Do I really need the Max Pack?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Grand Cherokee; (LE - R1S)
Occupation
IT
Me too. 135 kWh would run my house for the day.
My usage is pretty consistent, benefits living near the cost in SoCal, rarely need AC, never need heat. I've replaced most of my lights with LEDs. Helps that it is not a large house at 1900sq ft.

1624476675631.png

I am adding solar in preparation for the Rivian. The Tesla has free super charging so I rarely charge that at home.

Advertisement

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
Out of the 135 or so I use per day the lions share goes to heating in the winter and A/C in the summer.You are lucky and you know that. Only 5.3 go to the Tesla. I too have free charging but certainly charging at home is much more convenient, phantom drain gets covered as it occurs, the Tesla warnings against using SCs unless it is necessary scare me and finally that the electricity is (at least at this time of the year) free means the only time I ever Supercharge is on road trips.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda S2000, Tesla Model Y
Me too. 135 kWh would run my house for the day.
My wife and I built a new house a couple of years ago and finally built what I wanted, super energy efficient, super-strong as we're in hurricane country. I took some of the learnings from German's Passivhaus, Net Zero, etc. Over most of last year, I worked with my small town's alderman to change an ordinance on solar (it was super unfavorable to putting solar on your home) and then this spring added panels so we should now be "Net Zero" as far as electricity which is our major energy supply. All this being said, I would estimate, I have one of the top 5% most efficient homes in the USA and we still use somewhere between 30-50 kW/day.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Honda S2000, Tesla Model Y
My usage is pretty consistent, benefits living near the cost in SoCal, rarely need AC, never need heat. I've replaced most of my lights with LEDs. Helps that it is not a large house at 1900sq ft.

1624476675631.png

I am adding solar in preparation for the Rivian. The Tesla has free super charging so I rarely charge that at home.
Wow, that is awesome! We built a 2,700 sq. ft but since we are in Hurricane country, we built our house "encapsulated" thus we heat/cool the entire envelope, including the attic space. This puts us on par with a 4,000 sq. ft. house. I put 9.4 kW's of panels on, so on an annual basis, we should be a Net-zero. We're only 3 billing cycles into solar, but so far it's great.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yes, when the sun shines it's fantastic. In the summer we produce about 25% more than we use. In the winter I'm estimating we will be short 70% of what we use. Not so great.

Last edited:

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicles
E39 M5, Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Scooter
Occupation
Riviot
Yes, when the sun shines it's fantastic. In the summer we produce about 25% more than we use. In the winter I'm estimatim we will be short 70% of what we use. Not so great.

Same in Wisconsin, makes the ROI rough....

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
The solution is to put up more panels in places that are less than ideal so the sytem effectively "tracks" the sun. This solves the problem to some extent but destroys the ROI.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’ve got gas heat and hot water, and don’t really use my AC much. I’ve averaged 230kW per month over the past year. That’s about 7.5kW per day. 😊

1624505814820.png

Advertisement

Advertisement