Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Interesting that the noise disappears on your VIN when the rear motor is disengaged (Conserve mode).
Sponsored

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Okay, today I feel like it also started coming from the rear end. So all shafts are bad?

Rulaifas14

First Name
RaĂşl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self
Interesting that the noise disappears on your VIN when the rear motor is disengaged (Conserve mode).
Hello any solution with this clicking noise, the manager of my service center told me is in all the R1T. what do you think.
best

ztron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 E-tron, 2022 R1T
Okay, today I feel like it also started coming from the rear end. So all shafts are bad?
Try conserve mode to see if you still hear it.

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
So haven't poured through all 15 pages, but is the concern with this actually based on it indicating an issue? Or do people just not like the sound? With everything Rivian, I don't subscribe to the "other vehicles don't do this so it must be bad" mentality, because many things about it are novel (specifically suspension and drivetrain) and not designed like other vehicles.

Not saying it's not an issue in this case, but just wondering if it's actually been determined to indicate an issue, or it's just a sound that makes people paranoid/annoyed (I also don't like sounds/noises that could be eliminated).

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
So haven't poured through all 15 pages, but is the concern with this actually based on it indicating an issue? Or do people just not like the sound? With everything Rivian, I don't subscribe to the "other vehicles don't do this so it must be bad" mentality, because many things about it are novel (specifically suspension and drivetrain) and not designed like other vehicles.

Not saying it's not an issue in this case, but just wondering if it's actually been determined to indicate an issue, or it's just a sound that makes people paranoid/annoyed (I also don't like sounds/noises that could be eliminated).
I think that's a hard one to answer because of the variability.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with a little noise, but my R1T is so bad that a valet driver was inquiring if it was normal.

The noise from my vehicle is so bad that it's likely causing people to reconsider buying a Rivian.

My previous 2018 Model 3 Performance, and 2015 Model S didn't make this noise. In fact the suspension noise is less on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The fact that its a really annoying sound doesn't help matters.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I think that's a hard one to answer because of the variability.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with a little noise, but my R1T is so bad that a valet driver was inquiring if it was normal.

The noise from my vehicle is so bad that it's likely causing people to reconsider buying a Rivian.

My previous 2018 Model 3 Performance, and 2015 Model S didn't make this noise. In fact the suspension noise is less on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

The fact that its a really annoying sound doesn't help matters.
I’ve got to assume that this noise is the result of metal on metal and that wear is occurring where it shouldn’t?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Rhythmic noise, especially metal on metal, from a drive train component is NEVER good or normal. It indicates something is worn, out of tolerance, or out of balance.

I've been tolerant of Rivian's startup quality control issues so far and have been willing to take delivery of my R1S next year in spite of the to date issues ....... but THIS one is now giving me second thoughts.

Reactions: Jac

Switters73

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYLR, Rivian R1T(Soon)
Occupation
Health IF
Vin 8476 R1T - RC/FE 20"AT. Delivered in late July. Tocking began at ~1,000 miles and got worse and at 1,800 miles. Brought to the Boston/Chelsea SC (September). The sound was only happening in the front drive unit upon applying torque or releasing the accellerator pedal in all drive modes. Rivian replaced the entire front drive unit including both motors - did not replace the 1/2 shafts. (BTW the SC service was top notch!). I have now driven it cross country (Maine-Colorado) and elsewhere and have 9K miles on it. The tocking has not returned. I wonder if Rivian got a bad batch of drive units from Bosch?

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Vin 8476 R1T - RC/FE 20"AT. Delivered in late July. Tocking began at ~1,000 miles and got worse and at 1,800 miles. Brought to the Boston/Chelsea SC (September). The sound was only happening in the front drive unit upon applying torque or releasing the accellerator pedal in all drive modes. Rivian replaced the entire front drive unit including both motors - did not replace the 1/2 shafts. (BTW the SC service was top notch!). I have now driven it cross country (Maine-Colorado) and elsewhere and have 9K miles on it. The tocking has not returned. I wonder if Rivian got a bad batch of drive units from Bosch?
Thanks for posting and letting us know about this @Switters73

This is the first I've heard of the entire drive unit being replaced for this issue. It will be really interesting to see how this plays out over time.

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Was playing in the snow today and noticed that the front left shaft now does this sound at a “high” height. No sound in standard, low and lowest. I assume also will not happening in “highest” since car is limited by 20mph.

still clicking AF, and when I accelerate I can feel “the click” on steering wheel.
Service is scheduled for 21st this month, I hope truck will not brick itself đź« 

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Was playing in the snow today and noticed that the front left shaft now does this sound at a “high” height. No sound in standard, low and lowest. I assume also will not happening in “highest” since car is limited by 20mph.

still clicking AF, and when I accelerate I can feel “the click” on steering wheel.
Service is scheduled for 21st this month, I hope truck will not brick itself đź« 

Wow, that sound would scare me.

Hopefully they know what it is and can address it.

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Wow, that sound would scare me.

Hopefully they know what it is and can address it.
It’s cv axel’s issue.
I had same issue on my Model X, Model S and now Rivian.
what is interesting, never had it on model 3 (dual motor).
I start thinking it is somehow related to air suspension. When car is able to change height which is changing axels’ angle and they eventually are getting worn down.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
It’s cv axel’s issue.
I had same issue on my Model X, Model S and now Rivian.
what is interesting, never had it on model 3 (dual motor).
I start thinking it is somehow related to air suspension. When car is able to change height which is changing axels’ angle and they eventually are getting worn down.
I have to believe Rivian is aware of this issue. Given they haven't publicly recognized it with an official statement, I have to assume Rivian thinks the issue/problem is of no immediate concern and that they have time to work on a plan for addressing it. I just hope (not only as an owner, but as a shareholder) they are carefully calculating the risks when deciding when and how to officially address the issue. Our adventure continues...
Sponsored