First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
Also, an 800v motor can literally run twice as fast as a 400v one, as high as 20,000 RPM (Formula One, here we come with our R1F1 :). I've read studies that say 800v will be the standard much sooner than some expect, perhaps in as little as 3 years.
I think it's twice the power, not twice the RPM. The Power is significantly the heat from the amount of current. Doubling the voltage can get twice the total power for similar amounts of heat. But maybe with twice the power they can adjust the RPM? I would have thought the RPM was also limited by the centrifugal forces. When Tesla made their latest motors with high RPM they had to do some fancy carbon wrap around it to keep it together.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Also, an 800v motor can literally run twice as fast as a 400v one, as high as 20,000 RPM (Formula One, here we come with our R1F1 :). I've read studies that say 800v will be the standard much sooner than some expect, perhaps in as little as 3 years.
Would it be worthwhile for Rivian to stage implementation by releasing a 800v capable battery first with 400v motors, and then later introducing the 800v motors.

Or is it better, cheaper, cleaner to introduce both 800v battery + motor at once?

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I wonder if anyone has compared the regen heat throttling between the QM water cooled and the DM oil/water cooled.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
As an owner, I will be jealous of the updated electronics and simplifications in the R1 line. As a fan/stockholder I am glad they are focusing on these aspects of improving the platform. I think the R1 platform is outstanding and only going to get better.

We have also hear a lot about a higher performance flagship R1 model and maybe that will use a different battery pack? Seems unlikely it would not use the max pack or large pack..... but possibly it's tweaked in some way to make it a different part.

Bring on the 2 door Extended cab long bed work truck!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

We have also hear a lot about a higher performance flagship R1 model and maybe that will use a different battery pack? Seems unlikely it would not use the max pack or large pack..... but possibly it's tweaked in some way to make it a different part.
I'm actually pretty curious if this means Rivian is still targeting 400 miles of range with a slightly higher energy Max Pack to slot in with the quads. Would definitely give me reason to upgrade since we bought a travel trailer a couple weeks back.

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
Hence a multi week shutdown. A two week shutdown is HUGE in a business where you’re measuring revenue in the millions per hour.
Ford shut down the Lightning line for 6 weeks for retooling and expansion of the line this summer so it's not that extraordinary in the industry.

OP
OP

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Energy density at battery *pack* level (not cell). If Rivian can cut further mass from the pack, they should be able to improve these numbers, which seem already competitive:

Rivian R1T R1S New Battery Pack Design (not Standard Pack) & Architecture Coming in 2024 confirms Rivian CFO IMG_7531

Rivian R1T R1S New Battery Pack Design (not Standard Pack) & Architecture Coming in 2024 confirms Rivian CFO IMG_7532

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S PDM MP, 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE
The speculation is getting a bit crazy. I would bet the changes that the CFO mentioned equate to fewer miles of wire, less complex battery pack assembly and fewer silicon chips and that these changes will have little, if any, impact on charging speed, battery capacity or powertrain efficiency (outside of weight savings).

People who think we're going to see 800V on the R1 in 2024 are going to be very disappointed.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Payload. Max pack is slightly heavier. You could end up with a configuration that wouldn't allow a driver plus 10% tongue weight of a 11k trailer.

This zonal change is likely going to mean payloads go up without any other change to the frame or body because of less weight in electronics. Of course I'd personally still like to see Rivian bump the numbers up slightly on top of that change too.
No, it's not. higher energy dense cells are not heavier.

Would it be worthwhile for Rivian to stage implementation by releasing a 800v capable battery first with 400v motors, and then later introducing the 800v motors.

Or is it better, cheaper, cleaner to introduce both 800v battery + motor at once?
We aren't getting 800v packs. Internally, rivian couldn't afford the R&D to add just two extra modules to the large pack. They kept it simple, went with plan B that kept redesign costs down, complexity at a minimum, and got max pack reservation holders off their books. They aren't going to jeopardize the current path to profitability by throwing a completely new battery pack at their lines. Again, this is the CFO giving information, the money person. That's the lense they look through. I'm convinced that rivian will keep the same pack form factor and just drop in different cells to turn it into 1 of their 3 packs.

As for quad Enduro 800v, yes, I think that is on the roadmap, and yes, I think you are right that those are going to be done hand in hand. Will they be done at the time of line shutdown? Nope.

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
As an owner, I will be jealous of the updated electronics and simplifications in the R1 line. As a fan/stockholder I am glad they are focusing on these aspects of improving the platform.
As an owner, I will have enjoyed my R1T for a full TWO YEARS before Rivian starts shipping the improved platform.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't trade those two years for anything. If I like the new platform enough I will trade up! The absolute WORST thing to do would be to wait until 800V and other improvements were introduced - you would be wasting so much time that you can't replace.

RivRyan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tundra, ID4
Occupation
consulting
It's only true universally in the sense that you're weighing exactly what you're extracting energy from and nothing else. In this case, the weight of the energy is a rounding error to the weight of the substance it's being pulled from. Without knowing what else is changing, we have no idea whether it's heavier or lighter. A microgram of additional plastic in the framing would negate the weight savings.