Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Hope it’s something they can fix for you. That pop and tick sound is new to me, so hope they will take a closer look at my next appointment…2 months from now unfortunately.
Yea ... seems really odd ... I fear that an appointment for me will be 2 months or more as well. This is why I'm trying to batch everything up into one visit. I've only driven the vehicle a couple hundred miles. This issue, steering wheel off center, and some minor panel / hatch alignment problems are all I have at this time. Will probably give it another week before I submit to the SC seeing as new issues can't be added (which seems asinine IMHO)
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yea ... seems really odd ... I fear that an appointment for me will be 2 months or more as well. This is why I'm trying to batch everything up into one visit. I've only driven the vehicle a couple hundred miles. This issue, steering wheel off center, and some minor panel / hatch alignment problems are all I have at this time. Will probably give it another week before I submit to the SC seeing as new issues can't be added (which seems asinine IMHO)
You should be able to add more and they will bundle them together when they make the appointment, no?

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
You should be able to add more and they will bundle them together when they make the appointment, no?
I have seen posts on here that state that you can't add issues to an existing appointment. At pickup, I asked the delivery advisor and he confirmed that once an appointment is made, new issues need a separate appointment. Seems really odd and inefficient.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have seen posts on here that state that you can't add issues to an existing appointment. At pickup, I asked the delivery advisor and he confirmed that once an appointment is made, new issues need a separate appointment. Seems really odd and inefficient.
Crazy. I’ve added more after the appointment was made and they rolled them in…But maybe now that all the SCs are overloaded it’s a new thing.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Crazy. I’ve added more after the appointment was made and they rolled them in…But maybe now that all the SCs are overloaded it’s a new thing.
Yea ... who knows.

Sponsored

seancalvillo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure Package El Cap w/ PPF 20" ATs
Occupation
Software Consultant
My vehicle is relatively new (2 weeks) and I just noticed today the when the vehicle is going from kneel mode to standard height in All Purpose, that I will get the rocking sound as the suspension is adjusting and the vehicle is going low speed. Is this what others are seeing and is it something that the SC can do? I'm compiling my list of issues (all pretty minor) so I can get them looked at all at once seeing as you can't add issues to a service appointment.
The clicking sound when the suspension is adjusting leaving kneel mode is not the same issue as the tock when accelerating/decelerating. That one doesn't bother me as much because it goes away once the truck is raised.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Today I was forced to do a full emergency stop at 50mph. Ever since then the ticking / tocking at slowing and accelerating is gone. Been driving about 50 miles. Hasn’t returned.

Not necessarily recommending doing that, but weird it stopped the noise.

Previous fixes have been greasing half shafts, changing some washers, changing front dampeners, none of which resolved the noise.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Today I was forced to do a full emergency stop at 50mph. Ever since then the ticking / tocking at slowing and accelerating gone. Been driving about 50 miles. Hasn’t returned.

Not necessarily recommending doing that, but weird it’s stopped the noise.

Previous fixes have been greasing half shafts, changing some washers, changing front dampeners, none of which resolved the noise.
Probably jammed the teeth on the washers underneath the edge of the splines and now it fits tight as all hell. LOL. Hmm....Sudden stop you say.

Its definitely a quality control issue at the hub manufacturer. Tech told me they put the washers on all new builds too, not just a band aid for older vins. Hoping the hubs on dual motor are built differently with tighter tolerances.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Probably jammed the teeth on the washers underneath the edge of the splines and now it fits tight as all hell. LOL. Hmm....Sudden stop you say.

Its definitely a quality control issue at the hub manufacturer. Tech told me they put the washers on all new builds too, not just a band aid for older vins. Hoping the hubs on dual motor are built differently with tighter tolerances.
This may very well be the case. I would imagine on dual motor builds they figured this out.

I’ll report back on how long the noise is gone for; crossing fingers for an accidental long term fix.

Last edited:

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Today I was forced to do a full emergency stop at 50mph. Ever since then the ticking / tocking at slowing and accelerating is gone. Been driving about 50 miles. Hasn’t returned.

Not necessarily recommending doing that, but weird it stopped the noise.

Isn't doing this occasionally actually recommended to clear out the brakes. Plus its a good way to train drivers to be comfortable with an emergency stop.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Isn't doing this occasionally actually recommended to clear out the brakes. Plus its a good way to train drivers to be comfortable with an emergency stop.
No idea, but I’ve never voluntarily done this with any vehicle. Noise has definitely significantly reduced, low level ticking in certain situations has come back like going up a curb / driveway at slow speeds. But still silent on normal accelerating and slowing.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I have to be honest, I thought y'all were crazy picky ninnies for complaining about the Tock, possibly hearing things or just looking for something to complain about. It's just the normal sound of switching from positive to negative energy.

Well, turns out my truck had The Tock. I wrote it off to a bunch of things and didn't matter. On top of adding washers, they replaced a Front Driver Unit and cracked rear subframe. I'll have total work order to share next week.

My 23*** VIN loaner is totally silent, no ticks, no tocks. It's wild! I'm sorry I rolled my eyes at y'all and ignored this subject. Add me to Team Tock!

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yeah, mine still isn’t perfect. I need hubs replaced I’m sure. But most of the noise is gone. But still feel the drivetrain play. I also think I want one with the cast subframe.

suprteck

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Mechanic
I just had my truck serviced for the ticking noise while accelerating slowly and stopping. They did the ting washers and half shafts. But when I got the truck back I noticed the a different noise from the front now when accelerating and stopping also can make it happen by turning the steering wheel back and forth while stopped. Any one else had this issue? My truck was in service for 3 weeks and still has the noise.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I have to be honest, I thought y'all were crazy picky ninnies for complaining about the Tock, possibly hearing things or just looking for something to complain about. It's just the normal sound of switching from positive to negative energy.

Well, turns out my truck had The Tock. I wrote it off to a bunch of things and didn't matter. On top of adding washers, they replaced a Front Driver Unit and cracked rear subframe. I'll have total work order to share next week.

My 23*** VIN loaner is totally silent, no ticks, no tocks. It's wild! I'm sorry I rolled my eyes at y'all and ignored this subject. Add me to Team Tock!
I'm probably one of the most vocal people about being annoyed with the Tock, but there are times where I waffle a bit.

There are times where it honestly doesn't seem to be bad, and other times where it drives me crazy. It's especially bad in stop and go traffic even when using adaptive cruise control.

The last service visit they claimed it was "within spec" and they claimed they all had the tock to some degree. I asked them to show me on a new one or loaner, but they were unable to reproduce it on the loaner they tried it on.

I'm not sure what I should do at this point.

Ignore it as it otherwise is a good vehicle for my use case

Try to escalate it in hopes they fix it

The fact that new ones don't seem to have a tock pushes me to try to escalate it due to concerns that the tock will decrease its resale value. Why have a tock'ing one when you can have a non-tock'ing one?
Sponsored