First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
I think I’m a relatively young and poor man for this forum. However I’m planning some big moves financially this year and I should be making enough more to not hesitate at the financing for this by the time my June 2021 preorder comes around.
I’m single so I don’t know how having a partner factors in financially.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Why do these options assume young people can't have high incomes and older people can't have low incomes?
It was just easier to write/look at that way. I didn’t want 40+ options…

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
I don’t understand this? You don’t want to take part in the discussion thats fine. A one word reply to a forum thread, doesn’t really get much a message across

Sponsored

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
I think I’m a relatively young and poor man for this forum. However I’m planning some big moves financially this year and I should be making enough more to not hesitate at the financing for this by the time my June 2021 preorder comes around.
I’m single so I don’t know how having a partner factors in financially.
If you’re 20-30 and have 2-3k of disposable income as you responded in the poll you should not under any circumstances buy a $70k vehicle. Nor should you once you make your “big moves” and have higher disposable income for a possibly limited period of time. Build up an asset/investment base first. And if you ever plan on getting married and having kids, daycare/college savings is like buying a Rivian each year…

If you can’t buy it in cash 3 times, don’t buy it at all (except for a house).

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
The options basically cap out at $180k if over 60, and then the next option is $1 million +, and for some reason if you’re at that level you must have inheritance... I would guess many members fall between those two data points.

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
If you’re 20-30 and have 2-3k of disposable income as you responded in the poll you should not under any circumstances buy a $70k vehicle. Nor should you once you make your “big moves” and have higher disposable income for a possibly limited period of time. Build up an asset/investment base first. And if you ever plan on getting married and having kids, daycare/college savings is like buying a Rivian each year…

If you can’t buy it in cash 3 times, don’t buy it at all (except for a house).
I highly underestimated on that poll because I’m a homeowner that gets an additional 2400 a month in rent on average. And these “big moves” aren’t some stupid stocks or something, I’m talking about actually making a career move.
Not going into my personal life but I’ve underachieved until recently, and those plans of marriage and kids aren’t for everyone…

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
The options basically cap out at $180k if over 60, and then the next option is $1 million +, and for some reason if you’re at that level you must have inheritance... I would guess many members fall between those two data points.
I think you are ignoring “minus tax/rent/mortgage”
That is 180k a year in disposable income. Around 400k before everything i would think

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
I also don’t want to argue about what people can afford or choose to get car-wise. But I sure see a lot of broke ass people leasing/financing ~$40k cars so why can’t I who own a home, am single, have disposable income and extra rent money, get a nice car?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I also don’t want to argue about what people can afford or choose to get car-wise. But I sure see a lot of broke ass people leasing/financing ~$40k cars so why can’t I who own a home, am single, have disposable income and extra rent money, get a nice car?
Because it's not prudent in your position. The prudent man would be investing that money for his retirement.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Because it's not prudent in your position wouldn't. The prudent man would be investing that money for his retirement.
Thats fair, I think it certainly isn’t prudent of me but personally I think it will motivate me to make more to keep enjoying my luxury.

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
I want to mention that Rivian specifically states their financing goes up to 84 months and with a down payment that could be less than $1k per month

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Also, as someone who lives in a capitalist society that generally pushes the idea of career advancement and 5/10 year goals, could someone explain to me this concept of “temporary increase in disposable income”. I would hope the only thing temporary is the fact that it was your most recent increase
Sponsored