Sponsored

I tried to connect my R1S to my friend's Tesla wall charger, but it's not working

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I was expecting someone to say “Time for a new friend if you were allowed to use that adapter on a level 2 home charger.”
I'm not a big fan of asking to plug into a friend's charger. If one of my friends were traveling and needed to use my charger, that would be ok; as long as they don't do anything dumb like using the wrong adapter or burning my house down. I only have one friend with a Rivian and the others don't own EVs. After reading this, I'm going to be a bit more selective of my friends.
Sponsored

OP
OP

paranee2

First Name
Parani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wow very helpful forum. Thank you.
I jumped from tesla to rivian(regrets). Very different crowd. Good bye

solaskaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X,3, R1T Duo Max
These adapters confuse so many people. Interesting times ahead.
There's all these gas nozzles around. Some are red. Some are green and always separate. I thought gas is gas, so I just grabbed the closest green one and filled the tank. Why is my car now trashed?

OK, sarcasm done. The issue at hand is the classic: knowing just enough to be dangerous: so many think a plug is a plug ‘cuz electricity is electricity,
So SAE bends over backwards to ensure different plugs will not work together. The OP may have been trolling , but here is a case where RTFM should be printed on the adapter.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
There's all these gas nozzles around. Some are red. Some are green and always separate. I thought gas is gas, so I just grabbed the closest green one and filled the tank. Why is my car now trashed?

OK, sarcasm done. The issue at hand is the classic: knowing just enough to be dangerous: so many think a plug is a plug ‘cuz electricity is electricity,
So SAE bends over backwards to ensure different plugs will not work together. The OP may have been trolling , but here is a case where RTFM should be printed on the adapter.
100% I'm with you but 50% of the population is below the average IQ ;)

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Everyone should just chill the 'ef out. So what the person didn't understand it, then provide a nice post like 'Hey so you know that is a DC adapter and won't work on a home charger'. That is it over and done. No reason to be douchebags because you know something someone else doesn't.

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T

Gas stations have been around for a century, everyone uses them, and occasionally people still put diesel in their gasoline vehicle.

EVs are new, and I sure want to be supportive of people learning. Mistakes are going to be made. We can ridicule or educate. Outcomes vary.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

"Green" ones don't fit in gasoline cars. Knowing just enough can be dangerous.

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
Newbies make newbie mistakes. We were all newbies once, in everything we now do.

The Earth needs as many First World newbies as possible to get comfortable with EVs generally.

Rivian needs as many newbies as possible to get comfortable with Rivian specifically.

When I'm correct, but not kind, I'm often not helping anyone.

As a community, we had every right to set @paranee2 straight about a potential safety issue.

It may not have been wise to use as much sarcasm and snark as we did.

I hope this helps!

akc5247

First Name
AKC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Subaru Ascent Touring, 2024 R1S dual motor
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

OP - you used the incorrect plug.

There was another similar thread someone had posted last week which actually spelled out exactly this scenario. I'll see if I can find it.

You may want to bookmark either of the threads for future.

Good luck and welcome to Rivian.

Sponsored

RedRaiderRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T - Canyon Red
This all reminds me of a question about Tesla's from an experience I had last year. I have never owned a Tesla primarily because I am tall and find the low seats uncomfortable but I also could not function without a speedometer readout in front of the steering wheel.

Here is the story.
I was traveling in my Rivian and planned to stop at a free DCFC for 30 minutes or so to charge up before I headed home. I checked the ChargePoint app and the single charger was shown as available. I pulled up to the charger and a Tesla M3 was plugged in but the screen showed that the charger was not providing power. I looked in the car and no one was around. I decided to disconnect the cable and start charging my R1T.

20 minutes later the "owner" comes back looks at the M3 looks at my R1T and is very confused. I got out of my truck and told them the situation and they explained the M3 was a rental and they thought the adapter that AVIS gave them would work with any charger. Turns out they had a J1772 to Tesla adapter and had plugged in the AC pins of the CCS cable and didnt realize the difference. I used Plugshare to help them find a Supercharger that was on their way back to AVIS and they barely had enough range to get there.

My question for you previous/current Tesla owner's is "Does Tesla provide a CCS to NACS adapter for their vehicles or only the J1772 to NACS?". I wasn't sure if AVIS had taken it out of their rentals or it was missing.

DrewT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 RE1T Adventure Porsche , Cayenne Se Hybrid
Occupation
retired
Clubs

am in Paris now but when I get home there should be the A2Z Typhoon adapter as well as the an AC Tesla to 1772 adapter . A2Z does offer these as a pair for a reduced price . I ordered them as such for when travelling and staying I hotels with Tesla Level 2 AC chargers

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
This all reminds me of a question about Tesla's from an experience I had last year. I have never owned a Tesla primarily because I am tall and find the low seats uncomfortable but I also could not function without a speedometer readout in front of the steering wheel.

Here is the story.
I was traveling in my Rivian and planned to stop at a free DCFC for 30 minutes or so to charge up before I headed home. I checked the ChargePoint app and the single charger was shown as available. I pulled up to the charger and a Tesla M3 was plugged in but the screen showed that the charger was not providing power. I looked in the car and no one was around. I decided to disconnect the cable and start charging my R1T.

20 minutes later the "owner" comes back looks at the M3 looks at my R1T and is very confused. I got out of my truck and told them the situation and they explained the M3 was a rental and they thought the adapter that AVIS gave them would work with any charger. Turns out they had a J1772 to Tesla adapter and had plugged in the AC pins of the CCS cable and didnt realize the difference. I used Plugshare to help them find a Supercharger that was on their way back to AVIS and they barely had enough range to get there.

My question for you previous/current Tesla owner's is "Does Tesla provide a CCS to NACS adapter for their vehicles or only the J1772 to NACS?". I wasn't sure if AVIS had taken it out of their rentals or it was missing.
Tesla sells a CCS to Tesla adapter but it is not free and it is only compatible with newer vehicles unless the owner has taken it back to Tesla and paid for a retrofit.

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Wow very helpful forum. Thank you.
I jumped from tesla to rivian(regrets). Very different crowd. Good bye
Hey man, you kinda dug yourself a hole there. You have been on this forum since 2022, have started 8 threads and managed to respond to many other threads and then claim you never knew you couldn’t use the Lectron DCFC Adapter that you would have had to pre-order A LONG TIME AGO to charge on a wall charger. Considering this adapter has been the spotlight for many months and you had the wherewithal to pre-order it unlike 99% of others on this forum kind of points to the fact you are not as dumb as you make yourself sound and instead are just trolling. You then claim you are not tech savvy in the same response you added a photo of the Lectron adapter where you DIGITALLY drew on to make your point. Your initial post was vague at best and definitely had the appearance of trolling, so yeah, you got smacked around like Nacho Libré.

MtnRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S

My wife says RTFM to me all the time. Look, I know what I’m doing, ok!🤣
Sponsored