First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
So you are basically saying that reservation timing means absolutely nothing if you want the vehicle you configured and not the vehicle Rivian has available to send you.
No, he's saying Rivian has planned its build schedule around your configuration to get you your truck relative to your place in line, and that if you decide to change it after its built, it will go to someone else.

I think the message is stop screwing around and changing your configuration to hopefully, maybe get your truck nominally sooner, and order the truck you actually want.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
No, he's saying Rivian has planned its build schedule around your configuration to get you your truck relative to your place in line, and that if you decide to change it after its built, it will go to someone else.

I think the message is stop screwing around and changing your configuration to hopefully, maybe get your truck nominally sooner, and order the truck you actually want.
Beat me to it and said it better.

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
I’ll wait for Godfodder to weigh in but that’s not the way I perceived what was written. Guess I’m looking at the dark side of things today.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I’ll wait for Godfodder to weigh in but that’s not the way I perceived what was written. Guess I’m looking at the dark side of things today.
Darth Gary.

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
Who the hell knows, but the idea that people need 14-30 days notice seems like a lot. I'm sure a lot of us have bought a vehicle in a matter of hours from walking into a dealer (secured financing and insurance). It's really not that complicated. I'm not implying they're only going to give you an hour or a day - but I don't think you need that much time to get things in order. A week would seem more than enough.
In your hypothetical, you walked on to the lot when you were ready to buy, not because the dealer called you and said “wanna car?” Not an apt comparison.

Most of us will be ready in days from getting the call, especially if we know it’s coming in a certain month. But there have been so many last minute delays that people - especially those first in line for delivery - would be foolish to, say, sell a current car to make garage space until they really know when delivery will happen. And many of us are busy enough with life that we can’t do that on a dime.

All that to say who knows what Rivian will do, but a couple of weeks notice is what I hope they’re aiming for. Hope people start hearing soon.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
These dates were given when Omicron was known and the Adventure dates were given late December when Omicron was in full swing.

As for configurations there are over a hundred with paint, wheel and interior. Other companies check ahead of time what is required, check address and payment details. So those getting deliveries in Feb should have heard. Time will tell.
Umm......no that's patently false. The LE dates were given in late November, when the 7-day average case count in the US was about 75-85k/day and represented approximately the low point post Delta surge (so quite the opposite, the COVID environment was at its most positive since before the summer/Delta). The current 7-day avg daily count is over 800k/day, so the situation is objectively 10x worse than it was then. The Adventure dates really aren't relevant to the discussion of Jan/Feb windows, but nonetheless the 7-day avg in late Dec was still "only" around 250k but rising fast.

The reality is that there has never been a higher probability of COVID labor disruptions than right now in this very moment, by a factor of over 3x. The all-time previous peak was about 250k/day exactly a year ago in Jan 2021 before the vaccine. The severity of infection or lack thereof is irrelevant, because you still can't come to work regardless.

Delivery dates may or may not be missed, and if they are it could be for any number of reasons, but to shrug off the current COVID situation from having an impact, or that it should have been expected/factored in, is just plain false.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
@AdamsFan1983 is in line with my understanding.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Umm......no that's patently false. The LE dates were given in late November, when the 7-day average case count in the US was about 75-85k/day and represented approximately the low point post Delta surge (so quite the opposite, the COVID environment was at its most positive since before the summer/Delta). The current 7-day avg daily count is over 800k/day, so the situation is objectively 10x worse than it was then. The Adventure dates really aren't relevant to the discussion of Jan/Feb windows, but nonetheless the 7-day avg in late Dec was still "only" around 250k but rising fast.

The reality is that there has never been a higher probability of COVID labor disruptions than right now in this very moment, by a factor of over 3x. The all-time previous peak was about 250k/day exactly a year ago in Jan 2021 before the vaccine. The severity of infection or lack thereof is irrelevant, because you still can't come to work regardless.

Delivery dates may or may not be missed, and if they are it could be for any number of reasons, but to shrug off the current COVID situation from having an impact, or that it should have been expected/factored in, is just plain false.
Well if CoVID is impacting manufacture so much, even though the factory is running at only a fraction of capacity, then they should inform people. It doesn’t stop them from contacting people in this delivery window.
Cases are up, but the vast majority of people (80+%) are working each week, so actual production should not be that impacted.

Sponsored

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

So many posts showed up on this thread in the last day I thought people were getting delivery dates.

Nope, just the usual speculation ?

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

In addition it takes some time to get insurance and financing.
I see a lot of folks say this, but you can line up financing and insurance in less than an hour. This is a non-issue unless there is something I'm missing. And, if you're paying cash you can do a wire transfer pretty rapidly as well.

So it is not unreasonable to say 14-30 days notice, rather than "Hi, we will deliver your truck tomorrow". It was also mentioned about delivery pickup or delivery at home, again Rivian would need some notice to schedule that. Therefore many people (if not all) in this delivery window should have been contacted if things are on track. Time will tell what approach it is.
I do agree with you overall however, I feel like 3 weeks out is the right amount of notice.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Well if CoVID is impacting manufacture so much, even though the factory is running at only a fraction of capacity, then they should inform people. It doesn’t stop them from contacting people in this delivery window.
Cases are up, but the vast majority of people (80+%) are working each week, so actual production should not be that impacted.
Contact them and say what exactly? That it could possibly impact the date? They will contact folks whenever they know something.

Also, where did you get the stat that 80+% of people are working each week? Did you just make that up, or is it published somewhere?

turbome

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
I think people are way underestimating the number of employees out of work due to covid. Our local Office Depot where my daughter works is having to close at 6pm each night instead of the usual 8pm due to so many employees out either sick or quarantine. All businesses are in the same boat right now. I would expect yet more delays.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Contact them and say what exactly? That it could possibly impact the date? They will contact folks whenever they know something.

Also, where did you get the stat that 80+% of people are working each week? Did you just make that up, or is it published somewhere?
From data at my workplace (3000+ R&D facility) and my kids school district and how many teachers are out, along with data from the Chicago teachers strike a figure of 10-15% of staff being out has been quoted. This seems a reasonable ballpark estimate. Actual impact seems less since schools are open, trash is being picked up, mail delivered each day so life is largely on track. That is why I don’t think any COVID absences at Normal should impact production, as opposed to actual supply chain shortages of parts which obviously would impact production..
Sponsored