Sponsored

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
6 months to a year? That's insane. It's not like they have to actually change anything in production, you just put in the different color. Did someone forget to order the OC/FE materials?? :CWL:

Rivian is a bizarre company.
Knowing nothing about making a vehicle in large scale, I'd imagine it isn't that easy. Much like when something breaks in IT and people say "Just revert it back, it's simple" when there's 200 domino effect from one small change.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

I will not give up on Ocean. Im sticking with it!

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I asked about the R1S but no info on that.

My guess is that Rivian is under pressure to get trucks out quickly with Ford on their heals. If they can have their interior department concentrate on just one style they can pump out deliveries faster. I have heard where people have pre-orders in for Rivian, F150 lightings, and Cyber trucks. Whatever they get first just cancel the other pre-orders. My guess is Ford is going to start shipping late this year. The more trucks Rivian can have on the road the happier customers and investors will be.

My wife made a good point that with the price I will be paying I could sell my truck even in a few years and get a new one with all the exact options I want and sell my old truck for more than I paid. Time will tell. I am just happy that I will soon be a Rivian owner. Finally...
Sadly, on the flip side, they really have 0 competition on the 3 row SUV side of the equation, which just supports your point more.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
The frustration is compounded by the 3/1 fiasco since, iirc, any changes I make to my configurator won't actually matter since mine hasn't been reverted yet, so I can't just swap to BM to trigger a guide contact, and I can't ask CS to get me a guide (they say no every time). Some of us are getting totally screwed here, imo.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I wonder if it's a supply chain issue for the other interiors or if it's simply about prioritizing the production line in some way? I would think it's probably supply chain. But in that case they could easily give the guides a line like "due to supply chain constraints OC and FE interiors are delayed X months right now" and that would at least give people enough info to make an educated purchase decision.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

Thanks for sharing, and thank you all for the respectful communications with Rivian staff - I hold a special place in my heart for CS reps and I always try to be respectful and kind to them like those on this thread have been. Vent on the forums (that's what we're here for), but be kind to the CS chat folks (like those above have been).

I'm a July-Sept delivery window R1S LE, White/OC. I still haven't seen a Rivian in person and would still like to evaluate all three interior options before finalizing. After waiting all these years for the truck, I might be OK switching to black magic interior if it meant getting my truck 6 months or more earlier. Hopefully this will all shake out before my turn comes up.

Adding Santana to my day-one or test drive playlist...

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I think the accessory options for the Black Magic interior are a bit.. different :D

dsudot77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tiguan
ocean coast or forest edge = +$2000.00 option/upgrade for anyone after March 1st, so presumably either its more costly to obtain the materials for those, or theres a cost to refactor the assembly line processes to accommodate them.

so I wonder if rivian is just trying to push people away from a more costly option for them

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Claiming it could be a 6 month delay sounds like they are simply coercing you into switching to BM. For all the times CS has said "order what you want, not what you think will come in first", this sounds like they are saying "take what we have" instead. It's no different than a dealership where they want you to buy off the lot rather than custom ordering, which is what we've been lead to believe we are doing.

Sponsored

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Knowing nothing about making a vehicle in large scale, I'd imagine it isn't that easy. Much like when something breaks in IT and people say "Just revert it back, it's simple" when there's 200 domino effect from one small change.
Nah. It's the exact same material, just one is dyed a different color. It's like putting a green piece of paper in a printer vs a white piece of the same size/thickness, either way they're loading the same material it's just one is a different color. It shouldn't even slow the process down to do different interior colors, as it's the same interior.

If they're delaying OC it's a supply issue, ie.. they forgot to order it soon enough or the material they got in didn't meet QC standards. Or they want people to swap to BM to save money.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

6 months to a year? That's insane. It's not like they have to actually change anything in production, you just put in the different color. Did someone forget to order the OC/FE materials?? :CWL:

Rivian is a bizarre company.
I think it may be a bit more complex than that. I could see color matching of plastics and textiles coming into play, depending on what raw materials are required and if they are constrained in any way. I think that varying shades of black or dark gray are more forgiving.

The other potential issue is that the wood trim pieces may have serious color match issues, too, even if the stain is the same. Given the variability of how wood takes stain, I can see the lighter colors showing more differences between pieces within the same interior because they come from different pieces of wood. There are slabs on the dash, fairly large trim pieces on the doors, a thin piece on the center console and a couple of small pieces on the steering wheel. (Did I miss anything?) Imagine if the dash was different from the doors which differ from the steering wheel which is off from the center console.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

OC may end up being a hot ticket on the resale market. I may have to go from BM to OC at this rate.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
"May be another 6 months to a year" sounds highly speculative and structured in a way to shift you towards BM. I'm chatting with my guide tomorrow. He has yet to indicate any delay in my config which has always been OC with an Apr/May window.

OP
OP
DannyC

DannyC

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 RAM 1500, 2022 R1T (soon)
Occupation
Computer Consultant
I just wish rivian was more transparent with their communications. The timelines are very speculative!
Sponsored