Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
got the tick/creak sound coming from the front of my R1T this week. have an appointment in June so will be adding this. on another thread, someone mentioned Rivian had to eventually replace the subframe to get rid of the sound. lube to half shafts and tightening bolts didnt fix it.
Pretty sure my subframe needs some attention then...as the new bolts, lubing half-shafts and replacing one did not work for me either.
Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Mine just started! It "clicks" one time when I press the accelerator, then will "click" again when I let off and regen kicks in. This occurs in all modes/ride heights that I have tested.

I'm taking it in for a very "springy" suspension next week. The clicking started around the same time, i think.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Mine just started! It "clicks" one time when I press the accelerator, then will "click" again when I let off and regen kicks in. This occurs in all modes/ride heights that I have tested.

I'm taking it in for a very "springy" suspension next week. The clicking started around the same time, i think.
Mine just started this week as well (13 months and creeping up on 20,000 miles). Never noticed it before even when looking for it, now it's driving me a bit crazy.

Interestingly mine is very clearly only the rear motors - if I put it in conserve mode, there's zero tocking.

Last edited:

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Mine just started this week as well. Never noticed it before even when looking for it, now it's driving me a bit crazy.

Interestingly mine is very clearly only the rear motors - if I put it in conserve mode, there's zero tocking.
Mine is rear only as well. I suspect it's caused by the disconnect.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That blows a hole in my theory...
If I turn on conserve, it’s the same noises…Maybe Rivian installed a rear unit as my front drive unit too, QC being what it is…🤷‍♂️

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I picked my truck up from service and LOTS of little repairs. I wish I had the full list. Regardless, the rocking is gone and my truck seems to be good as new.

Grajjie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340i, Ioniq Electric, Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Clubs

My R1T has been at the service center for the past 2.5 weeks. Lots of minor fixes to be done as well as a tire rotation but one of them was the low speed tocking sound. Did a drive with a tech and he was able to hear it. He wanted me to go into conserve to see if the tocking goes away and it did. So that leads to the rear motors making the noise.

I'll provide an update on what was done when I get the truck back which is hopefully sometime this week. Not sure if it's related but they added the FASM to add washers to the halfshafts on their own prior to me dropping off the truck so that will be done as well.

I have a loaner R1T (12k VIN) which is slightly newer than mine and it doesn't make the tocking sound.

tk21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Military
Clubs

I'm not sure if I consider this a problem, but I'm looking for feedback about how many people are experiencing a similar behavior before I put in a service request.

At slow speeds, especially when set to high regen, my truck is making a 'tocking' sound when starting out or coming to a stop. I'm thinking there is a bit of slop in one or more of the motors, the half shaft, and/or the axel. I can make it sing the song of its people by basically rocking the truck back and forth using the accelerator.

I recall @OutofSpecKyle mentioning it in one of his videos and being fairly dismissive of it, but I'm uncertain if that is because the truck was a short-term loaner. It really doesn't bother me, honestly.

So, what say you - are you experiencing something similar? Would you start a repair order on it? Please vote in the poll and share your thoughts.
To me I only hear it when the air suspension is adjusting up from kneel for the first part of my drive (1-2 mins max) then I don’t hear it anymore. Sounds like mechanic shop car lifts raising up and the metal stops clicking in as the hoist passes the next stop…

Sponsored

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

my service appointment finally came up yesterday. i had several other smaller issues that i had added to my appointment other than the low speed creak/tick sound. the service rep who came out to greet me had her tablet with all my items. she went through them one by one asking questions for more details and going to the area of the vehicle to discuss. except for the creak/tick item. she read it out loud and then just moved onto the next one. i was expecting a test drive to try to replicate.

i found that kinda interesting and funny and makes me think they know its been an issue and have some things they will do. in any case, just hoping it gets resolved and doesnt come back as "within normal tolerances"

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
my service appointment finally came up yesterday. i had several other smaller issues that i had added to my appointment other than the low speed creak/tick sound. the service rep who came out to greet me had her ipad with all my items. she went through them one by one asking questions for more details and going to the area of the vehicle to discuss. except for the creak/tick item. she read it out loud and then just moved onto the next one. i found that kinda interesting and funny and makes me think they know its been an issue and have some things they will do. in any case, just hoping it gets resolved and doesnt come back as "within normal tolerances"
So, you have the creaking but not the tick/tock clink/clunk? My tick/tock is now louder than the first time i took it in earlier in the year. Almost think the washer treatment made it worse...other than when I first left the SC...it was great. Almost time to call it quits, as they just don't have a fix for it I guess.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
1 year later. Still happening.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

So, you have the creaking but not the tick/tock clink/clunk? My tick/tock is now louder than the first time i took it in earlier in the year. Almost think the washer treatment made it worse...other than when I first left the SC...it was great. Almost time to call it quits, as they just don't have a fix for it I guess.
i describe it as creaking. i suppose you could call it a clink/clunk. not sure if tick/tock is the same or not... 🤷‍♂️

that must be super frustrating to try to address it multiple times, even after the customer satisfaction campaign. yikes. do you have another service appointment scheduled?

if i get the truck back with no fix or "within normal tolerances" i'll just have to give it more time and see. im pretty picky about noises so if it drives me crazy i'll likely open another ticket.
Sponsored