Sponsored

Dual Motors are picked up fast in the shop: Why so little?

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Hey all,

Anyone have any insight into why there aren't many R1S dual motors in the shop (at least in Canada). It seems almost every single one is a Quad and 1-2 PDMs at any given time. Whenever a DM pops up, it gets snatched in a matter of minutes which leads me to wonder why they won't produce more DMs to throw them in the shop, clearly the demand is there (i'm someone also looking for a DM).
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
"Shop" vehicles were in the past were mostly orphans that someone ordered and didn't actually follow through and purchase. It seems that with the lower price vs Quad, not many Dual motor vehicles are orphaned.

DarthBrader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Quad/Large; Matchbox R1T
I have also noticed this pattern in the US. Also, the shop is mostly max packs. Seems they're trying to move higher-priced units, perhaps to prop up average prices and gross margins

As long as demand is absorbing factory capacity, why would they push lower-margin units? As demand levels off, they may push more lower priced configs. Or maybe the lower configs stay principally made-to-order, but if you're willing to shell out for a quad or max then you can have it right away from the shop.

jfoonly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-
Clubs

I have also noticed this pattern in the US. Also, the shop is mostly max packs. Seems they're trying to move higher-priced units, perhaps to prop up average prices and gross margins
Ditto, plus over this past weekend, in both the shop and the config tool, the Large battery pack went up in price from $6100 to $9100, I guess to make the so-called Max pack look better, instead of lowering the Max pack price to more closely match the $/KWh.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

The DM and DMP are exactly the same car. No production difference so you can do the math on Rivian's part.
Sponsored