First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The only thing I miss is the acceleration of the quad when passing.
That is something that I was wondering about, but will make the slowing down again less frightful.
66 mph - 2.1 MPK, 100% r = 269 miles (307 conserve)
2.2/2.1= 4.76% not exactly falling off a cliff
Surprised about the next 6mph efficiency loss however.
I just want/need the max range so went with 21’s this time.
20" with 60 profile tires will yield similar results I believe. I will go that route eventually.
Sponsored

Indy avocado

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '17 Macan S, '11 Mustang GT
Ha
OP. You are my stoic hero; attitude, attitude & attitude. Congratulations.
I had heard that 21s are quieter. So I am actually moving to 21s from 20s end of this month. If I love it, I might actually sell my all dark 20s. Let see.
Have you considered just moving to all-season tires?

I just (today) moved from 21s to 20s with Michelin Defender LTXs. On Monday I start a week+ on the road covering about 2300mi.

The lack of 21" options annoyed me too much.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
OP. You are my stoic hero; attitude, attitude & attitude. Congratulations.
I had heard that 21s are quieter. So I am actually moving to 21s from 20s end of this month. If I love it, I might actually sell my all dark 20s. Let see.
I was going to get 21s at first and then saw the lack of tyre choices and went with the 20s. My intention is to swap out the ATs for ASs, as there are a lot of choices in that space. Lots of good information on this site. Cheers.

Sponsored

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Ha

Have you considered just moving to all-season tires?

I just (today) moved from 21s to 20s with Michelin Defender LTXs. On Monday I start a week+ on the road covering about 2300mi.

The lack of 21" options annoyed me too much.
I have 18K miles on my Kia EV6 GT-L with the Michelin Defenders. Best tires I have ever purchased. Wear, range, performance, noise, etc. #1 rated on Tire Rack. These are the next shoes for the R1S.

EdwardM2005

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
IT Guy
Congratulations on your new R1S. I totally understand your adventure with the parking lot ding and windshield star. Five windshields in 14 months on my Jeep and that was more than an omen. I fear the drivers here and have had multiple scratch laced into our Black on Black R1S w/22" Toyo Open County AT's from people dragging gear between the parked vehicles and few that first real dent. Previously a neighbor left his calling impression on the Liftgate of my 2022 Grand Cherokee never to be heard from again. That was over $1200 without paint. Needless to say, the Jeep is long gone and we are loving our R1S...

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Another one? What the heck is going on with that rear quarter area in our Rivians?

Is there some sort of Warp Drive/Singularity Drive unit hiding back there that just sucks everything in the known universe in to it? That area is the most dented area in Rivian vehicles by a huge margin over all other areas combine.

I now try to park in spots where there are no vehicles parking spaces across from me just to prevent anyone from backing in to the rear quarter of my R1T.

OP sorry you had that happen, but for $900 (which is nothing for body work nowadays) and no Car-Fax report you came out smelling like a rose!

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Get check from insurance company for $40k, go to dent guy. Profit.
Yeah but then doesn't it show in Carfax as a car that has been in an accident, lowering the value of the truck?

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
Yeah but then doesn't it show in Carfax as a car that has been in an accident, lowering the value of the truck?
Yes, but you should collect the diminished value of the vehicle as part of settling with the insurance company, so it doesn't matter.

Sponsored

drichan

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Software
Clubs

Perhaps I waved out your R1S. I was in SG for the parade of homes recently. Great that you were able to get the fix. It’s sad how Utah is so limited in fast charging options. Considering how many EA and RAN options exist in AZ,CO and NV. Utah is truly a fast charger desert. I’m not sure why.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Loved my 20” darks when the tires were new but hated them @ 10K+. I got a r1T loaner this week with 20” with a new set pirelli’s AT and they were almost as quiet as the 21” AS so it wasn’t my imagination. I just want/need the max range so went with 21’s this time.
yup, when the tread depth hits about 8/32, the OEM Pirelli's 20s get noticeably louder. had the same aha moment when i got an R1T loaner with new 20s. great tire otherwise. once mine are ready to replace i may go with the one that seems like most 20s are going to the Michelin Defender LTX Platinum.

i think i would have stuck with the 20s and just gotten different tires. youre not going to have many options with the 21s.

jpv

First Name
Jose Pepe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, rav4. Bmw R65,bmwR90, bmwR100R,bmwR1250GS
Occupation
Retired
Well up here in Petaluma, California new year year Here is the second Rivian for our house this December in less than 12 months of ordering I picked up my canyon, red R1S.
Took it into OCD detailing in Fremont, California and I had the windows tinted the moonroof, tinted the front and rear lights smoked and also the vehicle was wrapped with ceramic wrap and PPF. It was the flat finish with the vinyl decals replaced in black. I’m waiting for the rock sliders to come to install next, still going to shock of having the vehicle loving the range, loving the towing capacity for trailers in our toys but I’m anxiously waiting to see the R2 release and watch my stocks come back up on Rivian . Also planning to use the dual motor max pack on the off-road driving school training by the drive school X. Highway patrol officers in Hollister California later this year.

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_6950

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_6952

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_6953

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_6982

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_7014

OP
OP
Jabbahop

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
After the rough start, this week has had a positive finish.

We brought ”Luna Rover” into the detailing shop for PPF partial front coverage, ceramic coating (first time trying it), and ceramic tint on all the windows except for the cracked front window. I had hoped that the rear factory tint would dramatically eliminate heat and UV but read that it is really only privacy tint and we want/need heat reduction from the Utah sun and keeping our pup comfy in the back.

Went with 70% up front (not very dark) since we don’t love it having to roll down windows to wave hi to friends/neighbors ;-)

Anyway happy with the result and the promised easier washing since will do drive back and forth between VT and UT as well as explore dusty/muddy roads.

Rivian R1T R1S “Interesting” first week moving from 2022 R1T w/20” wheels to R1S Dual Max w/21" wheels IMG_2922
Sponsored