Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Counterpoint: Slowest EV truck they've ever tested.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Counterpoint: Slowest EV truck they've ever tested.
I'm actually wondering if they reviewed the Ford Ranger EV or Chevy S-10 EV.

But their website doesn't have a "search everything even from over 20 years ago" search

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sponsored

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
Pretty big difference in acceleration and braking numbers from what Edmunds posted.
MT - 3.1 seconds on 21" 0-60 and 126' 60-0
Edmunds- 3.5 seconds on 21" 0-60 and 116' 60-0

Either way, still can't keep up with the boss's 911 Turbo.
Edmunds tests actual 0-60mph time. From what I remember MT tests with a rollout, so more like 5-60mph in reality.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Edmunds tests actual 0-60mph time. From what I remember MT tests with a rollout, so more like 5-60mph in reality.
Yup, saw that as well after the previous mention. With the 1' rollout, Edmunds was at 3.3 seconds, so not that inconsistent. 10' of braking difference is pretty big though. Curious to see more tested reviews from other publications to get a consensus on skidpad, braking and acceleration numbers.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Easy: It comes down to motors. Four of 'em, to be exact. The Rivian R1T has four permanent-magnet motors, each one mounted inboard at a wheel, which combine to produce 835 horsepower and 908 lb-ft of torque. The front motors are slightly less powerful than the rear, producing 415 hp and 413 lb-ft versus 420 hp and 495 lb-ft. The big 135-kW battery pack is capable of charging at speeds up to 190 kW (though we're told the system will eventually be able to handle 300-kW peak speeds), giving the R1T 314 miles of range and 74/66/70 mpg-e city/highway/combined EPA ratings.

@SeaGeo I guess they do have parallel charging and they just don't want to advertise it yet.
I'm not convinced I can trust MT to be correct. Lol. I hate that Rivian just won't come clean about this.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I'm not convinced I can trust MT to be correct. Lol. I hate that Rivian just won't come clean about this.

X2 seriously, I asked chat again and they confirmed 300kw+ but wasnt able to tell me how lol

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
For the love of God I hope they stop talking about these acceleration numbers. The last thing we need is more
insecure truck bros roaming America trying to outdo each other with their oversized death machines. What will be worse is that the insecure truck bros can’t afford the new fangled death machines so they’ll be even more enraged when you silently gun it next to them.

Imagine 2025: Cybertruck drivers battling to the death on the roadways with Hummer EV, Rivian, and Lightning EV bros constantly seeing who can outrun each other at every stoplight.

Between rollovers, winter spin outs, and all of the Camry drivers that get killed from being rear ended by a 7k pound vehicle at 130 mph I can see our insurance rates skyrocketing already.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
For the love of God I hope they stop talking about these acceleration numbers. The last thing we need is more
insecure truck bros roaming America trying to outdo each other with their oversized death machines. What will be worse is that the insecure truck bros can’t afford the new fangled death machines so they’ll be even more enraged when you silently gun it next to them.

Imagine 2025: Cybertruck drivers battling to the death on the roadways with Hummer EV, Rivian, and Lightning EV bros constantly seeing who can outrun each other at every stoplight.

Between rollovers, winter spin outs, and all of the Camry drivers that get killed from being rear ended by a 7k pound vehicle at 130 mph I can see our insurance rates skyrocketing already.
I do have some safety concerns with it as well. Particularly with the model S Plaid.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/S, Bronco Raptor, Wrangler4xe, Ioniq5, Winbago
Occupation
insurance agent
I do have some safety concerns with it as well. Particularly with the model S Plaid.
I think the market will speak to that. Not everyone wants 3 sec 0-60 times as an always on feature. I can make my kids throw up in the back with 3.5-4 second 0-60 type accelerations so at some point parental control type features will become more standardized so you can legislate whether teenagers with mom/dad’s fast/dangerous car can drive on public roads.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've had my 4 second 0-60 EV for less than three weeks and last night got a ticket for impeding traffic. I don't think your concern is justified.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

just to nitpick a little, it will be very difficult to roll the Rivian, almost all the weight is in the skateboard at wheel level.
Sponsored