Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Oh, I agree 2 to 3 weeks is fair. but that's different than what I interpreted TaycanFrank to he saying.

From rolling off the line to letting us know could be much quicker. I don't see a great reason that the trucks need to sit in Normal for two weeks before telling a customer their truck has been made. They could probably roll it off the line, ship it, and do another inspection at the service center in that much time.

It's been discussed before, but there also isn't much of a reason for them to tie "locking in a configuration " to building a truck. Or even shipping one. They can send them unassigned to a service center and then go down the list if Blue R1T LE trucks and find a person for the truck. I'm not saying that's what they are, or should be doing, but the logistics would still workout for now.
I would think they would want to let people know by a certain date to lock in a configuration because there are 9 colors, three interior trim colors and six wheel choices which equate to over 150 different configurations even before you get to camp kitchen etc. So I would argue it is in Rivians and the customers best interests to lock in the configuration before the build and work out delivery destination, financing etc.
Other companies do this and know their build schedule. I am not sure why Rivian cannot plan a few weeks ahead (they already must know how many they plan to build each
month to have sent out the estimates last year).
Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Totally agree. That's a bigger customer management problem in my mind. They really should find a way to fix that.
Getting late to fix this now unfortunately.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I would think they would want to let people know by a certain date to lock in a configuration because there are 9 colors, three interior trim colors and six wheel choices which equate to over 150 different configurations even before you get to camp kitchen etc. So I would argue it is in Rivians and the customers best interests to lock in the configuration before the build and work out delivery destination, financing etc.
Other companies do this and know their build schedule. I am not sure why Rivian cannot plan a few weeks ahead (they already must know how many they plan to build each
month to have sent out the estimates last year).
Wheels are easy to change. So 27 assembly options. 3 color choices are unpopular (yellow, red, black). So confirm for those 3 choices, rest are go aheads for builds.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Wheels are easy to change. So 27 assembly options. 3 color choices are unpopular (yellow, red, black). So confirm for those 3 choices, rest are go aheads for builds.
I see where you are coming from but Rivian can plan and communicate a little ahead like other companies do.
Your plan would still need vehicles to be shipped to the right state. Given maybe 500 are made this month then 9 or 27 (ignoring wheels and other accessories) is still a lot of variations per state.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

It's not only a amount of time but there are LE reservation holders who have spring 22 delivery windows who have never been given an opportunity to see the truck in person.
While I agree with you, my guess is they are leaning on the 7 day return window to cover those bases. "you don't need to see it beforehand, since you can just return it if you don't like it"

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
While I agree with you, my guess is they are leaning on the 7 day return window to cover those bases. "you don't need to see it beforehand, since you can just return it if you don't like it"
Yeah, the problem is then that the car that you likely traded in has gone poof. And I'm sure they don't want returns over color choices.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Yeah, the problem is then that the car that you likely traded in has gone poof. And I'm sure they don't want returns over color choices.
Fair point on trade ins - I'm not trading a car in, so that wasn't something I considered. On paint choices, they may not like it, but it's of their own making.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Fair point on trade ins - I'm not trading a car in, so that wasn't something I considered. On paint choices, they may not like it, but it's of their own making.
Agreed. I'm surprised they aren't bringing swatches on mobile drives or sending them to customers on request.

Sponsored

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
If I would return the R1T because I don’t like the color does that burn my place in the reservation line? That policy is no substitute for the opportunity to see the damn truck before I lock in a configuration

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If I would return the R1T because I don’t like the color does that burn my place in the reservation line? That policy is no substitute for the opportunity to see the damn truck before I lock in a configuration
I would guess "yes". The way I read the policy is it's a RETURN -- not an exchange. You can probably re-order, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that you wouldn't be at the back of the line, then. I also haven't seen any verbiage on whether there was a limit to the number of times or frequency the "return policy" may be exercised by a given individual/household.

OP
OP
SeaGeo

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I think yes as well, but a good question for CS.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I think yes as well, but a good question for CS.
One way to enable people to order with more confidence would have been to continue with the shows they did on the west coast so reservation holders could touch and feel the vehicles, check out colours and wheels. They could easily have started say in Boston and work their way down weekly the eastern seaboard and let people see before locking down their reservation. This could could have been done in a semi open setting, limited attendance and no test drive to be COVID safe and logistically easier.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Any feedback on how he likes the truck?
He loves it and is telling me I'm being stupid to wait for the max pack. He took it on a road trip this weekend, I have not heard details about that or any real specifics.
Sponsored