does. But an OEM wouldn't be able to sell a BEV that didn't have it. My little poll here showed 49 "love it" responses vs 2 "hate" it responses. Whether you should be able to turn it off or not (and I think most vehicles offer that option) is a separate question.

It's good, but if you drive aggressively in city stop and go (ie Chicago/nyc), it doesn't work.
It does indeed work very well. This comment tesll me that you haven't learned how to drive it properly

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
My point is most ICE vehicles do not slow down as abruptly as EVs when you remove your foot from the pedal.
That's going to depend on the gear the ICE vehicle is in and on whether the BEV has regen enabled or not,

in my full size truck I can coast at 40mph for more than a few seconds...
If your truck can maintain 40 mph at idle then that's true. If not, it's not true.

.. but you don’t seem to believe the physics supports that.
It's not a question of belief. The physics don't support that (unless your truck can sustain 40 mph in idle in the gear in question.

As @Craigins said, there are other dynamics at play other than just pure momentum physics with an ICE (or an EV).
Magic?

Sponsored

OldGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Grand Cherokee 4xe
Clubs

Growing up my mom had a mercury sable that would idle at 25mph lol. Made learning to drive interesting.
Finally, I have an answer to something I've always wondered about. You know, when you get behind someone at a stop light, the light changes to green, they accelerate and yet their brake lights stay on the whole time? Now I know why!....does your mom live or sell her car to someone who lives in North Carolina by chance? :D

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Had my First Drive today. Both me and the wife have never driven an EV before and found the high regen mode easy to get used to. We weren't perfect and would still need some adjusting but not far off.

Last edited:

NeuronBasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7, VW Taos
Clubs

It's my second day with the R1T and first experience with an EV of any sort. I am really liking the regen and one pedal driving. So much so that I turned regen up to high and don't plan to look back. I didn't expect to feel particularly strongly one way or another, but I'm a very quick convert.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Since we’ve beaten the regen issue to death, does anyone else find it weird that the turn signal stock doesn’t lock in an up or down position when fully engaged? Does any other car work this way? I travel quite a bit and rent cars a lot, and have never encountered a car whose turn signal stalk worked like the Rivian. I’m sure I’ll get used to it pretty quickly, but initially I would keep pushing it up or down expecting it to lock in place.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I don't see that. In an emergency stop you will have to hit the actual brake pedal to stop fast enough so you have to move your foot over either way. With OPD you have to make that switch in the middle of braking. I guess your brake lights come on sooner. But I prefer the amount of precision I have in braking with just the brake pedal rather than using both pedals to manage braking.
I guess we could call it two pedal braking rather than one pedal driving. Is it simpler because you don't have to use the brake pedal to drive, or more complex because you have to use two pedals to brake.
Perhaps all the reasons why we have been taught not to do two footed driving have gone away and we should switch to that. Leave your left foot sitting on the brake pedal without pushing it. No constant brake lights, no brake wear, no brake overheating. You could brake a lot faster. My mind just spins with the implications. BTW I think this is a bad idea, just speculating.

Sorry if this post sounds argumentative. I am just thinking out loud. Perhaps I should go for a drive in my new super cool truck and clear my head. Need to do some trailer towing tests.
Also not to sound argumentative, but in Driver's Education years ago, we were always taught to use your right foot for acceleration and braking, and leave your left foot on the dead pedal. This was always to be the case, unless Lefty was needed to bail out Righty when fit hit the shan, where both feet end up on the brake pedal. It's unnecessary, although a normal response when the guy in front of you sees the yellow light, and chickens out at the last second.

When using OPD, the slowing doesn't wait until your right foot hits the brake pedal. It's underway the instant you lift your foot from the accelerator. I got used to OPD when I started driving my PHEV six years ago. After getting used to it, I very rarely touch my brake pedal. If Rivian used complex, costly circuitry to add regen to that brake pedal, I know I would capture very, very little energy from having that expensive technology in place.

I truly believe what others have said here, and that is, once you get used to true One Pedal Driving (meaning pushing down to go faster and lifting to go slower, and ultimately stopping), the few times you need to forcibly apply the brakes won't provide much more energy in total than the regen that started the instant you took your foot off of the accelerator.

That's another way of saying that while your pressure on the brake may not provide regen, the regen is already taking place simply by lifting that same foot off the accelerator.

I've noticed a more ICE-like experience by driving in Conserve mode with the lower Regen setting on. It would be nice to have the more traditional "coasting" experience while cruising on the freeways, but I'm so comfortable (especially with Conserve/lowest Regen settings) that I'm beginning to consider unloading a few of my dinosaur-diners. I now detest having to use my brake pedal for every stop, and many slowing events.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Since we’ve beaten the regen issue to death, does anyone else find it weird that the turn signal stock doesn’t lock in an up or down position when fully engaged? Does any other car work this way? I travel quite a bit and rent cars a lot, and have never encountered a car whose turn signal stalk worked like the Rivian. I’m sure I’ll get used to it pretty quickly, but initially I would keep pushing it up or down expecting it to lock in place.
I.... don't think my Volvo stays in a position... but I could be wrong.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Greg,

I'm with you, in that I wish the signaling stalk would lock into the Left or Right hand turn position until the turn has been completed.

My bigger gripe is that I'm not yet used to the slight tap it takes for a three-beep lane change. As I like having the steering wheel as close to me and as low as possible, the top of it blocks my view of the signal indicating that I made a left-hand move to the fast lane eight miles back. I've become that old guy that I always detested in the past. One major difference is that I suspect he wasn't kept from hearing the signal indicator's beeping sound by having Led Zeppelin's album, Presence, cranked to concert-level volume. Side 2, track 1 says it all: "Nobody's Fault but Mine."

I'm sure I'll get used to that new-agey turn signal thingy, just as I've learned to accept most everything new. Disco was one glaring exception, and I'm proud of my defiance. Bring on Zep!!!

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
Just got my R1T and I love her 1 pedal drive.The throttle lead in can be better; too much free play intially but this can be resolved with OTA updates!

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Just got my R1T and I love her 1 pedal drive.The throttle lead can be better; too free play intially but this can be resolved with OTA updates!
Exactly my experience. Due to accumulated junk in my garage, I have to back to within a few inches of stuff to get the truck fully in. That’s kinda tricky with the way the pedal is currently configured. I have to basically do two foot and two pedal driving when backing in because it feels like the truck is going to lunge when I’m having to put so much force and travel into the go pedal to make the track release from its hold. Definitely room for improvement.
Sponsored