Do I really need the Max Pack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I mean the 780 that you pay when financed.
We're crossed up. $780 is the total interest paid over 5 years on the $10k at 3% interest.

If you invest the $10k instead in a risk-free asset (treasury), you'd actually only earn 1.2%/year, or about $600 over 5 years. Sure, you can speculate/invest in any other type of asset trying to earn more, but then we're talking about something else entirely that involves risk.
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
We're crossed up. $780 is the total interest paid over 5 years on the $10k at 3% interest.

If you invest the $10k instead in a risk-free asset (treasury), you'd actually only earn 1.2%/year, or about $600 over 5 years. Sure, you can speculate/invest in any other type of asset trying to earn more, but then we're talking about something else entirely that involves risk.
My bad, I forgot that's what yoy had $780 for. Let's say the monthly cost to finance the max pack at $138/month. My point was that 138 could be invested in aj asset that appreciates (average). But even then, if you assume a 3 to 5% gain, the lost profit on the monthly payment is basically trivial.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
My bad, I forgot that's what yoy had $780 for. Let's say the monthly cost to finance the max pack at $138/month. My point was that 138 could be invested in aj asset that appreciates (average). But even then, if you assume a 3 to 5% gain, the lost profit on the monthly payment is basically trivial.
Just get the max pack.
you won’t be sorry.

Laurent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S
Just get the max pack. you won’t be sorry.
I'd like to get the max pack for the R1S but two things give me pause. Having to wait an additional 6 months to a year (TBD) and carrying extra weight that won't be used 95% of the time. Cost is not a concern.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
... carrying extra weight that won't be used 95% of the time...
Yeah, my family says the same about me... but when there is a spider that needs killing, by god are they happy to have me around for that 5%.

Sponsored

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

I'd like to get the max pack for the R1S but two things give me pause. Having to wait an additional 6 months to a year (TBD)
At this point has there been any ETA for the max pack?

IMO before guides start reaching out to R1S reservation holders, they need to make the timeline clear with no ambiguity.

If it is 6 months, I can wait. If it is coming s00n then I'll go with the large pack.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
At this point has there been any ETA for the max pack?

IMO before guides start reaching out to R1S reservation holders, they need to make the timeline clear with no ambiguity.

If it is 6 months, I can wait. If it is coming s00n then I'll go with the large pack.
The only thing that has been said is the R1S max pack would be announced next year. It will probably be smaller than the 400+ range as the issue seems to be in fitting the modules in the shorter vehicle.

I do not think they have committed to making the announce prior to the R1S LE deliveries are started.

From my perspective, if the R1S max pack was available, I would probably get it. Based on my Tesla experience, it is not something I will need and would be a luxury item to get just because I could so I am sticking with the LE and large pack as that is my only option.

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
but when there is a spider that needs killing, by god are they happy to have me around for that 5%.
You killed Charlotte, you bastard. :giggle:

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Yeah, my family says the same about me... but when there is a spider that needs killing, by god are they happy to have me around for that 5%.
Comment of the Day right there.. :CWL:

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I'd like to get the max pack for the R1S but two things give me pause. Having to wait an additional 6 months to a year (TBD) and carrying extra weight that won't be used 95% of the time. Cost is not a concern.
Max pack is about three hundred more pounds, I forget where I heard that but it stuck, not sure that’s enough weight to worry about. My doctor of course thinks otherwise ?

Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
Really think I need that max pack after seeing some data from the drive events. A recent post from the Sonoma event showed an estimated range of 168mi with the 20” wheels at the recommended 70% charge for optimal battery health. If that proves accurate for normal conditions, I wonder what real world range would be in the mountains in winter.

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
I’ve been struggling to decide whether a 300+ mile range is enough, or if I really need to spend the extra $10k on the Max Pack. I started my EV journey with a VW e-Golf that had a 125 mile range. Then I recently bought a Chevy Bolt that over doubled that range to 259 miles. After a month in the Bolt, I’m finding that I haven’t found any driving situation leaving me wanting more range.
But part of me says the 400+ mile range of the Max Pack will help “future proof” the R1T I have a deposit on. As the battery degrades over time, it would still have enough range to do anything I may ask of it. My goal is to have the R1T as my forever vehicle. If I get the 300 mi pack, perhaps the cost of replacement will be inexpensive enough down the road that spending an extra $10k now doesn’t make sense.
Any thoughts from the collective to help with my decision?
Battery has 8 year 175 k warranty. Max battery only worth it if you tow.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
Battery has 8 year 175 k warranty. Max battery only worth it if you tow.
I disagree. Going over mountain passes, carrying stuff on the roof rack, having a loaded car, driving +5-15, accelerating faster than Prius mode… all of these things could mean stopping for a charge on routine medium trips vs not. If the Rivian is truly as sensitive if not more sensitive than Tesla at efficiency related range hits, max pack becomes essential.

like2short

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW m3
Occupation
Race car driver
I disagree. Going over mountain passes, carrying stuff on the roof rack, having a loaded car, driving +5-15, accelerating faster than Prius mode… all of these things could mean stopping for a charge on routine medium trips vs not. If the Rivian is truly as sensitive if not more sensitive than Tesla at efficiency related range hits, max pack becomes essential.
That would be similar to a towing use case. The question was if you need it. It’s a nice to have but not really necessary.

xyskis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner, Sprinter
Occupation
Surgeon, engineer
That would be similar to a towing use case. The question was if you need it. It’s a nice to have but not really necessary.
While I generally agree with you, people don’t keep a trailer hitched while driving most of the time and the trailer use case dramatically decreases range, particularly at speed. I had 1/3 the range driving 75 on I5 towing a 4x8 trailer in my Model Y (900 Wh/mi), 1/2 the range driving 65, and 3/5 range at 55.

My point is that for more common use cases, additional range can make things more convenient and not having it can be annoying. All this said, could just be that the test vehicles show lower range as more people are routinely flooring it skewing the range algorithm for the car.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.