Sponsored

Let's talk Tesla Supercharger parking etiquette...

Gully

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTI, R1T
So on topic, what I got so far:

– check for space to the right of the right most charger
– check for space behind the chargers
– check for space to the left of the left most charger if you can come at it from 90 degrees
– park directly next to another Rivian or Ford Lightning (Mustang?)
– leaving an empty space between you and a Tesla to your left might at least appear normal ... and if not busy that middle space won't typically be used anyway.
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

So on topic, what I got so far:

– check for space to the right of the right most charger
– check for space behind the chargers
– check for space to the left of the left most charger if you can come at it from 90 degrees
– park directly next to another Rivian or Ford Lightning (Mustang?)
– leaving an empty space between you and a Tesla to your left might at least appear normal ... and if not busy that middle space won't typically be used anyway.
If that’s the list… I’m going to remember almost none of it when I go charging.

Why can’t this be like going to the urinal? People should just keep their distance and just wait patiently so it’s not that awkward. 😎

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I've seen plenty of pictures of it happening at v3 stations as well. People generally don't like parking right next to each other if they don't have to. Also, old habits sometimes die hard.
Exactly my point. But lots of Tesla owners don't even realize if they are or aren't sharing power, they just automatically leave space even when they don't have to. That's going to make it difficult for Rivian or Ford drivers to charge at busy Tesla stations.

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
All this potential for rage. I'm thinking walking away from the Rivian while charging at a Tesla facility might be a bad idea. Even with PAAK, most people carry keys. I don't want to be the recipient of that CS action. I refuse to park in the charging space at my orthopedist's office because it has BOTH a disabled sign and an "EV Only" sign. I specifically asked their security guy and was told "it's either...not both". I've seen some pretty rabid/entitled hostility in my years, and I'd rather deflect it verbally than come back to find I've been "punished" for some perceived transgression.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I dispute their answer on problem 1. I’m not choosing the urinal located 6 inches away from an open door when choosing the one just left of that still leaves 4 urinals between me and the other guy. Where can I file a complaint?
That’s fair. I’d allow it. It depends on how busy the place is, imo. If you’re in stall 6 by the door, you don’t want to be bothered by the cold draft every time it opens. Plus, you don’t want to give those outside the bathroom a free peep show. A 4 stall buffer, as you suggested, seems safe enough.

On the other hand, using stall 6 affords the next user to have the choice between stall 3 and 4, as opposed to forcing them to stall 3. And life is all about giving people choices, right? 🤔

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

That’s fair. I’d allow it. It depends on how busy the place is, imo. If you’re in stall 6 by the door, you don’t want to be bothered by the cold draft every time it opens. Plus, you don’t want to give those outside the bathroom a free peep show. A 4 stall buffer, as you suggested, seems safe enough.

On the other hand, using stall 6 affords the next user to have the choice between stall 3 and 4, as opposed to forcing them to stall 3. And life is all about giving people choices, right? 🤔
Wrong. Double up to save water on the flush, you monsters.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

All my Tesla friends are happy about the stations opening up.

I think order of operation is as simple as park next to another CCS car. Anywhere else takes up and extra space for sure. Same rules hold for Teslas. If everyone skips a space, then spots become unusable for the other format.
For every SC station with N spaces, all Teslas could use N spaces. If only CCS vehicles then N-1 spaces can be used. A mixture to both vehicle types could use at most N-1 spaces as well if there are sufficient number of each type of car available. So basically one spot goes unused. Not the end of the world. This goes to N spaces if there are non EV charging parking spaces adjacent that are open.
Sponsored

Last edited: