Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
  • Delivery Experience - this is where it all starts. The showrooms have really nice aesthetics, staff was very courteous. Even better was how knowledge able about the cars/products the staff was. I've been to other showrooms/service where the employees just missed details about their products that I felt they should know.
This one would seem to depend on your location.

When I picked up my Rivian, I showed up at the service center only to be told I didn't read the instructions closely enough and was at the wrong spot.

They sent me a mile down the road, to pick up the vehicle in a random city-owned parking lot. It felt more like a drug deal than buying a $100k vehicle.

My Tesla pickup went down in a nicely decorated showroom.

• Build Quality - Not big on complaining about panel gaps at all but things like trim creaks, interior design, window alignment (squeaky). All of these things were so much better than any tesla I've owned. Even my latest 22' Model X is up there in terms of quality, but the design in the Rivian takes the cake for me.
This one also seems at least 50% luck.

My 5 year old Tesla has this far needed zero warranty repairs. My 7-month-old Rivian has been in for warranty repairs six times.
Sponsored

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Glad you are enjoying the new R1S. We are going the opposite way as soon as guide gets back to me. Wife has the S and she feels the ride is harsher than in my T, daughter has driven both and agrees as do I. I run same tires, same air pressure, and same suspension settings and it is noticeable. Granted Colorado sucks in ridiculous taxes and registration fees, but only seems to invest in new toll roads, so main roads are almost as smooth as fire roads after a heavy rain.

We are trading her S on a new T and will keep it until she has a chance to see and drive an R2. Considered picking up an ICE vehicle, but we are quite please with how we have been treated by Rivian and want to show our continued support, unless they low ball the S on trade and then things may change.
This is very interesting to me and seems to be the 'standard' feedback. In our house it is the opposite. I've driven both our R1T and R1S back to back, numerous times and feel the R1S feels more comfortable on the road, albeit not quite as 'planted' as the R1T, but comfort, it is definitely slightly superior to our R1T. We love both.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Disclaimer: This is a brain dump and a bit of a long post. Again, no order, just things I have thought of since this very short ownership.

I say converted not because of ICE to EV but from Tesla to Rivian. I've owned every Tesla model and even 2 of the certain models, so I've got some experience in growth of these types of companies and products. If you are on the fence about Tesla to Rivian, let me assure you the product, while may have some differences, I truly prefer my R1S over any of the products I've owned. (More details as to why later).

I won't bore everyone with the details of all the vehicles I searched, but I was ultimately debating and waiting on the Cybertruck, timing took too long (foundation order), and I am really glad I made this choice! Below are just some differences that I noticed and want to share to possibly help others seal their decision in a Rivian as well.

None of this is in order

• Delivery Experience - this is where it all starts. The showrooms have really nice aesthetics, staff was very courteous. Even better was how knowledge able about the cars/products the staff was. I've been to other showrooms/service where the employees just missed details about their products that I felt they should know.
  • Space/Utility - For those who own or experienced one of these amazing vehicles, we already know, but I do not think this can be iterated enough. These cars have more pockets, storage areas, and place for things (water bottles, kids toys, camp gear, etc.). The first aid kit and compressor are so nice to have from a vehicle targeting for the more adventurous audience but can also work well for many aspects.
  • Build Quality - Not big on complaining about panel gaps at all but things like trim creaks, interior design, window alignment (squeaky). All of these things were so much better than any tesla I've owned. Even my latest 22' Model X is up there in terms of quality, but the design in the Rivian takes the cake for me.
  • Drive - ride quality is excellent. Maybe because it's new and tolerances are tighter, but it feels very smooth from the last ride. I do admit that at first some of the drive modes seem a bit cumbersome in comparison, but the flexibility of how you like to drive is really nice to have as well. The different drive modes are also able to indicate predicate range changes, which is a nice touch. Also, the new sounds of a compressor when changing the height are already muted from my memory after a few hours of ownership. Coming from a yoke back into a full steering wheel is not so bad, although I do prefer a yoke. A yoke wouldn't quite match the design language here, but this steering wheel is nice. The wheel is not so thick, has really nice heating elements, and with the proper adjustments you may be able to see 90% or better of the center screen.
  • Infotainment - this was a big one for me that I was nervous to give up. Sure there are some improvements that could be had in the UI but man it feels a bit snappier on the UI, the data for the maps when searching, the route planning even with all the charging data it has available. Small things like having the range in miles and percentage and not having to pick, or engaging Alexa without the touch of a button is a really nice touch. Being able to always see the map in the dash, efficiency, and tire pressure upfront. It will be really nice to see the progress they continue to make.

While not an exhaustive list, these were some significant points for me and my purchase, and maybe it may help to send someone else into a showroom or make a purchase from Rivian as well.

TLDR - Great car all around, liked better than Tesla, will be putting deposit down for at least 1 R2. Picked up a 24' DPMM R1S
1709437733151.png
Welcome to the forums and the Rivian Community of Owners. Everyone has a unique and valid expression when going from a Tesla to the Rivian family, some aren't pleasant, but given you're coming from a Plaid and an X, I was particulary interested in your feedback.

Thanks for taking your time to express your thoughts. Vehicles are like 'Pizza', your favorite may not (most certainly) won't be mine, but I respect an honest evaluation either way. Enjoy the journey!!

Bee

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Lightning, '23 Ioniq 5
I've taken recently to calling Rivian the "Tesla 2.0" it's Tesla, but with an interior you actually like and want to be in without either the "camry" image or the Elon drama. They unabashedly copied the Tesla formula understanding it's superior approach over traditional OEMs and are making notable improvements over Tesla's current gen products even while they're years behind.

Rivian is the Tesla we always wanted.
Sponsored