Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Just above the driver side interior door opener, where the outside of your knee touches, the interior has peeled off for an area of 1 by 3 inches. Anyone else had this happen?
Rivian R1T R1S Interior peeling 20221122_101107
Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How tall are you? I don't think my knee gets close to that.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
That's definitely a warranty item. First time that I have heard of this issue.

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
How tall are you? I don't think my knee gets close to that.
Five feet eight inches on a good day! With my leg extended on the floor, it doesn't touch the door. But, I often flex my left leg at the knee, and the outside of my left knee touches lightly, not forcefully, against the inside of the door in this same area. I am a golfer, and often wear shorts. Have to use sunscreen, and wonder if the sunscreen that was applied to my legs while golfing has reacted with the interior lining? It is my best guess. I have not encountered this in any other vehicle I have owned, so this is apparently a problem with whatever lining material is being used in the R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
I think it just disintegrated. I hadn't even noticed it until someone riding with me pointed it out. Have had the truck since 5-21-22 and it is driven regularly.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Five feet eight inches on a good day! With my leg extended on the floor, it doesn't touch the door. But, I often flex my left leg at the knee, and the outside of my left knee touches lightly, not forcefully, against the inside of the door in this same area. I am a golfer, and often wear shorts. Have to use sunscreen, and wonder if the sunscreen that was applied to my legs while golfing has reacted with the interior lining? It is my best guess. I have not encountered this in any other vehicle I have owned, so this is apparently a problem with whatever lining material is being used in the R1T.
Bingo….some lotions/sunscreens/etc can do a number on interior finishes. They literally eat the paint/finishes like you are seeing. They will probably goodwill this and do investigation on their end to increase robustness…..well they should, but I guess you will find out.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just above the driver side interior door opener, where the outside of your knee touches, the interior has peeled off for an area of 1 by 3 inches. Anyone else had this happen?
20221122_101107.jpg
Mine is ok for now but that’s exactly where my knee touches…

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

Not acceptable at all, hopefully they just replace it.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Prolonged rubbing combined with chemicals in the lotion, against a vegan leather (re: vinyl) surface. I think you nailed it.

Still I wouldn’t have expected that. I haven't seen it on any other plastics or leather finishes. Keep us updated.

Reactions: Rad

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I've had other cars with vegan (vinyl) interiors and my wife constantly gets lotion and sunscreen on them. They can stain, but never disintegrate. Especially not in the first year. I'm always able to clean them with a very diluted degreaser.

This is not an acceptable Level of wear for any modern car. I would get that replaced asap.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I had sunscreen do this to a phone case once - some chemical interaction peeled the top layer of "texture" that gave the plastic underneath a soft-touch, grippy finish anywhere I had touched it. I was handling it and a short while later it felt like something had gotten stuck on the back of the case when I pulled it out of my pocket. I flipped it over and the soft-touch coating was "bubbling" off just like paint with paint remover. I could just push on it and it would flake off similar to how your panel looks and it was just hard, smooth, plastic underneath.

Not saying that this IS what's happening here - but given your description just wanted to say that it's actually quite possible.

Now should an "adventure" vehicle be using something susceptible to peeling off after contact with sunscreen products? - That's another discussion...

OP
OP

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired physician
I had sunscreen do this to a phone case once - some chemical interaction peeled the top layer of "texture" that gave the plastic underneath a soft-touch, grippy finish anywhere I had touched it. I was handling it and a short while later it felt like something had gotten stuck on the back of the case when I pulled it out of my pocket. I flipped it over and the soft-touch coating was "bubbling" off just like paint with paint remover. I could just push on it and it would flake off similar to how your panel looks and it was just hard, smooth, plastic underneath.

Not saying that this IS what's happening here - but given your description just wanted to say that it's actually quite possible.

Now should an "adventure" vehicle be using something susceptible to peeling off after contact with sunscreen products? - That's another discussion...
Absolutely agree. I have a Winnebago View, a Toyota RAV4, a Chevy Bolt EV and an EUV. I have driven in ALL of these vehicles with sunscreen on my legs and haven't seen ANY problem in any of these vehicles. It seems to be a poor material and bet there will be a lot of people taking notice of this spot on their driver side door looking to see if they are also having an issue. If so, maybe Rivian will change their material. Otherwise, not good advertising for Rivian.

I have brought it up with Rivian service including this same photo and will wait to hear their response. One OTHER possibility...just prior to receiving my truck, my R1T delivery was delayed due to an issue with the door handles. I was never told exactly what this was, but it was fixed at the Service Center prior to delivery and required additional parts from the factory. Could it be possible that the Rivian service center people actually got some kind of chemical on this area while they were replacing parts??? Will have to bring that up as well.

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Absolutely agree. I have a Winnebago View, a Toyota RAV4, a Chevy Bolt EV and an EUV. I have driven in ALL of these vehicles with sunscreen on my legs and haven't seen ANY problem in any of these vehicles. It seems to be a poor material and bet there will be a lot of people taking notice of this spot on their driver side door looking to see if they are also having an issue. If so, maybe Rivian will change their material. Otherwise, not good advertising for Rivian.

I have brought it up with Rivian service including this same photo and will wait to hear their response. One OTHER possibility...just prior to receiving my truck, my R1T delivery was delayed due to an issue with the door handles. I was never told exactly what this was, but it was fixed at the Service Center prior to delivery and required additional parts from the factory. Could it be possible that the Rivian service center people actually got some kind of chemical on this area while they were replacing parts??? Will have to bring that up as well.
I have owned a few other EVs myself and the only ones I have ever noticed that do this are Teslas. The hair spray and sunscreen chemicals ate through my seat and door material like this.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

Bingo….some lotions/sunscreens/etc can do a number on interior finishes. They literally eat the paint/finishes like you are seeing. They will probably goodwill this and do investigation on their end to increase robustness…..well they should, but I guess you will find out.
I remember Munro talking about a lot of the plastics are painted and how that had to be expensive compared to molded in color. This looks almost like chemically removed paint. Maybe?
Sponsored