Sponsored

MTB Tailgate Pad

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Those look really nice! I need a spot for four bikes though, will contact them to see if they can make one.
You can add as many cradles as you want. I have to try it out to see how much the handlebars of 3 bikes will hit each other, and consider adding a 4th later
Sponsored

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
@RedDragon thanks for sharing! A very interesting option to consider. How stable are the bikes? Think it's sufficient to handle a fast drive on logging roads without the bikes shifting too much?

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

Not sure how many bike racks would do well in that situation....

The rear wheels are not anchored down, so if you want to try that I would use the rear bed cargo loops and wrap ratchet straps over the rear wheels or over the frames to anchor them down. I think that would be super sturdy.

Make sure you use the included front wheel straps to anchor the front wheels to the cradles like in the pics I posted.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
Dakine DLX Small

IMG_0904.jpeg
This was a good idea but I don't have the cross bars yet. I used a bungee like this. Easy, fast and makes putting the pad on much easier.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 52142121333_48542476d4_b

The bike isn't super secure due to the extra fat tailgate but with another bungee around the seat tube it didn't budge.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 52140551108_764acb6a7a_b

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
I've tried lots of different options over many years, what I finally settled on is a North shore rack. Super adjustable, extremely strong, very well built with no plastic bits to break. It is a bit heavy but that's the only downside I've experienced. Keeps bed free for other stuff, very fast to load bikes. I can fit my kids fat tire bikes and my heavy ebike easily. Single and dual crown both work.

20220528_093241.jpg

20220528_093228.jpg
Nice Delirium 🤘

Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Used the small evoc today. Put an extra piece of foam padding against the tailgate ridge just in case, but goes on easily and doesn’t block cameras. The proximity sensor lit up initially, but went away as soon as I started moving. I’ll use the hitch rack for more than 1 bike, but that is a rarity
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 8CBA2BC1-8DE2-4EBC-A9CA-278CEC29B9BE
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 74F9AA4D-C183-419A-9643-54B46146E812

p3ck

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I would add PPF to the tailgate if I was going to use the tailgate pad. I know the pads usually have a nice felt liner but all you need is some dust and dirt from the road to get under the pad and you have crazy scratches.

Greg614

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (on order)
Maybe this will force us all to get the cargo crossbars...

I just need to try lifting a 50lb eMTB that high off the ground.
I just bought a Specialized Turbo S Levo eMTB last week and have a R1S on preorder with the cargo crossbars … so I was wondering the exact same thing. How to MTB regularly … and I’m considering changing my order to a R1T to get it (much) sooner.

I’m guessing lifting a 48 pound bike on top of a R1S is asking for an eventual ding.

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I just bought a Specialized Turbo S Levo eMTB last week and have a R1S on preorder with the cargo crossbars … so I was wondering the exact same thing. How to MTB regularly … and I’m considering changing my order to a R1T to get it (much) sooner.

I’m guessing lifting a 48 pound bike on top of a R1S is asking for an eventual ding.
I have the same bike and it's awesome. But getting it onto the roof of an R1S would be a near impossible task. Lifting my Levo onto my hitch mount is difficult enough -- there's no way I could lift it onto the roof with any sort of leverage or stability. If you're unwilling to consider an R1T, I think your only reasonable solution is a hitch mounted bike rack. Plenty of good options out there.

Sponsored

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
It sounds like electric lifts are the next thing.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Used the small evoc today. Put an extra piece of foam padding against the tailgate ridge just in case, but goes on easily and doesn’t block cameras. The proximity sensor lit up initially, but went away as soon as I started moving. I’ll use the hitch rack for more than 1 bike, but that is a rarity
8CBA2BC1-8DE2-4EBC-A9CA-278CEC29B9BE.jpeg
74F9AA4D-C183-419A-9643-54B46146E812.jpeg
Thanks for this. This would be a simpler on and off that the full Dakine tailgate pad I have been using and I'm also a single bike hauler.

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just picked up the Thule Gatemate Pro (Small). First time truck owner so certainly first time doing this :)

Test fitted my favorite eMTB - Trek Rail (Large) and wifes XS Levo SL. Fits with good room to spare and feels snug. I am worried with the pressure the fork puts on the tailgate, I don't know if this is a real concern though. The downtube straps DO fit these bikes, but I have a larger eMTB that I don't see fitting.

Haven't driven at all with it yet.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG-1887

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG-1889

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG-1890

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I found the ultimate solution for me. It's made by Ride88 and they just made a Rivian specific kit. This thing is awesome. I didn't want a tailgate pad because I didn't want to risk scratching or denting my tailgate and didn't want to mess around with straps. The system I just installed is all bolt in and fits under the tonneau. The racks can be taken out via quick release and put in the gear tunnel to free up space in the bed. It also comes with a U-track, so other things can be installed on it as well. I tested it with my regular mountain bike and my emtb (50 pounds) and the rack is rock solid. To my surprise and great pleasure, you don't have to get in the bed to put bikes in and out. The designer thought of everything -- I'm very impressed.
Sponsored