First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I have had my R1T since May and unfortunately, it has spent almost half that time either undrivable or at the service center in Bellevue. It's back there right now for an air suspension issue that I think they are getting close to solving.

The last few days I've noticed that they have allowed the SoC to drop below 20%. It's currently at 16% and I'm expecting at least another 2% loss before they back into the office on Monday (or 4% if Tuesday). This seems negligent to me - I've been methodical about keeping it charged to 70% just about every day. I've read anecdotally that you should try to keep it above 20%.

Anybody know the real answer to how low you should allow your battery SoC to drop before you start causing damage?

Seth
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I have had my R1T since May and unfortunately, it has spent almost half that time either undrivable or at the service center in Bellevue. It's back there right now for an air suspension issue that I think they are getting close to solving.

The last few days I've noticed that they have allowed the SoC to drop below 20%. It's currently at 16% and I'm expecting at least another 2% loss before they back into the office on Monday (or 4% if Tuesday). This seems negligent to me - I've been methodical about keeping it charged to 70% just about every day. I've read anecdotally that you should try to keep it above 20%.

Anybody know the real answer to how low you should allow your battery SoC to drop before you start causing damage?

Seth
I have had the same issue, at the same service center, as my truck has spent a few months there. It wasn't a big deal during the summer, but it has been an issue recently. Last time it got down to 10% even after I expressed my desire to never let it fall below 30%. I had to reach out to the center to have them charge it. Just keep an eye out and be proactive about your desired SoC.

SoCalTravels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Nexo, Lexus RX450h
How do you get in touch with the service center? We’ve called Rivian support 3 times asking for an update. Each time the conversation plays out the same.

Rivian Phone Support: let me call the service center to get an update for you.
Me: you’ve done this before they won’t answer
Rivian Phone Support: we have a special line to reach them…
2 mins later…
Rivian Phone Support: we couldn’t get ahold of the service center, but will send them an email with your concerns and they will call you back today
Me: that’s what you said last time
Rivian Phone Support: I’ve highlighted the urgency to call you. I’m confident you will hear from them today.

3 phone calls and 9 days later… no info on what is happening with the vehicle, no emails, no texts. Extremely disappointed in Rivian communication. Its aggravated by the fact we only had our new car for 2 days before it was taken back…. Not a great start to owning a Rivian.

OP
OP

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
I have had the same issue, at the same service center, as my truck has spent a few months there. It wasn't a big deal during the summer, but it has been an issue recently. Last time it got down to 10% even after I expressed my desire to never let it fall below 30%. I had to reach out to the center to have them charge it. Just keep an eye out and be proactive about your desired SoC.
Thanks for the input. Last week I did this - it took two calls to get them to plug it in. I was due a call on Friday and was going to discuss it with them at this call. They have been better (after getting my Guide involved) but they missed this call. I called Saturday morning but figured it was too late. I'm hoping the truck will come back this week.

I've been taking screenshots in case I need to try to escalate this at some point in the future.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I wouldn't let it go below 0%

Sponsored

electruck4x4

Site Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Electruck4x4.com
Vehicles
'22 R1T VIN 2xx, '19 Model 3, '70 Blazer
It’s likely not the first or last time this will happen. Between sitting in a lot at the factory and transport to a service center, vehicles discharge. The reality is, it’s not feasible to charge every vehicle at a delivery or service center at all times and no one in the industry does.

Charging ~0-100% regularly will have a detrimental effect on battery life. That is true. That said, a few service appointments below 20% will be unnoticeable (and unmeasurable for that matter) over the thousands of cycles in the battery lifespan.

It’s a little like paint. I like to keep my truck indoors because I like to minimize environmental wear. Anytime I take it out and actually use it, though, it will wear. This includes taking it to a service center where it will likely get dusty before they wash it and return it to me.

I know that might not be how you’d prefer to treat your truck, but it’s the reality of servicing vehicles at scale. (Don’t shoot the messenger here. Just telling it like it is).

Having said all that, if it gets into the single digits, someone needs to pay attention to it -whether it’s actively in repair or not.

Last edited:

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
Huge overreaction to complain about SOC. If they kill the battery and return it to you with less than you need to get to a L3 charger, that’s one thing. Letting it drain sitting there is no biggie as another user indicated. Small potatoes.

That’s like saying the Ford detailed needs to add gas to your vehicle because they test drove it around some when diagnosing a problem. Not going to happen. Or trickle charge your 12v because it’s using energy sitting there with a proximity key nearby.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I was interested to learn from a mobile tech that the charge the service R1Ts to 100% every time. Part of it is for testing purposes and part convenience of the extra range.

What I found most interesting was his comment that even charging to 100% every time he said "those batteries are good for 3000 cycles anyways," which is 3x what has been discussed here previously. 3000 cycles would equate to about 900,000 miles, which seems like a lot.

OP
OP

ipadl

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
R&D
The difference between adding gasoline to my tank and keeping the vehicle above 20% is that the tank won't grow smaller as a result of not having it filled (possibly). This is really what I'm worried about - accelerated battery wear due to poor maintenance.

Huge overreaction to complain about SOC. If they kill the battery and return it to you with less than you need to get to a L3 charger, that’s one thing. Letting it drain sitting there is no biggie as another user indicated. Small potatoes.
I'm concerned about long term battery life but I admittedly don't know the low end of what's recommended. I do know that your aren't supposed to charge to 100% and let it sit. I'm sure that it would be equally bad to discharge to completely (or near) and let it sit. The question to me is what is best practice for EV batteries? Why do you believe that letting it discharge while sitting there is no biggie/small potatoes? If you have some non-anecdotal info to share that would be great. All I've been able to find so far is anecdotal.

Sponsored

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
The difference between adding gasoline to my tank and keeping the vehicle above 20% is that the tank won't grow smaller as a result of not having it filled (possibly). This is really what I'm worried about - accelerated battery wear due to poor maintenance.

I'm concerned about long term battery life but I admittedly don't know the low end of what's recommended. I do know that your aren't supposed to charge to 100% and let it sit. I'm sure that it would be equally bad to discharge to completely (or near) and let it sit. The question to me is what is best practice for EV batteries? Why do you believe that letting it discharge while sitting there is no biggie/small potatoes? If you have some non-anecdotal info to share that would be great. All I've been able to find so far is anecdotal.
The battery has a warranty that will outlive your ownership of the truck. Going to zero on a several occasions won’t do anything that you would be able to calculate to perceive. It’s all internet non-sense. Don’t leave it at 0 for months on end but 0 for a few days won’t harm it long term.

Take an RC car for example. Kiddo plays w it until battery is dead flat. Charge it to 100 and run it again. Do you notice the 1 second of less play time or battery failing? Nope. Because it’s not measurable in any significant way.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I’m more concerned with the length of time for repairs than the battery drain. Same SC, mine was in for a month for several issues. The pace was very slow. I suspect due to a long backlog of service tickets and a huge push of Q4 deliveries combined with a small SC that can’t handle the load for the metro area.

I hear a new SC is on the way.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
It's not going to hurt it, as other posters have said. But, I like to keep mine above 60-70% at all times because if my power goes out, I still want to be able to leave the house with a decent range available.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

A few days here or there below 20% shouldn’t have any lasting effects. Just don’t make a regular habit of it. It’s when they dont top off enough for me to get home from the SC that becomes a bit annoying. They have a bunch of L2 chargers right there in the parking lot!
Sponsored