First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I agree. It's the number one hesitation I had before I purchased this vehicle and it's been confirmed since I got it. People make a lot of assumptions about this truck.
The truth is, my income varies a lot from year to year. This year was the best ever. I've also been socking away money for this truck for a LONG time.
I want to have a T-shirt made that says "...actually, when you factor in tax credits, my early pricing and the write off for my business, I would've paid the same amount for a less equipped F150."
That is a great point. When I set the goal of getting an R1T I made a deal with myself that I would get multiple things paid off and cut back in other areas. I did that and when I consider the early pricing, state and federal credits, and my trade in value that covered more than half of the cost, my payment is barely $100 more than it was on my gas guzzling Tacoma. And I was spending $200-$300/ month on gas for that thing, so I can make an argument it's a wash when you factor in increased registration/ insurance costs.

Could I have saved money by not buying this? Yes. This is a YOLO vehicle for me. I've worked my ass off to this point in my life and I deserve it. I don't regret it even a little bit and I could care less what people think of me when I drive it:cool:
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I have no problem saying I

That is a great point. When I set the goal of getting an R1T I made a deal with myself that I would get multiple things paid off and cut back in other areas. I did that and when I consider the early pricing, state and federal credits, and my trade in value that covered more than half of the cost, my payment is barely $100 more than it was on my gas guzzling Tacoma. And I was spending $200-$300/ month on gas for that thing, so I can make an argument it's a wash when you factor in increased registration/ insurance costs.

Could I have saved money by not buying this? Yes. This is a YOLO vehicle for me. I've worked my ass off to this point in my life and I deserve it. I don't regret it even a little bit and I could care less what people think of me when I drive it:cool:
That can be a really hard thing to do.. Congrats on doing that.. I managed to get everything, except for my house paid off, in the last 5 years. No medical bills, no credit card bills (and I pay them off monthly), no nothing.

Then when my back really started acting up over the past couple years... I came to the same conclusion. I have earned this, and the added in benefit of the warranty... It was simple math.

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
I have no problem saying I

Same with the YOLO thing for me.
I don't care what people think of me when I'm driving, it's when I pull up on a jobsite. I feel like the clients and the trades are thinking that they are are paying too much for my services. Probably just in my head, but I'm definitely self-conscious about it. Mostly because of the way all of my friends are reacting to it.
Hell, the guy at the bank helping me with the purchase made a comment like, "So your in construction and you're buying a Rivian? Nice job!"

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That can be a really hard thing to do.. Congrats on doing that.. I managed to get everything, except for my house paid off, in the last 5 years. No medical bills, no credit card bills (and I pay them off monthly), no nothing.

Then when my back really started acting up over the past couple years... I came to the same conclusion. I have earned this, and the added in benefit of the warranty... It was simple math.
Congrats to you as well! I know you were understandably a little hesitant when it was finally time to pull the trigger. I hope you find it was worth it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Same with the YOLO thing for me.
I don't care what people think of me when I'm driving, it's when I pull up on a jobsite. I feel like the clients and the trades are thinking that they are are paying too much for my services. Probably just in my head, but I'm definitely self-conscious about it. Mostly because of the way all of my friends are reacting to it.
Hell, the guy at the bank helping me with the purchase made a comment like, "So your in construction and you're buying a Rivian? Nice job!"
I am conscious of it as well. Especially knowing that anyone (including my staff) who sees it and looks up current pricing will think I paid that much for it. They don't know the whole story. But I also know that I can't make everyone understand I didn't pay that much and I shouldn't honestly care. Nor should you!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Congrats to you as well! I know you were understandably a little hesitant when it was finally time to pull the trigger. I hope you find it was worth it.
I do have one regret... I want a R1T.... like I REALLY want a R1T... But I got kids to think about, and I really wouldnt use the T part much. A R1S also fits better in my garage... So some compromises were made.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
You should probably add a couple notches to that poll. Or if your really wanted to know you could pull up the thread where the new tax credits were announced last year and see how many pages of people bitching about no longer qualifying at 350K.
Where is the 350K

For single people the limit is $150K

Which really sucks because a house for a single person costs the same as a house does for a married couple.

Disclosure - I already took the full $7500 tax credit three times so I've had my fair share of tax credits. I'm only arguing in solidarity with my group of people. :)

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Where is the 350K

For single people the limit is $150K

Which really sucks because a house for a single person costs the same as a house does for a married couple.

Disclosure - I already took the full $7500 tax credit three times so I've had my fair share of tax credits. I'm only arguing in solidarity with my group of people. :)
I was just trying to keep it in the income limits of the people in my company make..

But to appease the masses.. I added a 350k + line. So if you want to edit your vote, just hit the change vote
Rivian R1T R1S How much household income? 1700181536504
above, and reselect!

It wouldnt let me edit the $175k line to add $175k to $350k

I also added a end date to the poll for Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
So far this is a really telling poll.... And I lost the argument with my Co-Workers.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The results are pretty much what I expected.

Sponsored

Nine_One_Six_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Clubs

So far this is a really telling poll.... And I lost the argument with my Co-Workers.
what was the argument if you don't mind?

I agree with you on the points about people making judgements. My neighbor was chatting with me about the car and brought up the price. He mentioned that my car choice was close to $100k. So I know he looked at the price on in online.

What he did not know is that I fully qualified for the $7500 credit and that I got in pre-price hike significantly lowering my cost compared to what is shown online right now. But hey like you said, this was a YOLO decision for me.

Our R1S is replacing a commuting car I drove for 20 years and a family SUV that we drove for 15 years. I can do both with the R1S.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I want to have a T-shirt made that says "...actually, when you factor in tax credits, my early pricing and the write off for my business, I would've paid the same amount for a less equipped F150."
Coworker just bought a new F-150 Lariat FX4. Figure in the tax credits and I paid less for my R1T...crazy.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director

Magicbus

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dual Performance R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Occupation
Retired
Annual income is kind of meaningless for people who saved and are now retired and simply get to buy the things they want.

OP
OP
TollKeeper

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ast HR Director
I will talk about it tomorrow after the poll has closed.
Sorry for the delay... Got 2 days off from work... So I disconnected.

The argument that I was making that most people in the 75-125 bracket are buying EV's because of the fuel savings. I have this same pole posted on another website. My Co-Workers were making the argument that only someone that rakes in the money can afford this type of vehicle.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I would reveal what I can about my income, and burdens.

For the record, I am considered LOW income. I make about 65k before taxes. This is also why I don’t qualify for the 7500 Tax Credit.. I simply don’t have the tax burden. I do have 2 kids, and by the time you account for the child tax credit, I get a full refund on all my federal withholdings.

And yet, here I am buying a Rivian. I almost bought a Model Y. And to be honest, I am still considering it. Nothing is final until the keys/card/wristband/etc are in my hand.
Sponsored

Last edited: