First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I have an EV currently and can say that without the low speed sound, I would probably have had phone lookers walk into me or into my path, particularly in parking lots. If you are in a pedestrian altercation and you have disabled your sound system...well, the sound you will hear will be injury attorneys chomping at the bit. My 2019 Kia Niro's sound is anything but obnoxious and preferable to honking the horn at people for sure...
My parents are blind. I definitely appreciate it. However, having the ability to turn it off when off road or something would be nice.
Sponsored

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
My parents are blind. I definitely appreciate it. However, having the ability to turn it off when off road or something would be nice.
Virtually all "off-roading" is still on public roadways. It could be even worse for a pedestrian on a fire road for a silent vehicle to sneak up on them as they would really not be expecting it.

I don't think there's a practical way to give people control over when it's on or off without risking it being off when it matters.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Virtually all "off-roading" is still on public roadways. It could be even worse for a pedestrian on a fire road for a silent vehicle to sneak up on them as they would really not be expecting it.

I don't think there's a practical way to give people control over when it's on or off without risking it being off when it matters.
I thought about that as well, but every forest service forad I've been on is gravel and you I hear more tire noise than engine noise frequently with an ICE.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If you are in a pedestrian altercation and you have disabled your sound system...well, the sound you will hear will be injury attorneys chomping at the bit.
It's still going to be on you almost all of the time, with or without the pedestrian alert.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I thought about that as well, but every forest service forad I've been on is gravel and you I hear more tire noise than engine noise frequently with an ICE.
I completely agree about the crunching gravel sound. It’s typically much louder than tires across pavement at low speed. That’s why I’d like it if Rivian used a crunching gravel sound for the pedestrian alert, tied to vehicle speed. It would be noticeable and identifiable on pavement while not adding a very artificial noise while off pavement.

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I completely agree about the crunching gravel sound. It’s typically much louder than tires across pavement at low speed. That’s why I’d like it if Rivian used a crunching gravel sound for the pedestrian alert, tied to vehicle speed. It would be noticeable and identifiable on pavement while not adding a very artificial noise while off pavement.
Exactly! I've heard this (I don't remember which car) and it's easily dismissible by the driver and easily heard, and identifiable as a vehicle nearby, by the pedestrians.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
It's still going to be on you almost all of the time, with or without the pedestrian alert.
but way more so if they can claim that the accident wouldn't have happened but for your scofflaw action...

Spiffster

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 (Sold), Ford Fusion Energi
IMO best sounding EV right now is the etron. I hope Rivian has something similar. Its not a consistent hum either, but speeds up and slows down as the car does. Very cool.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
but way more so if they can claim that the accident wouldn't have happened but for your scofflaw action...
If they didn't notice you because there was no warning sound, how are they going to know there was no warning sound?

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

the relaxing sound of a brook flowing water, or a waterfall. ?

or the partial scream of a baby seal getting clubbed on the head. ?

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
the relaxing sound of a brook flowing water, or a waterfall. ?

or the partial scream of a baby seal getting clubbed on the head. ?
that went dark quickly.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Pretty sure they put you in the same jail with the people who cut the tags off of mattresses.
And - to be explicitly clear to those not in on the joke - manufacturers and dealers cannot cut the tag off a mattress under penalty of law, but once you buy it and it's yours...You're free to do whatever the hell you want with that tag.

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
If they didn't notice you because there was no warning sound, how are they going to know there was no warning sound?
Often after an accident, the vehicle involved is inspected...also, there might be witnesses.

Unless you're driving with your windows open, the sound is unlikely to disturb you...my backup sound is clear from inside; the low speed sound, not so much. That said, I know from my other EV forum that people are going to extreme lengths to defeat the sounds. Having been deposed as a witness in a couple accidents, well, I'd rather not open any doors to litigation that don't need to be opened. Said the same thing over in the other forum. Let those with ears, etc...

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
They're going to know they heard no sound. Their attorney will send you a set of interrogatories that will likely include a question about any modifications you've made to the car. In the scenario of a disabled person being hit by an EV, they're going to include a specific question about the warning sound, because their client will have told them there was no sound. You will have to answer under penalty of perjury whether you did or did not disable the sound. Even if you say you didn't disable it, their attorney is likely to ask you again during a deposition. They're also probably going to have the car inspected.

The requirement for a low-speed noise exists for a reason. When collisions happen that fit the reason to a T, a half-way competent attorney and insurance company are going to know exactly what path to go down when they want you to pay up.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
If an EV drives in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does it still make a sound? ?
Sponsored