Sponsored

My solution for crossbar wind noise (requires 3D printer)

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

I made this plastic inserts a while ago, figured I might share it as well.

Link to files: https://www.printables.com/model/791507-rivian-crossbar-inserts-set-of-180mm-270mm-540mm-l

Printed in 3 peaces from ASA, PETG should work too but I think ASA is better for UV resistance.
I think you could also print this in color to match paint of the truck.

The set for a pair of crossbars would cost about $1.50 in filament, and 4.5 hours on modern printers.

In slicer it can be cut or shrink/extended to fit your specific application, in picture below I scaled it to fit with my crossbar mounted KC lights.
Rivian R1T R1S My solution for crossbar wind noise (requires 3D printer) Screenshot 2023-12-31 at 1.24.56ā€ÆPM

This is picture from test pieces I made (PLA), it actually removed the whistling noise. Tested on highway.

Rivian R1T R1S My solution for crossbar wind noise (requires 3D printer) IMG_7996 Lar

Rivian R1T R1S My solution for crossbar wind noise (requires 3D printer) IMG_7997 Lar

I still yet to upload it to a websites fro 3D printed parts, can anyone recommend a good site? I think I will try printables . com...
Sponsored

Last edited:

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Printables is your best bet! :)

If it's in direct sun, I'd go ASA for the UV resistance. PETG will end up fading.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

+1 for printables. That's practically the only place I upload to these days.

I've not had any wind noise issues, but I'll keep this in my back pocket should it ever become a thing... thanks!

Reactions: IGR
OP
OP
IGR

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

good point, but this:

IMG_8713.jpeg
Funniest part of this joke is $300 for a printer. Sure you can go get your ender for that, and the first thing you'll do is spend $300 more and hours upon hours on enhancements actually making it "work"

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

OP
OP
IGR

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Funniest part of this joke is $300 for a printer. Sure you can go get your ender for that, and the first thing you'll do is spend $300 more and hours upon hours on enhancements actually making it "work"
I think nowadays you can get a decent printer for that money that works out of box. I had no issues with QIDI, and even at work we use their commercial variant.

@RWerksman & @R1Thor I just uploaded files to printables, thanks for advice :)

c4denc3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Clubs

I think nowadays you can get a decent printer for that money that works out of box. I had no issues with QIDI, and even at work we use their commercial variant.

@RWerksman & @R1Thor I just uploaded files to printables, thanks for advice :)
Thanks for this! Once I figure out why the heck none of my prints are sticking to the bed, Iā€™ll print these. Iā€™ve printed a few things which came out great and now nothing wants to stick. Iā€™ll have to do some more troubleshooting.

Reactions: IGR
OP
OP
IGR

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

Thanks for this! Once I figure out why the heck none of my prints are sticking to the bed, Iā€™ll print these. Iā€™ve printed a few things which came out great and now nothing wants to stick. Iā€™ll have to do some more troubleshooting.
I feel you, this is the hardest part when you use more advanced filaments like ASA, Nylon, PC, etc... it took me a few tries to get it right.
In case of ASA it likes to warp, so what worked for me is dialing Z-offset down to +/-0.01mm, luckily this particular print is low profile so it doesn't get a chance to warp.
Good luck!

dradam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S OC LA Silver 21 as of Nov 3, 2022 !!
I like printables.com. would love to try this if you post it.
I had whislting from my cross bars and put electrical tape in the leading edge of the vetricle struts over the seam. Saw it on a reddit post and it actually works
Sponsored