Sponsored

Low speed 'Tocking' when stopping or starting

Low speed drivetrain 'tock' when starting out or stopping? Would you contact service?

• Total voters

Mandarin

First Name
Serg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Does anyone have any updates on it? My vehicle is in service now. Have not heard anything yet from them
Sponsored

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My vehicle is scheduled for service on 12/1 for this issue. Really hoping it resolves it, as it takes away from the driving experience significantly.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
My vehicle is scheduled for service on 12/1 for this issue. Really hoping it resolves it, as it takes away from the driving experience significantly.
it won't. No one has had it permanently resolved because it is apparently a fundamental design flaw. It may temporarily improve however.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
it won't. No one has had it permanently resolved because it is apparently a fundamental design flaw. It may temporarily improve however.
If you go back a page, the guy with the drive unit replacement did see his issue seemingly permanently cured.

Deleted member 7086

My half shaft noise started at around 2,000 miles. At 7,000 miles it was “repaired” by repacking the grease, replacing bolts and tightening them. Drove 150 miles home and it was back worse than ever. Trying to get service date to have it repaired - again.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
My half shaft noise started at around 2,000 miles. At 7,000 miles it was “repaired” by repacking the grease, replacing bolts and tightening them. Drove 150 miles home and it was back worse than ever. Trying to get service date to have it repaired - again.
Save your time and effort... there is no fix for it at this time.
All they will do is clean the splines and re-apply fresh grease which will quiet the noise for a short time. Or, they may even go as far as replacing your half-shafts... but they are identical to the half-shafts that are already in your truck and those will also become noisy after you put some mileage on them.

Being familiar with things that can happen to one's vehicle while at a SC, I'd rather not have my brand new vehicle there for something that's not being permanently repaired.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Save your time and effort... there is no fix for it at this time.
All they will do is clean the splines and re-apply fresh grease which will quiet the noise for a short time. Or, they may even go as far as replacing your half-shafts... but they are identical to the half-shafts that are already in your truck and those will also become noisy after you put some mileage on them.

Being familiar with things that can happen to one's vehicle while at a SC, I'd rather not have my brand new vehicle there for something that's not being permanently repaired.
Honestly, I think its a motor issue....I only feel/hear this at low speed backing out of my driveway or letting off accelerator fully at speed....otherwise, I can "modulate" it away and not feel it.

PurpleTrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
It was a muffled knock when starting off. Forward and reverse. Definitely not normal, but fixed now.
Did not make noise in Conserve Mode.
Wow guess what, this time I finally convinced/begged service center there is something wrong with rear. I CONVINCED them to take a look at the car on the lift. They found rear half shafts bad, AND rear subframe crack. I got the car back, and omg, so tight, just like delivery day.

I just wish service would listen to me 3 months ago... This seems a norm for me and my friends. We have to submit multiple tickets to get things to just looked at(not even fixed), cuz most of the time they just say "behaves normal". For example, I was one of the first to tell them wheel falling off incidents/concern back in July, and they said, quote "internet people on forum don't know what they are talking about". 🤷‍♂️

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Do you have a photo of the cracked rear subframe?

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
My R1T is in the SC and I brought up the tock sound, they were able to confirm. The head tech said this is not normal and they escalated the case to the factory. They are replacing the brake assembly.

I was half expecting them to say the tock is normal. Kind of surprised they didn't and are trying to fix it.

The tock seems to be from the brake pedal and not something further down the drive line.

Update:
They're replacing the brake pedal assembly as the tock just seems to be from the pedal after extensively diagnosing. Seems to confirm what I observed too the tock for me is in the pedal and not through the chassis from the driveline.

Last edited:

Sponsored

deathernater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap Granite FE Interior
Got my R1T back, the tock is still there but it is improved, more subdued and shorter it's more like a tick now, SC walked back on whole new brake assembly, they simply adjust the assembly and regreased all the CV axles that's what they noted the factory told them. Drove about 100 miles since service and no noticable deterioration, it's better than before but not fixed.

I feel the tock happens when the truck is using the mechanical brakes at creeping speeds when regen is not possible.

Update:
Since it's improved but not fixed and I assume it's not a critical mechanical issue, I will wait until the next time the truck needs to go in as opposed to immediately scheduling another service to get this looked at again.

Last edited:

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I took mine to Austin SC 3 weeks ago...great group....but did they give you the "they all make this sound, they are heavy vehicles with lots of torque" excuse? It felt better for about 100 miles after replacing 1 shaft and lubing the rest...and 3 weeks later is the same as prior to visit.

Last edited:

seancalvillo

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Adventure Package El Cap w/ PPF 20" ATs
Occupation
Software Consultant
I have noticed 2 things regarding this issue. It seems to be more of an issue/sound when it’s warm out. I put on my own Nokian tires on the existing at 20” wheels and i swear i don’t have the sound at all now.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I'm really hoping Rivian addresses this soon. I have a second pre order and I'm not inclined to take delivery if they still do this (or pull to the right which wasn't fixed on my R1T).

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

got the tick/creak sound coming from the front of my R1T this week. have an appointment in June so will be adding this. on another thread, someone mentioned Rivian had to eventually replace the subframe to get rid of the sound. lube to half shafts and tightening bolts didnt fix it.
Sponsored