First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The OPD will really throw you forward in your seat if you let all the way up while doing 25 mph or so. I breaks so hard that I worry about the car behind me hitting me. If I let up while looking to the left to clear for a merge it makes my head bob and is very disorienting.
I finally got to drive one over the weekend (First Mile) and I think the quote is quite exaggerated. Coming from Tesla I'd say the regen is a bit stronger. Taking one's foot completely off the pedal going about 25 mph brakes to almost but not quite the traction limit on my gravel driveway. The system gain is set to 11. It should take a Tesla driver about half a mile to learn to use it smoothly.
Sponsored

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Taking one's foot completely off the pedal going about 25 mph brakes to almost but not quite the traction limit.
LOL. The traction/grip limit while braking even on the AT tires will be more than 0.8G. There's literally no way you'll see that kind of deceleration from regen alone. Many regen systems are topping out just over 0.2G, which is strong, but nowhere near the limits of the tires.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The traction/grip limit while braking even on the AT tires will be more than 0.8G.
My first reaction was "What's he talking about?" because it surely doesn't take anything like 0.8 g to break traction in my gravel driveway. So I looked at my post and saw that I had neglected to mention the important fact that I was describing a fairly loose gravel substrate. So I've fixed the post and even bolded "gravel". Sorry about that folks.

It was interesting in that the perception was more heard (the sound of the gravel itself) than felt. I think we were just about to go over the blip at the top of the torque/slip curve but the computer caught it before we did.

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

My first reaction was "What's he talking about?" because it surely doesn't take anything like 0.8 g to break traction in my gravel driveway. So I looked at my post and saw that I had neglected to mention the important fact that I was describing a fairly loose gravel substrate. So I've fixed the post and even bolded "gravel". Sorry about that folks.
That certainly makes a big difference. :giggle:

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

we have to be open to the possibility that regen strength is not yet consistent across all these new builds so our experiences may vary. At my test drive, I thought the R1T regen was strong but not surprising coming from an older i3.

one feature I did find clever in the i3 is that it socialized the idea of OPD by visualizing the pedal travel using a curved bar on the drivers display with a neutral “coast point” in the middle/bottom of the bar, that way you could see where you were in the control regime.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
one feature I did find clever in the i3 is that it socialized the idea of OPD by visualizing the pedal travel using a curved bar on the drivers display with a neutral “coast point” in the middle/bottom of the bar, that way you could see where you were in the control regime.
Socialized?
Anyway i think that "meter" is probably simply a battery power meter. On the Tesla MX it is even calibrated in kW. When nothing is going into the battery and nothing is going out (0 power) you are indeed coasting, The X also displays, adjacent to the power meter, consumption (Wh/mi) against distance driven. Very informative display, I wish the Rivian had it..

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Socialized?
Anyway i think that "meter" is probably simply a battery power meter. On the Tesla MX it is even calibrated in kW. When nothing is going into the battery and nothing is going out (0 power) you are indeed coasting, The X also displays, adjacent to the power meter, consumption (Wh/mi) against distance driven. Very informative display, I wish the Rivian had it..
It was trying to get people who were new to EVs used to the idea. I think you’re right that it’s more of a power meter, because it shows when power was reduced due to a cold battery by greying out some of that meter range. But it did still emphasize the “coast” position more. However it’s done, it would help people who are new to OPD.

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
So there I was sitting at a stoplight behind another car practicing my OPD when an interesting RV went by. Watching it meant that I was not watching the car in front of me. No problem, my foot naturally pushed a bit on the pedal to keep me from rolling forward... Wife yelled at me as my foot was on the accelerator rather than the brake and we started edging forward toward the car in front of us. I know your eyes are rolling thinking what a bad driver I am. I am a bad driver. The only two things that keep me safe is knowing I am a bad driver, and all of my subconscious habits. Life long habits don't just disappear over night.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
So there I was sitting at a stoplight behind another car practicing my OPD when an interesting RV went by. Watching it meant that I was not watching the car in front of me. No problem, my foot naturally pushed a bit on the pedal to keep me from rolling forward... Wife yelled at me as my foot was on the accelerator rather than the brake and we started edging forward toward the car in front of us. I know your eyes are rolling thinking what a bad driver I am. I am a bad driver. The only two things that keep me safe is knowing I am a bad driver, and all of my subconscious habits. Life long habits don't just disappear over night.
Is your lifelong habit to cover the accelerator vs the brake pedal?

Sponsored

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
Is your lifelong habit to cover the accelerator vs the brake pedal?
The habit is to keep my foot on the pedal that I used to stop the truck. That is always the brake in an ICE. But sometimes it is the accelerator in the R1T.

Last edited:

GEON

First Name
GEON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Honda Ridgeline
Occupation
Technology Executive
For those that have driven EV's before (Especially Tesla Owners) do you use standard of high level of regen? On my first mile drive I noticed that the R1T will regen brake to a stop (unlike Tesla) but I don't know what setting that was during the test drive (assume Standard)...

What setting are you using?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
For those that have driven EV's before (Especially Tesla Owners) do you use standard of high level of regen? On my first mile drive I noticed that the R1T will regen brake to a stop (unlike Tesla) but I don't know what setting that was during the test drive (assume Standard)...

What setting are you using?
I use high on Tesla, the lowest setting on Rivian seems pretty close to the highest setting on my Model S.

FourJo

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
we have to be open to the possibility that regen strength is not yet consistent across all these new builds so our experiences may vary. At my test drive, I thought the R1T regen was strong but not surprising coming from an older i3.

agree

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
It should take a Tesla driver about half a mile to learn to use it smoothly.
My neighbor doesn't miss a thing that goes on in the neighborhood (yes, after nearly 4 years, yesterday was the day) so we weren't too surprised when he wandered over last night. I put him in the left seat, told him to expect pretty strong decelleration when he took his foot off the accelerator and within half a mile he had it down pat. He had never driven BEV before. This should calm those of you who are afraid of regen as well as those of you who know you won't like it even before you have tried it.
Sponsored

Last edited: