First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I am not liking OPD in my new Rivian. I wish I could turn it off. I know that it saves energy but for me it is dangerous and annoying.
I have about 1200 miles and 2 weeks in my Rivian. The OPD will really throw you forward in your seat if you let all the way up while doing 25 mph or so. I breaks so hard that I worry about the car behind me hitting me. If I let up while looking to the left to clear for a merge it makes my head bob and is very disorienting.
It makes my passengers have a much less smooth ride. I am the smoothest driver in my family and seldom make anyone motion sick on the curvy roads to our lake cabin. But not with OPD, I just about made myself sick last weekend.
When I get back in a normal vehicle I get surprised the first stop I come to before I switch my mind back to normal driving. There are so many new things to get used in a new vehicle this just makes it that much harder.

I figured I would get used to it but I don't seem to be making any progress.

I am thinking of calling my guide and putting in a feature request but though I would get some feedback here first.
Sponsored

Alex D

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Business Owner
You must be new to EVs as a whole. Don’t worry, you get used to it and after a while you wonder how you lived without it.

Going from a model 3 to an Etron, good one pedal driving is one of the things I miss the most and I hated the feature at first.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

I haven't driven an R1T, but are you fully releasing the pedal each time you are trying to stop instead of gradually backing off? In our Teslas, you can modulate the amount of regenerative braking by how far you back off the pedal. It's pretty easy to get it to be fairly smooth and once you're used to it its second nature. You shouldn't be limited to full regeneration or none at all.

I will say, however, that it can be a little disorienting getting back into an ICE vehicle after you've been driving an EV for a while because of the lack of regeneration and single pedal driving.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I have driven a Tesla since 2014 and when I drove the Rivian on my test drive the first thing I noticed was how heavy and more noticeable the regen was compared to my Tesla. I'm sure its that way to recoup as much energy as it can since it's such a heavy and inefficient EV (compared to most).

Definitely something even I will need to get used to but confident that I will once I start driving it.

A few years in Tesla introduced a "chill mode" that I use a lot when I'm driving with passengers like my partner who gets motion sick. It limits rate of acceleration and also makes it less abrupt with more coast when you lift off. https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modelx/en_us/GUID-43B58CAD-3DB7-4421-BFCA-0E921B6F731D.html

I would love something like chill mode in the Rivian. I commute in heavy traffic and leave it on chill a lot of the time.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The OPD will really throw you forward in your seat if you let all the way up while doing 25 mph or so. I breaks so hard that I worry about the car behind me hitting me. If I let up while looking to the left to clear for a merge it makes my head bob and is very disorienting.
Try to think about gradually pulling your foot off the right pedal, and aim to never (or rarely) use the break pedal. You should get used to it, but it may take a different way of thinking about what the right pedal is for. Which is speed modulation, not just acceleration. Rapidly taking your foot off it completely is the equivalent to hitting the breaks quite hard... as you've noticed.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
I'm really not a fan of the way Rivian does regen. It's much too forceful in the lowest setting.

I'm NOT new to EVs but the R1T is the first one where the lowest regen setting will slam you back into your seat if you release the pedal.

It's a big miss and the setting should be more adjustable.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

My second EV (but you cannot count a LEAF as an EV ;)....absolutely love the regen braking, so much so when I get in my wifes Lexus RX450H Hybrid, I hate using a traditional brake and am wondering why it isn't braking on it's own ;).........you'll get used to it....and of course it's modulated based upon pedal release rate....

guernsej

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Raptor; 2015 X5

Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Regen braking activates brake lights, so it's unlikely to be a contributor to rear end collision risk
This will likely lead to many drivers behind a Rivian assuming they are being brake checked. Some people don't care about this but I definitely do. There should be a setting where the regen is just strong enough to slow the vehicle down but not enough to activate the brake lights. This is the setting I would use personally.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

This will likely lead to many drivers behind a Rivian assuming they are being brake checked. Some people don't care about this but I definitely do. There should be a setting where the regen is just strong enough to slow the vehicle down but not enough to activate the brake lights. This is the setting I would use personally.
Maybe if someone is new to regen braking, but if you do it correctly you just start slow down as you modulate speed - to the driver behind you it should look no differently than me slowing down by gently pressing down the brake to reduce speed.

If someone is new to regen braking and they just pull their foot off the pedal, that is very much like someone pressing hard on a brake and could look like a brake check. But, like I said, that shouldn't be the case after a short time (It literally took me 15 minutes on my test drive to realize that the right way to decelerate was to gently reduce pressure on the accelerator vs just lifting my foot off).

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I find regen to be one of the best features on an EV, particularly in traffic. I found I preferred the Standard regen setting when I drove the R1T. Compared to the Model S, it is a bit harder to modulate deceleration. Something I would expect to get used to over time.

One question, when you put the R1T in cruise control is the ride smoother? I didn't have the chance to use it in my R1T test drive.

On the safety side, EVs drive differently from ICEs and are unpredictable to some extent to other drivers not familiar with these differences. They change speed more quickly in general and stop more quickly--particularly on autopilot. When you want to stop quickly in an EVE with regen, the vehicle is slowing down as soon as you remove your foot from the accelerator and shift it to the brake pedal. ICE vehicles coast during that short transition time. Add in reaction time, and you can see where stopping faster might avoid the EV hitting the car in front of it in some cases and increasing the risk of being rear-ended in others.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Everyone has nailed it with their comments. You can’t simply pull your foot of the accelerator pedal and you must simply learn to adjust your pressure on the pedal to slow down.
Sponsored