Sponsored

MTB Tailgate Pad

Zeppelinpilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Optima
This image from the homepage appears to show some sort of tail gate pad. I have never owned a pick up (or tail gate pad...) before. This seems like an odd one. Would have thought it would come further down the exterior of the gate.
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 7.59.55 AM
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Looks home made to me. I bet itā€™s not an official accessory, but rather a practical accommodation made in the heat-of-the-moment to not damage the paint. Itā€™s possible the photographer didnā€™t notice it, or forgot about it.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
You are correct Zep, tailgate pads need to cover the majority of the rear exterior tailgate to protect from the front wheel, fork, and skewers. Recent gen models also have loops to clip the downtube or fork to the pad. See either Fox or DaKine for optimal examples below.

The one in the RT1 video looks like a poorly executed home made version intended to advertise the Rivian rear badging rather than protect the tailgate properly.

Note while tailgate pads are the easiest and fastest way to load and haul MTB's, they are not nearly as secure as a fully locked hitch or rack mount unless you rig a chain lock from the truck bed.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
The one in the RT1 video looks like a poorly executed home made version intended to advertise the Rivian rear badging rather than protect the tailgate properly.
IMO, Rivian should offer a branded tailgate pad. Partner with Dakine or another popular manufacturer of pads, and have R I V I A N embroidered on the back, mimicking the factory badging. I'd buy one.

Note while tailgate pads are the easiest and fastest way to load and haul MTB's, they are not nearly as secure as a fully locked hitch or rack mount unless you rig a chain lock from the truck bed.
The R1T includes Gear Guard, which provides the cable and locking capabilities, straight from the factory.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Since I use my bike as part of my daily commute to work, I got used to carry my bike inside my Nissan Xterra on a home made mount bar. I am in line for the R1S and intend to do the same thing here. I second the motion to partner with someone like Dakine to get something official for the R1S like a mount bar.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
The R1T includes Gear Guard, which provides the cable and locking capabilities, straight from the factory.
These look like he Gear Guard cables, which would be great as they are long enough to also secure the front wheels.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad Rivian Blue R1T Pickup Truck 3

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Itā€™ll be a Yakima one if they offer a tailgate pad, because thatā€™s who theyā€™re working with on cargo accessories.

Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
These look like he Gear Guard cables, which would be great as they are long enough to also secure the front wheels.

Rivian Blue R1T Pickup Truck 3.jpg
I have the same one for the Ridgeline. Hopefully it'll still fit. I also use a bed rug in my pickup and would love from them to make one for the R1T. I know its not for everyone but it makes moving supplies inside the bed so much easier. You can slide stuff easily.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I just ordered the Dakine small version which fits the Ridgeline. Weā€™ll see how it works out but the pad is an easy solution and leaves the hitch free for other uses.

pmccut

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S, Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer
I just ordered the Dakine small version which fits the Ridgeline. Weā€™ll see how it works out but the pad is an easy solution and leaves the hitch free for other uses.
Did you try this out yet? I just picked up my R1T tonight and am reallllly hoping I can make this work (maybe with back tire at an angle in the bed?)

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I've used tailgate pads for years and currently have a full size Full Race for the tundra. I ride 5x a week.

The problem with the R1T is the crease in the rear tailgate, which there are already reports of the forks dinging that crease line. I've test fit it in my tailgate and decided denting that crease was too much of a risk, so I went hitch mount.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Did you try this out yet? I just picked up my R1T tonight and am reallllly hoping I can make this work (maybe with back tire at an angle in the bed?)
It just came in yesterday and the truck was off getting tinted so I will test it out today. I didnā€™t realize there had been issues with the R1T and pads but I hope it works. Iā€™d really prefer not to go the hitch-mount route.
Sponsored