Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I noticed one launch felt weird but I couldn't put my finger on it. Most of my stops are turns so I don't always have an opportunity to do full power from dead stop.
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
If they did reduce it, i really suspect it was to limit warranty claims related to cracked subframes, noisy drivetrains, etc... They might be learning thru claims that they have weakness in certain components and needed to limit torque to reduce the stresses.
And I've never launched mine except from rolling 5 mph and I have a noisy drivetrain...

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
It could actually be faster 0-60 with a smoother launch. In racing there's a phrase sometimes used "Smooth is fast". Having the jerk off the line could disrupt the tire's traction, then it has to wait to get it back. It's better to not lose traction. We need to get someone with a decent 0-60 / 1/4 mile recording device do a few tests. My model 3 performance is about the same 0-60 as the quad motors, and it lacks the off the line punch. It's less fun, that my previous dual motor Model S with a second slower 0-60.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
And I've never launched mine except from rolling 5 mph and I have a noisy drivetrain...
I think just normal use results in play, but maybe if they really did reduce peak torque, it could be to reduce stress to drivetrain components and subframes.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
It could actually be faster 0-60 with a smoother launch. In racing there's a phrase sometimes used "Smooth is fast". Having the jerk off the line could disrupt the tire's traction, then it has to wait to get it back. It's better to not lose traction. We need to get someone with a decent 0-60 / 1/4 mile recording device do a few tests. My model 3 performance is about the same 0-60 as the quad motors, and it lacks the off the line punch. It's less fun, that my previous dual motor Model S with a second slower 0-60.
On the handful of times I have launched mine, I have not ever noticed any loss of traction. Not to mention if they figured out how to get these into the 2's 0-60, we would see a whole slew of social media posts about it from Rivian..
How they made it faster thru an update....

Sponsored

kyledmb

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Clubs

Tesla messed with this a while back. They had an "obstacle avoidance" option that came on by default. The loss in initial jump off the line was very noticeable. I'd imagine this is software related. Anything in the release notes about it?

jasonphoto01

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 1976 Ford Bronco, 2018 RR Sport
Occupation
Medical Field
I've always viewed one of the advantages of an electric vehicle as the opportunity to add new features occasionally. It never occurred to me that they could remove features that drew you to purchase. These sorts of things keep piling up, and here recently, for the first time ever, I've started considering reselling as an option.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Agree. As an EV, it's relatively easy for Rivian to reprogram the acceleration curve, and they could provide the same 0-60 time with a bit less launch power and a bit more power throughout the rest of the acceleration.

This is the fallacy of the butt dyno.
Rivian R1T R1S Launch mode not as good after update 1683557474882

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe this means we get Track Mode in 2023.18?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

So when do they tell us its going to cost to get full power back? I have noticed this on going almost every update. You used to be able to get a pretty good launch in all purpose as well now you pretty much have to go to sport. It saddens me every time I go to show someone how fast it is put my foot in it then see the power bar never comes all the way up.

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So when do they tell us its going to cost to get full power back? I have noticed this on going almost every update. You used to be able to get a pretty good launch in all purpose as well now you pretty much have to go to sport. It saddens me every time I go to show someone how fast it is put my foot in it then see the power bar never comes all the way up.
Beyond the highly calibrated and accurate Butt Dyno, there's zero evidence that anything was taken away.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Beyond the highly calibrated and accurate Butt Dyno, there's zero evidence that anything was taken away.
Watch your power bar. When I first got the truck mash the power pedal it would go all the way up unless below 30% now not so much.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Battery is only at 65% right now, and showing slightly reduced regen due to the pack temperature. There is a definite delay from when I'm off the brake pedal and when it starts going hard. Seems like Rivian might be trying to pre-load the drivetrain before really loading up on the power. Might be possible to avoid that by doing it yourself before fully going on the brake, might try again later.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch mode not as good after update Screenshot_20230508-110818

*Edit: This was from last year when I had the truck on snow tires and frozen road. Don't remember what the battery level was at but likely higher.
Rivian R1T R1S Launch mode not as good after update Screenshot_20221129-080158

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Watch your power bar. When I first got the truck mash the power pedal it would go all the way up unless below 30% now not so much.
Right. But Rivian never specified a launch power spec. All they specified was an 0-60 estimated time. If they apply the power more slowly at launch, and increase it greater than previously from 1.5 to 3 seconds, 0-60 could be the same or even faster. We just don't know until somone takes it to a track and does a controlled time test, not a butt dyno.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
Definitely a noticeable delay for me in sport mode doing a launch.
Sponsored