MTB Tailgate Pad

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
I like this option bc you don’t have to strap anything to the tailgate to collect debris and block the light bar. This is on my daughter’s bike:
Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1654008519740

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1654008545863

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1654008582586

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1654008624184

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1654008661405
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I like this option bc you don’t have to strap anything to the tailgate to collect debris and block the light bar. This is on my daughter’s bike:
1654008519740.jpeg

1654008545863.jpeg

1654008582586.jpeg

1654008624184.jpeg

1654008661405.jpeg
That looks like it has a high likelihood of denting the tailgate -- specifically at that crease/body-line. Be careful.

BooneRiv

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Tesla MS
That looks like it has a high likelihood of denting the tailgate -- specifically at that crease/body-line. Be careful.
Almost all of the pressure from the straps is horizontal and the down force from the straps is mostly on the back (bed-side) of the tailgate. It’s very gentle on the body. Not the slightest scuff after driving on lots of curves and bumps in the mountains.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY
Has anyone else considered the half-stack versions of the pads? A quick search shows that Fox and Raceface offer them. Buying a second one for carrying two more bikes is only $9 than buying a full size.

95% of the time I only need one or two bikes. In theory Installing and removing the smaller one will be a little faster but it looks like they only have one less straps than the full size (3 vs 4).

Fox

Racface
I thought about it, but concerned there will be a gap when the tonnoe is closed. Maybe that is a bit OCD.

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I'm supposed to get my R1T tomorrow so I ordered both of the pads I linked to above. I'll update next week.

Sponsored

Law

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I am testing out some options for transporting bikes. This one is the 1Up. I am concerned about the negative effect on range. Also when adjusted to fit a large size 29" the rack extends past the lift gate. So far it fits all bikes I have tested.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 1U

I also am testing the Yakima GateKeeper Medium. I think this will be more efficient and won't affect range as much.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8342

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad Tailgate Pad

I added some foam under the pad to protect the bike and tailgate.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8341

I folded the inside corner to prevent it from interfering with the tailgate latch.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8345

There is some interference with the strap clip when closing the tailgate with the gooseneck hinge filler plate. It's not that bad but good to know.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8360

Of course I am still testing out my customers tailgate pad.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8172

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad Custom Pad

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_8369

SJaYx2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma

I'm diggin the EVA version. I don't think the polylam would hold up as well. Specially in the corners.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I've tried lots of different options over many years, what I finally settled on is a North shore rack. Super adjustable, extremely strong, very well built with no plastic bits to break. It is a bit heavy but that's the only downside I've experienced. Keeps bed free for other stuff, very fast to load bikes. I can fit my kids fat tire bikes and my heavy ebike easily. Single and dual crown both work.

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 20220528_093241

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad 20220528_093228

Wefty

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 2008 Fit
I received the Fox and Raceface halfsie tailgate pads and they are the exact same pad with different logos.

None of these thoughts are new. The pads don't fit very well and unless someone designs a Rivian specific one I don't think any pad will be that great. The tailgate is too thick and the middle tailgate panel interferes as shown in the pics above. The middle panel also makes installation more time consuming. One nice thing is that the tonneau doesn't seem to mind it when closing.

The lighting in my garage was horrible and my pictures are worthless.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

As I posted previously I have tried out the RaceFace and Dakine Pad. The solution below i like much better. For those of you that are worried about range, this would be a good solution i think.

It is very easy to pop on and off, although I plan on leaving it in as the tonneau will go over it and i can still haul quite a bit with them in place.

The bike pictured is about as big as you'll find for an MTB - XL 29'er. In one picture you can see the included extension rails, but these keep you from closing the tailgate and don't add much to stability so I think I will delete them (very easy).

I may add an extra cradle if feasible but need to test it out a bit first.

https://pipelineracks.com/

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_0991

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_0990

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_0989

Rivian R1T R1S MTB Tailgate Pad IMG_0988

Sponsored

tomis916

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I've tried lots of different options over many years, what I finally settled on is a North shore rack. Super adjustable, extremely strong, very well built with no plastic bits to break. It is a bit heavy but that's the only downside I've experienced. Keeps bed free for other stuff, very fast to load bikes. I can fit my kids fat tire bikes and my heavy ebike easily. Single and dual crown both work.

20220528_093241.jpg

20220528_093228.jpg
Have you tried lowering the rack with the bikes on to see if you can still drop the tailgate?

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
As I posted previously I have tried out the RaceFace and Dakine Pad. The solution below i like much better. For those of you that are worried about range, this would be a good solution i think.

It is very easy to pop on and off, although I plan on leaving it in as the tonneau will go over it and i can still haul quite a bit with them in place.

The bike pictured is about as big as you'll find for an MTB - XL 29'er. In one picture you can see the included extension rails, but these keep you from closing the tailgate and don't add much to stability so I think I will delete them (very easy).

IMG_0991.jpeg

IMG_0990.jpeg

IMG_0989.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg
Thanks for posting this -- I love this solution. Question is, which model did you order? Looks like they have different models based on truck bed size. Many thanks.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

They have a sub-compact, compact, and full size rack. The rivian is a compact - the middle size.

dduffey

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla M3, Tesla MY

Those look really nice! I need a spot for four bikes though, will contact them to see if they can make one.
Sponsored