First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Also, as someone who lives in a capitalist society that generally pushes the idea of career advancement and 5/10 year goals, could someone explain to me this concept of “temporary increase in disposable income”. I would hope the only thing temporary is the fact that it was your most recent increase
I think they are just cautioning that current income does not guarantee that it can be sustained and/or increase.

I know several friends that had their own companies or lucrative jobs that due to shifts in those fields or economies had to shift gears and were never able to get back to those lucrative numbers.

Probably the best examples would be pro athletes, look at how many retire from the sport and even after making millions end up bankrupt when they leave the sport.

I don’t think anyone is speaking of your particular situation, only you would know what that is. They are only suggesting to proceed cautiously.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(Sold) 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Web Development
I think they are just cautioning that current income does not guarantee that it can be sustained and/or increase.

I know several friends that had their own companies or lucrative jobs that due to shifts in those fields or economies had to shift gears and were never able to get back to those lucrative numbers.

Probably the best examples would be pro athletes, look at how many retire from the sport and even after making millions end up bankrupt when they leave the sport.

I don’t think anyone is speaking of your particular situation, only you would know what that is. They are only suggesting to proceed cautiously.
This is a perfectly sound advice/take on this. I wholeheartedly agree that these things aren’t always certain. I’m not trying to tell anyone that my decision is smart, but I could afford it when I put in the preorder, and from recent prospects its looking like the cost will be even less a consideration and this is gonna be my one nice thing that will make me happy.

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
How many of the other old farts here are chuckling faintly to themselves?
I’ve enjoyed the dialogue, its interesting to hear people’s takes on my decision. But I think some people may need to understand it’s easier to afford a nice car when you don’t have to worry about things like getting your second kid a car in 4 years when they turn 16 or deal with your significant other being able to veto your choices. We are all at different points and prospects in our life and its stupid to waste your time being upset that people who make less than you are attempting to enjoy the same luxuries.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Then why ask about other's finances? Seems like a very personal thing to discuss.
Thats an opinion, one that I believe is mostly tied to age in this country.

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Just want to say I really appreciate those who have actually responded to the poll. Its interesting to see these numbers. And props to you mr. millionaire, I’m certain we are all envious. I personally hope to get to your level one day

Edit:
Okay I see now that it is public who voted what so I can see why there is some negativity about responding to this poll. I still don’t care about that being public for me personally . This type of info isn’t trade secrets people, and if you don’t want it to be known about you if you can be traced back to your account just don’t respond.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
Some people are about to get some “Nigerian prince” correspondence.
I would think its easy to already have a rough idea on these types of numbers looking at someone’s lifestyle unless they are stashing some serious cash without telling anyone.

To add to this, as reparations to anyone who gets targeted by their friends/family/solicitors due to responding to this poll: I’ll help set up your spam filters and social media blocking.

Last edited:

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

I also don’t want to argue about what people can afford or choose to get car-wise. But I sure see a lot of broke ass people leasing/financing ~$40k cars so why can’t I who own a home, am single, have disposable income and extra rent money, get a nice car?
I also don’t want to argue about what people can afford or choose to get car-wise. But I sure see a lot of broke ass people leasing/financing ~$40k cars so why can’t I who own a home, am single, have disposable income and extra rent money, get a nice car?
You drive an 84 LC, I completely trust your decision making. Don’t listen to these cranky old folks.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
You drive an 84 LC, I completely trust your decision making. Don’t listen to these cranky old folks.
And that piece of junk has been costing me a lot per year that I’m planning to finally let go of and put towards this Rivian. I think the R1S is the closest modern vehicle to the spirit of older land cruisers in terms of blending luxury and off road in a new and exciting platform.
Edit:
I always add to my posts but I want to add that I am not a fan of any land cruiser past the 100-series, and clearly neither is the rest of north america since Toyota won’t even consider the new 300-series here. But maybe they should instead try something different and people like me would be interested in Toyota again

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

And that piece of junk has been costing me a lot per year that I’m planning to finally let go of and put towards this Rivian. I think the R1S is the closest modern vehicle to the spirit of older land cruisers in terms of blending luxury and off road in a new and exciting platform.
Edit:
I always add to my posts but I want to add that I am not a fan of any land cruiser past the 100-series, and clearly neither is the rest of north america since Toyota won’t even consider the new 300-series here. But maybe they should instead try something different and people like me would be interested in Toyota again
I agree on LCs, newer aren’t worth the money and the R1S is the only thing I have even considered replacing my 100 series with. Hoping to crack 300K before I get the R1S. Good luck with your career moves.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I highly underestimated on that poll because I’m a homeowner that gets an additional 2400 a month in rent on average. And these “big moves” aren’t some stupid stocks or something, I’m talking about actually making a career move.
Not going into my personal life but I’ve underachieved until recently, and those plans of marriage and kids aren’t for everyone…
You’re 22, calm down. A bit early to worry about “underachieving“. Most 22 year olds have only been in the real working world for a year or two, if they’re not still in school.

Guess you’ve got a few years to learn that rigid “I’m going to do (thing) in the next (x) years“ type plans rarely go the way one expects.

And you’re asking people about their personal lives without being willing to talk about your own?

OP
OP
mount_finkus

mount_finkus

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Web Development
You’re 22, calm down. A bit early to worry about “underachieving“. Most 22 year olds have only been in the real working world for a year or two, if they’re not still in school.

Guess you’ve got a few years to learn that rigid “I’m going to do (thing) in the next (x) years“ type plans rarely go the way one expects.

And you’re asking people about their personal lives without being willing to talk about your own?
I don’t know where you got “22” from so I don’t know how to respond to the rest of this.

And again, I don’t believe current career and salary are personal details. Things like past drug addictions, mental health issues, and a period of unemployment are personal details

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I don’t know where you got “22” from so I don’t know how to respond to the rest of this.

And again, I don’t believe current career and salary are personal details. Things like past drug addictions, mental health issues, and a period of unemployment are personal details
I’m old and need new glasses, I read your post count as your age ?
Mea culpa(I learned that in Latin class)

Career and income are personal details.
Sponsored