Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Has anyone else noticed that launch mode is no longer as strong as it was? This happened from this update. It used to have a suddenly jerk when coming off the break peddle. I thought it was just me but saw others discussing it. So I thought I would bring it here.
Sponsored

SirMouthsALot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I thought it was just me this morning or low SoC (<60%). I'll have to try it again today with a fully juiced battery. On the other hand, butt dynos are notoriously inaccurate... 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

RockStrongo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list
Can confirm, in Sport Mode holding brake and releasing it the launch is significantly weaker after the update. This is a major letdown, one of the primary reasons I bought the quad motor was for the performance. This feels like a bait and switch, the fact that functionality I had yesterday that was part of the reason I purchased the product can just be taken away via an update seems unethical.

Even worse is not disclosing this. Remember Apple's Batterygate where they were crippling the performance of phones? There are a lot of parallels here.

Sponsored

kenef

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I felt the same… was very disappointed and wasn’t sure why but realized the update was the only thing that changed.

I tried to confirm by charging to 100% and testing, unfortunately it was not the same- felt as if I were accelerating near 40%. Once I picked up speed (30/40ph) I felt it a bit more (similar to before) but that low end is gone for me :(

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
If they did reduce it, i really suspect it was to limit warranty claims related to cracked subframes, noisy drivetrains, etc... They might be learning thru claims that they have weakness in certain components and needed to limit torque to reduce the stresses.

Sponsored

zajak1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Bum
Haven't noticed any change, but quite frankly don't use that mode too much anyway....
It's also possible that you're all just getting use to that ridiculous start off the line...
try giving it a break for a few weeks

Notaevfan

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suburban, Silverado 2500, E39 M5, e34 M5, E36 M3,
Occupation
Home Builder
This weekend my wife and I both noticed this and tried many attempts. When you lift off the brake pedal, there is a very noticeable delay before all the power is applied. Definitely not from getting used to the power.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like it's time to get the butt dyno calibrated at a track to find out if RIvian made changes.

Rivian R1T R1S Launch mode not as good after update 1683553397907

Goose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner
Occupation
Clinical Research
Is the vehicle actually any slower? Could this be a tractions related change to put power down more effectively or did they actually alter performance?