Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manufacturing
Clubs

The only issue I see here is, will the garage close with the cable in the way? It's a pretty thick cable and I think the garage may not like that and start to open back up.
is the consensus that it's very bad juju to install the home charger in the garage while planning to charge in the driveway with garage door closed on the cord? or is it just slightly bad juju / many people do it/ not that big of a deal? ...because my Texas basement aka garage has never fit a vehicle in it.
you can buy an EV cord protector from Amazon. It’s about 4” square and 1/2” thick with a channel in the middle for the cord to pass through, the garage door shuts on top of it.
Sponsored

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
you can buy an EV cord protector from Amazon. It’s about 4” square and 1/2” thick with a channel in the middle for the cord to pass through, the garage door shuts on top of it.
Two scrap pieces of wood, each about a half-inch thick and an inch wide, one on either side of the cord, do the same thing for me.

It's worked for me for a couple of years, anyway .... but maybe I don't have a snooty enough Homeowners Association....

Best to all!

R1TCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW R1150 GSA
Outdoors in Colorado

IMG_5458.JPG

IMG_5459.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG
Hey Stationmaster... 1.5yrs later, where did you source the box? I'm thinking this might be the way to go in my Florida place where I will connect to an unused A/C disconnect to mount my Rivian charger.

Stationmaster

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 1951 MG TD MKII
Occupation
retired educator
Hey Stationmaster... 1.5yrs later, where did you source the box? I'm thinking this might be the way to go in my Florida place where I will connect to an unused A/C disconnect to mount my Rivian charger.
I got the "small" version and used a grinder to cut out a hole for the Rivian charger. Box from Amazon .... BMZZX Tesla ...$179.99

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Some of you have some fabulous installs! I have a 100 year old house with an almost 50 year old panel. It's an over stretched 100A but passed a load calc by a hair using a 50a for the evse. Except for AC there are no major appliance loads using ng for heating. Short run so an easy install.
2023-12-03 14.15.51.jpg

The weekend house is even older and got the $100 install with a 14-50 since it gets so little use. Had plenty of cable and conduit left over.

20240114_121549.jpg
20240113_171802.jpg

And it's one of these days
Looks like the "new" autel design there. Looks great, I love our autel and not one hiccup just past one year of usage.

Sponsored

@n!m@l!@

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 MDX, 2016 RX350, 2018 Tacoma
Just got this installed today by a licensed electrician here in Southern Oregon. Total cost including permit, materials, and labor is $543. If anyone in the area needs an electrician to install their EVSE, message me and I will provide the info.

60 amp breaker
#6 THHN wiring
Carlon 3/4" conduit

Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here tempImagePJfNjR

madhat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_4748

Not the prettiest right now, but I’ve got a hard wired unit and a receptacle for my welder.
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_4722

Tesla level 2 with J1772 connector.
Rivian R1T R1S Show off your Level 2 Home Charger installs here IMG_4707

It’s the little things…

OP
OP
jeeden

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Just got this installed today by a licensed electrician here in Southern Oregon. Total cost including permit, materials, and labor is $543. If anyone in the area needs an electrician to install their EVSE, message me and I will provide the info.

60 amp breaker
#6 THHN wiring
Carlon 3/4" conduit

tempImagePJfNjR.jpg
Clean install

Derkaramma

First Name
Derrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Nissan Rogue Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1S QM-LP