First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
The funny part about that is injection molding is cheaper than 3D printing as a manufacturing technique if you order a high enough volume. Last I was doing custom physical parts ordering the breaking point was in the hundreds of units... not enormous numbers.
Yes, but the mold is the wild card. Molds can run $3,000 at the very cheap end to $20,000 or more depending on the complexity of the cavity. With a limited market size initially, if they want to recover a $10,000 mold cost over a run of 1,000 units, that's $10 per piece. Also, prior to COVID, I know that lead time for molds (from US companies I know of) was 2-4 months, so I think this is a pretty good example of where 3D printing gets the product to market quickly and cost effectively.

All things considered, I don't have a problem with their price point. GM gets $30 - $40 for an injection molded front license plate holder - I had to buy a replacement for my Avalanche, ultimately I found an overstock/closeout on Rock Auto for around $10 plus shipping.
Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Here is the included mount. Looks clean IMO but I specifically asked the service tech if it was going to impact the camera, he said it wouldn’t but it clearly does.
Thanks for this, might want to open a support ticket to Rivian and complain about it. Maybe they will adjust the 360 camera cutoff and get rid of it which would help all of us too :)

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just got mine in the mail! It looks very solid and the mechanism to attach too. I like their packaging. Now just waiting on my truck to finally arrive. Been delayed by a week, crossing my fingers everything is ok.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Slightly off topic, but I'm curious.

Lots of interest in these "no drill" type mounts. I've driven in two states for 25+ years, all requiring a front plate. I simply didn't put one on. Received maybe 3-4 tickets in my life. Worth it.

If you use a "no drill" mount, the intention is for the plate to be there all the time anyway. So why not just drill it? Does it matter if it doesn't have holes underneath since you'll never take it off? Most say you'll remove it, but let's be honest :p, nobody is doing that.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

Lots of interest in these "no drill" type mounts. I've driven in two states for 25+ years, all requiring a front plate. I simply didn't put one on. Received maybe 3-4 tickets in my life. Worth it.

If you use a "no drill" mount, the intention is for the plate to be there all the time anyway. So why not just drill it? Does it matter if it doesn't have holes underneath since you'll never take it off? Most say you'll remove it, but let's be honest :p, nobody is doing that.
I'm probably an edge case, but I plan on purchasing this only to use when parked on city streets (relatively rare for me). Where I live, you won't get pulled over for not having a front plate, but it's almost 100% guaranteed parking ticket if you park on a city street without one. Especially anywhere near the city center. 2 avoided $75 tickets and the snapplate pays for itself. I averaged about 4 or 5 tickets/year with my old car. I'd like to avoid that this time around.

Sponsored

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I will be removing it on and off, thats a given.

OP
OP
ADVNOW

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

I only put it on when parking in certain cities that I know are an issue (the issue is with parking enforcement officers) driving around its not an issue. I only need it about 2% of the total parking time the rest of the time its off. But saves on that $75 fix it ticket in those areas.

Robotpedlr

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivan R1S
Occupation
Sales
I'm probably an edge case, but I plan on purchasing this only to use when parked on city streets (relatively rare for me). Where I live, you won't get pulled over for not having a front plate, but it's almost 100% guaranteed parking ticket if you park on a city street without one. Especially anywhere near the city center. 2 avoided $75 tickets and the snapplate pays for itself. I averaged about 4 or 5 tickets/year with my old car. I'd like to avoid that this time around.
This is exactly my approach with my snap plate on my Tesla. Best of both worlds

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

my only concern is someone stealing the snap plate... so screwing it locked is a must

OP
OP
ADVNOW

ADVNOW

First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler JK, JL 4XE
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

Not to concerned on someone taking it. There is a button head star drive with security pin screw that you put in to prevent theft. there is also a star driver with security pin indent included with the kit.
Rivian R1T R1S No Drill License Plate - Snap Plate by EveryAmp 20220608_155520

Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

Here is the included mount. Looks clean IMO but I specifically asked the service tech if it was going to impact the camera, he said it wouldn’t but it clearly does.

FA53109C-D54F-43B0-B7E8-1203E20D948C.jpeg

DD1AA375-F263-469D-B8EB-5A59AC7FB7AD.jpeg
This had me concerned so I brought out the painter's tape and tried to line things up as best as I could. I started with the stock plate mount taped on to the bumper and lined up the front line with the straightest line in the two W's on the curb. Note the extra shadow in front of the blue painter's tape.
Rivian R1T R1S No Drill License Plate - Snap Plate by EveryAmp ?hash=95eda0c550548d79796ba48bf6a412c0

After removing the plate mount you can see there is more "road" in the curved corners, but that's it! The edge of the blue painter's tape from the first image lines up with the softer edge of the shadow in the second image.
There is something funky happening on the corners. For example in the passenger front corner there is some extra blue paint on the lower part of the curb which does not exist, as you can see in the last image.
Rivian R1T R1S No Drill License Plate - Snap Plate by EveryAmp PXL_20220612_160740724

Rivian R1T R1S No Drill License Plate - Snap Plate by EveryAmp PXL_20220612_161027241

Ultimately I think the stock plate mount only appears to block some visibility. I believe that space that it is "blocking" on the corners is full of false stitching artifacts and should not be trusted anyway. Additionally, it looks like there might be a few extra inches of space in front of the truck inside the black space.

Attachments

EveryAmp

Site Sponsor
First Name
EveryAmp
Threads
Reaction score
Website
everyamp.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, & Model Y
my only concern is someone stealing the snap plate... so screwing it locked is a must
Personally we've never locked ours for a few reasons:
- Most people don't know what it is or how to actuate it, especially with the Rivian version's recessed actuator.
- SnapPlate is vehicle specific so that limits the population who would want to steal it greatly.
- Anyone who walks up to your vehicle will be looking right into your cameras. Make for great video content I guess.

That aside we still provide the option to make it even harder to remove for the peace of mind of those who want it.

pklomboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Personally we've never locked ours for a few reasons:
- Most people don't know what it is or how to actuate it, especially with the Rivian version's recessed actuator.
- SnapPlate is vehicle specific so that limits the population who would want to steal it greatly.
- Anyone who walks up to your vehicle will be looking right into your cameras. Make for great video content I guess.

That aside we still provide the option to make it even harder to remove for the peace of mind of those who want it.
awesome! thanks for your concern!

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, mine lasted a bit over a year before giving up somewhere between home and upstate NY. Locking screw installed.

Has anyone else lost theirs yet?

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
There she goes....

Sponsored