First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Is the Ford Lightning Forum exploding with accusations of “bait & switch” yet?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Maybe their ADMs will go down by the same amount.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Don’t forget to check things like interior specs. A $77,000 lariat has cloth seats and no sunroof. Doesn’t have a heated steering wheel, all with only 240 miles of range. No premium sound system.

A dual motor R1T actually has quite a few advantages at the price point, and that’s assuming you don’t have to deal with ADM.

Edit: Also doesn’t include BlueCruise, which is Ford’s version of Driver +. You have to pay an extra $2,200 and then pay a subscription fee (it works okay, but has little annoyances just like all other systems). Does have ventilated and heated cloth seats (leather trimmed and front-only) and range estimate is now 240 miles from 230. No bed liner or mobile charger ($500!). It does have a few nice items such as better onboard power, running boards (with optional power boards upgrade for just $255) and a better tailgate system, however.

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
For those who say the benefit of the Ford is the dealer network for service do you realize that the ICE mechanics at every Ford dealer don’t suddenly become EV mechanics simply because Ford is making EVs?

I’m sure SOME Ford dealers have mechanics that are certified and capable of fixing their EVs but how many is anyone’s guess. It’s hard to say whether or not they have greater service capacity for their Lightning than Rivian does for their vehicles.

Sponsored

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
For those who say the benefit of the Ford is the dealer network for service do you realize that the ICE mechanics at every Ford dealer don’t suddenly become EV mechanics simply because Ford is making EVs?

I’m sure SOME Ford dealers have mechanics that are certified and capable of fixing their EVs but how many is anyone’s guess. It’s hard to say whether or not they have greater service capacity for their Lightning than Rivian does for their vehicles.
They don’t have capacity or expertise. I live 3 hours from the nearest Rivian SC and 5 mins from a Ford dealer. I’d rather have 2 Rivian’s…

MaskedRacerX

First Name
DT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Occupation
Software Dev / Architect / Product Designer
Lots of discussion about the stereo system changing ...

:bandit:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure about how Ford is doing it but with GM, if your dealer only has one EV guy and he's on vacation, your vehicle is going to sit until he gets back. If he's working on other people's vehicles it's the same problem, even if it's something that's not really an "EV" problem, GM still doesn't want the non-EV trained techs working on it. There's obvious exceptions like tires and wheels, but if it gets more complicated than that it might have to wait.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
OEM legacy. Standards are lower.
100% agree. I somehow knew that Ford was going to do this, probably based on 40 years of experience with them basically doing the same damn thing. My name was called for a Lightning and I didn't go through with the purchase because of the prior price raise.

I also think the bigger difference is how much people care. I feel like folks here really want Rivian to be successful. People are invested. When it comes to Ford, they are going to do what they do. Folks there are much less invested.

Similar phenomenon with Tesla.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Ford CarPlay/AA is a long term disadvantage to me. Emblematic of a poor software team that prefers to outsource. Dealer network for service is good, but for sales sucks
That's a bit generic..my 2nd Lightning was delivered to my front door from 250 miles away. I never had to step foot in the dealership. My salesman texted me, I completed paperwork and payment online. Price was MSRP, no markup. Really no different than my R1T purchase experience. The problem is more the inconsistency.

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Not sure about how Ford is doing it but with GM, if your dealer only has one EV guy and he's on vacation, your vehicle is going to sit until he gets back. If he's working on other people's vehicles it's the same problem, even if it's something that's not really an "EV" problem, GM still doesn't want the non-EV trained techs working on it. There's obvious exceptions like tires and wheels, but if it gets more complicated than that it might have to wait.
We bought an ID.4 while waiting for a Rivian, no one in our whole dealership knew a thing. I asked about checking the battery degradation, they told me they didn't know how but to be careful plugging it in at hotels. No question was ever answered. Didn't know about charging speeds or OTA software updates.

Very happy with the support from Rivian.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
This reminds me that I need to contact my Ford dealer to refund my $100 reservation deposit.

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It simply comes down to supply and demand.

Tesla did the same thing with the S3XY, but then demand dropped so the prices followed.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

No one wants a Model X. Broad appeal for Teslas have fallen. They can try to sell their cars as commodities, but many others can thrive without participating in price war. People have no problem paying premium for brand value. Bottled water sells for 200%+ more just because of a label.
They sold 9,800 last quarter with an average sale price well over $100k. That's more than the Escalade, the R1T, and a little less than the X7. The data does not support your assertion that no one wants a Model X.
Sponsored