Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜20 Model Y, ā€˜22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

that went dark quickly.
With 0-60 in 3 seconds, lots of unassuming seals will be clubbed on highways the world over
Sponsored

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Literal quote:
"No entity subject to the authority of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration may:..."

I believe manufacturers, dealers, service centers, insurers, etc are subject to the authority of the NHTSA.

I do not believe private individuals are subject to the authority of the NHTSA.

Would love an actual lawyer's take on this.
Iā€™m wondering all the vehicles previously produced would have to get those added on then, then it could be fair. I donā€™t know about you but Iā€™ve never hit a pedestrian and I donā€™t plan on starting so Iā€™m not worried about a law, or an in depth analysis of any crashes, that might be the least of my worries if I crash anywayā€¦ says the guy with the colored LED lights on his license plate that he received a warning forā€¦ ? Iā€™m absolutely definitely going to find a way to reduce or disable it, no way Iā€™m living with it if itā€™s annoying, and Iā€™m hearing impaired so if it bothers meā€¦ ? itā€™s gotta go!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Funny how no one has heard it or knows how loud it is but are already annoyed by it.

My neighbor has a newer Model Y, I barely notice it when he pulls in and out of his driveway And Iā€™m outside. Hardley ever notice it at the super chargers When Iā€™m there and newer models are pulling in and out.

Might just want to wait and see what it is before letting it bother you.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
Funny how no one has heard it or knows how loud it is but are already annoyed by it.

My neighbor has a newer Model Y, I barely notice it when he pulls in and out of his driveway And Iā€™m outside. Hardley ever notice it at the super chargers When Iā€™m there and newer models are pulling in and out.

Counterexample, there's an Audi eTron at my daughters preschool where the sound is supposed to sound like a burbling V8, whose pitch goes up and down with speed like a real V8 in first gear would.

Clever effect.

But loud and obnoxious, and if the Rivian were stuck with something like that and I could NOT disable offroad... I'd be furious.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see (and hopefully it will be covered in a review long before I get mine)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Counterexample, there's an Audi eTron at my daughters preschool where the sound is supposed to sound like a burbling V8, whose pitch goes up and down with speed like a real V8 in first gear would.

Clever effect.

But loud and obnoxious, and if the Rivian were stuck with something like that and I could NOT disable offroad... I'd be furious.

Yes, we'll have to wait and see (and hopefully it will be covered in a review long before I get mine)
Iā€™m not saying it will not be obnoxious, Iā€™m just saying wait until we have a chance to experience it before wasting all of that energy worrying about it.

So far no one has reported that it is annoying, that is either because it is not or it is not yet configured. There will be plenty of time to worry about it after they are delivered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

That's what I was trying to say. My ID.4 pedestrian sound actually seems quieter outside the vehicle than inside. Like... I could barely hear it. Which is actually a little concerning. Which makes me wonder if the R1T sound is enabled and people just haven't noticed it.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

That's what I was trying to say. My ID.4 pedestrian sound actually seems quieter outside the vehicle than inside. Like... I could barely hear it. Which is actually a little concerning. Which makes me wonder if the R1T sound is enabled and people just haven't noticed it.
That is weird I can hear my ID 4 from -100 feet away while I am inside my house. I can tell when my wife is about to pull in the drive way before she is in front of our house.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
That is weird I can hear my ID 4 from -100 feet away while I am inside my house. I can tell when my wife is about to pull in the drive way before she is in front of our house.
Huh. I'll try again. It sounds like a space ship (quietly) inside, but I intentionally rolled down my window while in a parking light the other night and didn't hear squat. Wonder if my VW dealer killed my speaker! ?

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Huh. I'll try again. It sounds like a space ship (quietly) inside, but I intentionally rolled down my window while in a parking light the other night and didn't hear squat. Wonder if my VW dealer killed my speaker! ?
If you arenā€™t moving there is no noise. The volume is different in reverse vs drive and dependent on speed. The noise isolation in the cabin is really good so it is super quiet with the windows up. Roll down your windows, back up, and then drive forward until you hit 20mph and it cuts out.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If you arenā€™t moving there is no noise. The volume is different in reverse vs drive and dependent on speed. The noise isolation in the cabin is really good so it is super quiet with the windows up. Roll down your windows, back up, and then drive forward until you hit 20mph and it cuts out.
Yep, I'm aware.. I had my driver window down and was intentionally going less than 20...

Sponsored

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yep, I'm aware.. I had my driver window down and was intentionally going less than 20...
Weird. Itā€™s crazy if you donā€™t hear anything. My neighbors joke they always know when we leave the house because they can hear us drive by in our spaceship.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I live in the south, so give mine the sound of mud tires slapping the asphalt because that inherently makes people get out of the way. On the flip side, I don't think any amount of subtle sounds will work for some pedestrians, and Darwinism will win out in the end, as nature intended. This vehicle promotes nature, right?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I live in the south, so give mine the sound of mud tires slapping the asphalt because that inherently makes people get out of the way. On the flip side, I don't think any amount of subtle sounds will work for some pedestrians, and Darwinism will win out in the end, as nature intended. This vehicle promotes nature, right?
They need to make it programmable so I can have my Rivian playing Tiger Rag the whole way to my tailgate spot.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
It seems like all the review units so far either have it disabled for off road, or don't have it at all yet.

I was lucky that my 2014 Volt was prior to this being mandated. It does have a pedestrian horn "chirp" that you can press, but nothing that is running all the time.

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
There will be plenty of time to worry about it after they are delivered.
You must have a lot more money lying around than I do, because I usually worry about the details of $80k purchases before I make them ;)
Sponsored