Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sorry to hear that. Are there a lot of confirmed reports of post-price change R1S pre-orders who have already taken delivery/confirmed config?
There have been a couple LE R1S's posted on Cars and Bids with the Monroney sticker having higher pricing on it, but no explanantion has ever been offered from those people. Guessing there is some kind of an F&F early reservation offered to those folks, but the numbers are going to be vanishingly small.
Sponsored

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
Kinda surprised you're pushed so far out. There are several R1S' already delivered in our area, and this is one of the top 3 places for overall deliveries in the country, so it's not like you're far away from an SC or something.

Sorry to hear you've come to this decision, that sucks. I feel your pain, I didn't have to wait as long as you, but I felt my share of frustration with the moving delivery targets throughout 2021 and 2022.
The folks I know with R1S's in Washington, including myself, are late 2018 and early 2019 customers. (I've had mine for 2 weeks as a Day 1 pre-order). They are way behind on the R1S's but I'm not convinced anything sketchy is happening here. I also think we in Washington are currently suffering from the incredibly high number of orders in the region and the fact the Service Center we have is super small. I have a minor defect with my R1S that they can't take a look at until June, for example.

The good news is there are two more service centers coming to the Seattle metro area. The bad news is it'll take a bunch of time to build them and I think once they get online you'll start to see Washington order fulfillment go up dramatically.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The folks I know with R1S's in Washington, including myself, are late 2018 and early 2019 customers. (I've had mine for 2 weeks as a Day 1 pre-order). They are way behind on the R1S's but I'm not convinced anything sketchy is happening here. I also think we in Washington are currently suffering from the incredibly high number of orders in the region and the fact the Service Center we have is super small. I have a minor defect with my R1S that they can't take a look at until June, for example.

The good news is there are two more service centers coming to the Seattle metro area. The bad news is it'll take a bunch of time to build them and I think once they get online you'll start to see Washington order fulfillment go up dramatically.
I think Rivian is limiting the amount of deliveries per service center. Lots of the early service centers are at capacity so that they are pushing the new vehicles to areas with new service centers going in. My area has a new service center that's going in that won't be active until either late this year or early next, so my other deliveries got pushed back because of that. It sucks, but so does the turn-around time on service right now.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I think Rivian is limiting the amount of deliveries per service center. Lots of the early service centers are at capacity so that they are pushing the new vehicles to areas with new service centers going in. My area has a new service center that's going in that won't be active until either late this year or early next, so my other deliveries got pushed back because of that. It sucks, but so does the turn-around time on service right now.
100%. Places like Seattle which hits WAY above its weight in EV adoption suffer a bit more.

R1S88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I think there's plenty of evidence that more than order date matters. I ordered 12/19 and received my R1S 12/22. I think that never changing my configuration and choosing a less popular color, Midnight Black, helped . Maybe I got lucky that they did a batch of Midnights, but it's just a guess.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
COdogman, I have agreed with just about every post you have made but....
This is an assumption I and any reasonable person has about a line. Yes we all know buisiness work differently once we think about it but if I go to a restaurant and am in a line for a table and the guy behind me gets a table based on the color of shirt he is wearing or he has a youtube channel or he is way better looking than I am (not hard) then yes, I am pissed and don't want to ever go to that restaurant again.

I (think) I know why Rivian is doing it and agree with it mostly but as said ad nauseum here, they need to communicate what they are doing better. Even if they said something stupid like we made too many Midnight+21 inch wheels because those are the parts we had and everyone with that config jumps the line, I would be much happier.
Speaking as someone who has probably lost many tables to people who are better looking than me :giggle: , I am the first to admit that Rivian’s communications need to be much better. That being said, we need to remember the earliest orders came before the pandemic which absolutely wrecked the global supply chain for all kinds of things. So it is possible Rivian started this process fully intending to deliver in sequential order and were forced to adjust and make whatever they had parts for at the time.

They did actually communicate this to us each time they explained they were having ”supply chain issues”, although not explicitly saying what could and could not be built at the time of those communications. And I do understand why they would not be that specific. If they say ”we can’t get silver paint right now” all that would accomplish is a bunch of people switch their orders to other colors. Then they might have a shortage of one of those other colors or something else they weren’t expecting. It’s a shell game.

Also, it’s worth pointing out that no other manufacturers are communicating any better than Rivian is. Obviously that is a very low bar, but we seem to have built them up into something more than they actually are, which is a brand new manufacturer who has made plenty of rookie mistakes and will make many more. it’s fair to hold them accountable for those mistakes.

Speaking only for myself, I never actually expected Rivian would make my truck in the exact order it was placed - especially since I placed mine in 2021, well into the pandemic and it’s well known effect on parts/ supplies. Others are obviously free to feel differently about that. I understand why people are frustrated about seeing others jump in front of them - I guess I just prefer to understand what it is I am actually frustrated about.

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Been waiting since April 2019, and I'm in Canada.

Go on.

Captain JB

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Retired Airline Pilot
Clubs

I do NOT blame you for your frustration. No they never promised any order of delivery but what company does not make DATE OF ORDER the main priority? Rivian really has messed up here along with the aborted raise in price. For some one to get delivery years before someone who ordered years after they did is just wrong in so many ways. I love the solution of taking delivery and returning it 6 days later. Rivian will n to feel anything else. I made my order 01/20 based SOLEY on what’s sales person said “ the R1S will be available with 400 miles range“ That wont happen before 2026 so it was an egregious lie. Best of luck.

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

All great points! I will extra agree with one of your points in that I am less frustrated with Rivian than many other car manufacturers, the bar is low as you say.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

there's a lot of blame to go around but ultimately it falls on Rivian. who planned and built out the SC? who created the Rivian lottery? who added too many options like Explore, colors, interior, wheels and other options? who communicated their own self-imposed timelines? who over-promised and under-delivered (SC, RAN, Membership)?

sure, we can put the wrong or misguided expectations on them but ultimately they created most of it.

at the same time, we do need to cut them some slack. new company, new vehicles, new production, pandemic, supply chain, etc. their comms however, i cut them very little slack. they've had enough time to learn but still amateur hour.

for the OP though this push back to 2nd half 2024 makes no sense. most people who ordered in the 4th quarter of 2021 ive seen fall into the 2nd half 2023 delivery window.

Sponsored

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
@BillyBob We are in exactly the same situation with the R1S. Reserved in Oct 2021, then 4Q 2022 then 1H 2023 and now suddenly bumped to 1H 2024.

Rivian's approach to bumping the new, higher-priced, customers is understandable but super frustrating. If they told us we could accelerate for a $5k or even a $10k price bump, we would likely do so. The internet would lose its mind if they offered such a thing. We would also trade the quad motor for a dual motor at same price if it came earlier. No issue. Would rather have the dual motor's extra range anyway. But it is such a mess we have no idea what to do except sit tight and sit and see. The current reservation *may* qualify for a tax credit and we do not want to lose that. That precludes a change, and shifting to a dual motor will push us back to the end of the line. So we wait and wonder and RIvian loses money.

Rivian effed up the pricing debacle so badly - first by raising prices on everyone then by lowering everyone back to original - and both customers and shareholders are paying the price. It is crazy. They should have graduated the pricing (e.g. original pricing for people pre 2021 reservations, price rising gradually for each month of seniority until they get to full price in March 2022). They should STILL do that. There is a happy median where Rivian can generate more money per unit and people will feel it is fair. And those who wish to screech and bark at the moon, just ignore them in the same way Tesla ignored people who bought vehicles in December. You missed the sale. Too bad. Get over it. Or don't. Whatever.

Mjl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
software engineer
You will probably get access to the R1 shop before then. I'd get another vehicle if you have to and stick it out unless you're dead set on your exact config.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
.... but if I go to a restaurant and am in a line for a table and the guy behind me gets a table based on the color of shirt he is wearing or he has a youtube channel or he is way better looking than I am (not hard) then yes, I am pissed and don't want to ever go to that restaurant again.
... now put yourself in the shoes of the struggling restaurant owner when you realise that guy (who might have a YT channel, better looks) is also going to PAY YOU MORE MONEY. And there are loads more guys out there who are also content (for now) to pay more. If I were the restaurant owner, I don't mind risking your lost business. In fact, I'm actively looking to bump the low payers down the line.

FWIW, I was really pissed a few years ago when Ford slapped a $20k mark up on my Bronco order. I never went back but I'm pretty sure someone paid up and that dealer is still in business.

VHRivian

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Chevrolet Traverse
I agree that it's sad and frustrating. I have had those same emotions every time my date gets pushed back.

If all goes to plan I will have waited 2 1/2 years and I will be on the shorter side of the waits. Based on the OP's date the projected wait will be about 2 1/2 years. Nothing seems off to me - that's just the way it is. I agree with others that if you just wait it out you are likely to get access to the Shop and get it way sooner, but of course no one knows.

Hankenstein

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius, 2023 R1T
Clubs

... now put yourself in the shoes of the struggling restaurant owner when you realise that guy (who might have a YT channel, better looks) is also going to PAY YOU MORE MONEY. And there are loads more guys out there who are also content (for now) to pay more. If I were the restaurant owner, I don't mind risking your lost business. In fact, I'm actively looking to bump the low payers down the line.

FWIW, I was really pissed a few years ago when Ford slapped a $20k mark up on my Bronco order. I never went back but I'm pretty sure someone paid up and that dealer is still in business.
Yep, for sure. I get and partially understand why Rivian is doing it, I just think in their case, there are super easy ways to do mitigate the frustration and ultimate loss of customer.

Don't get me wrong, I have an R1T and R1S ordered and am most certainly drinking the cool-aid (how dated is that reference? What do the kids say these days?)
Sponsored