First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I think maybe we do for 'light' offroad - you can see that in the edmonds review.?.

Also, for sand, I was told that the trip on the beach to east hampton ny (soft sand) was on the 21s (by customer service).
Right, that helped me feel much more reassured in Street Truck tires vs A/T's.

Pretty sure it's gonna be much ado about nothing. Everyone was spot on in the past year about pricing on 21" vs 20"s. About $100-$150/tire difference. Not too shabby, but it still sizeable investment should an extra set truly be needed for alternate/seasonal use. ??
Sponsored

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Ah, so the 21's cost about $100 more per tire because they are less common?

I was initially going with LE 20s R1s after my test drive and seeing that you could hit 300 with conserve mode and offroad upgrade from Motortrend.

But then I saw the edmonds review and the 21's looked fine and got 317 miles!

In the winter, I will be driving 240 miles one way many weekends; I am lucky enough that NY (where I live) already has live some 350kw charging stations about 150 miles in, so I'd still be in the 20-80 percent charging range if I stopped on the way up and down (to hit the 20 min stop).

I was lucky enough to to a first mile test drive and the ATs look so good on the truck. . . . .

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
A worthy data point! Though the pessimist in me is saying they're just not interpreting their own website correctly (and parroting what's on the RAN page rather than the vehicle pages). FWIW, when I asked CS about charging voltages and rates, they barely understood what I was talking about (I had to re-ask the question a few times...), but assured me they're "making sure that charging has been engineered to work great in all situations" (paraphrasing some PR speak). If it was just a matter of charging rates and battery degradation, I don't see why they wouldn't have 800V charging out-the-gate for better compatibility with networks, but keep the 200kW restriction until they feel confident the battery can handle it.
I've tried to work this exact issue out with CS and came away with the website is talking about RAN and "future vehicles" will be capable of 300kw. Chat CS wasn't sure so they did take a day to circle back with me. I've emailed them again. Because of MT's article.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Right, that helped me feel much more reassured in Street Truck tires vs A/T's.

Pretty sure it's gonna be much ado about nothing. Everyone was spot on in the past year about pricing on 21" vs 20"s. About $100-$150/tire difference. Not too shabby, but it still sizeable investment should an extra set truly be needed for alternate/seasonal use. ??
Are "alternate/seasonal tires available in 21"? I was of the understanding that currently there is nothing the correct size.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Pretty big difference in acceleration and braking numbers from what Edmunds posted.
MT - 3.1 seconds on 21" 0-60 and 126' 60-0
Edmunds- 3.5 seconds on 21" 0-60 and 116' 60-0

Either way, still can't keep up with the boss's 911 Turbo.
Yea I wonder if Edmonds accidentally read 0 to 70 ?

Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Good day, not sure where to post this so I went with the most current news section. Long time lurker, Oct 2019 Reservation holder and DSP investor. I’ve been leery to join the forum due to the rabbit hole you can go down, (AudiWorld) enough said. I wanted to pass along a conversation I had with CS a few days ago due to the statement that she made regarding the tonneau covers. I noted that a number of LE reservation holders would prefer the manual cover to the motorized option, (if you live anywhere with pine needles you know why) and would be happy to have that as an option. She stated that they were not aware if this and encouraged me to have people let them know this is something that people wanted. She noted that’s what got the Off-Road Upgrade moved to an add on. I really like the config of the LE however I’m considering changing my order to the Explore Package due to the motorized tonneau.

PS, she also said she was not aware of any issues they were having with said motorized tonneau, I found that strange with all the reviews and such mentioning it as an issue.

cheers
Im with you 100% on that one. I will let CS know my thoughts too.

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager
Are "alternate/seasonal tires available in 21"? I was of the understanding that currently there is nothing the correct size.
There may not be, but we're getting the 21's so we'd be looking for 20's.

I thought I found 275/50/21's on TireRack or Costco? I think I spied the size from the Edmunds video. Maybe I had the size wrong?!?? ??

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought I found 275/50/21's on TireRack or Costco? I think I spied the size from the Edmunds video. Maybe I had the size wrong?!?? ??
275/55r21

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

He seems pretty confident they didn't miscommunicate.
For what it's worth, Scott Evans said that Rivian told them 300kW multiple times.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Imagine 2025: Cybertruck drivers battling to the death on the roadways with Hummer EV, Rivian, and Lightning EV bros constantly seeing who can outrun each other at every stoplight.
Potential alternate 2025 prediction: Electric grid and power supply has not kept up with the EV craze. There is no off peak pricing and electricity prices have tripled. CT, Hummer, Lightning and R1T are behind the traffic light and in race mode. The handshake between their machines are complete and each of them can see the other’s KWh/mile consumption. The bet is set for 50 KWh of charge for the hyper-mile race to the next traffic light. Light goes green and all trucks minimize their acceleration, the honking of the the cars in the two mile backup behind them is defending. Each of them thinking I should have bought that Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV for $4000.

Sponsored

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Manager

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Good day, not sure where to post this so I went with the most current news section. Long time lurker, Oct 2019 Reservation holder and DSP investor. I’ve been leery to join the forum due to the rabbit hole you can go down, (AudiWorld) enough said. I wanted to pass along a conversation I had with CS a few days ago due to the statement that she made regarding the tonneau covers. I noted that a number of LE reservation holders would prefer the manual cover to the motorized option, (if you live anywhere with pine needles you know why) and would be happy to have that as an option. She stated that they were not aware if this and encouraged me to have people let them know this is something that people wanted. She noted that’s what got the Off-Road Upgrade moved to an add on. I really like the config of the LE however I’m considering changing my order to the Explore Package due to the motorized tonneau.

PS, she also said she was not aware of any issues they were having with said motorized tonneau, I found that strange with all the reviews and such mentioning it as an issue.

cheers
This is a worthy recommendation not just to avoid a malfunctioning auto feature, but IME a manual version is highly functional.

I have a Retrax metal rolling tonneau cover that works flawlessly on a larger truck bed than the RT1. It can be locked in any position, sheds water and snow, and operated from street level without getting in the bed itself. It is pretty close to bulletproof.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Wonder what the "Max Pack" will hit 0-60?

Any guesses with the added weight of the batteries?

3.5-3.6 180kwh vs 3.1-3.2 135kwh

Again, I know I can't have it all, but I at least want the truck to be as fast as my old Model S was back when that was "the longest distance EV ever made" (3.9-4.1).

Also... Quicker then the TRX ?

Again really curious to see what kind of times the Hummer SUT EV puts down. These two EV's head to head will be a big showdown.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Pretty sure this is the correct OEM 21 https://tinyurl.com/vuwm2tkv
So the 20's are 275/65 then?
Correct...20" rims are a 275/65/20, then a 275/55/21 or the 275/50/22. I've been torn between the 20 & the 22". The 20" has some really good reviews as just a very good overall tire. It's really a hybrid that Perilli made, not a true off-road which I'm sure the off roads in this group know. Also, the 20" wheel is the only one that is Forged, which are typically much more expensive than cast wheels.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
What do you guys think of practical differences between forged and cast wheels on Rivian? If I lose air and have to drive to the side of the road for 100 feet with that much weight on the wheel, I assume I will ruin the tire but will the cast wheel more likely to be damaged than forged ?
Sponsored