First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Has anybody sourced a 1/2” ABS sheet and cut panels to fit? Or maybe an HDPE sheet? A company local to me has 1/4” x 48” x 96” of ABS for under $300, I’m going to call to see if 1/2” is possible. Seems like this would be a better solution than the fence panels
Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anybody sourced a 1/2” ABS sheet and cut panels to fit? Or maybe an HDPE sheet? A company local to me has 1/4” x 48” x 96” of ABS for under $300, I’m going to call to see if 1/2” is possible. Seems like this would be a better solution than the fence panels
Supposedly HDPE sags quite a bit in the heat, abs should fare better though

rkccs257

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
has anyone tried retro-fitting a hard tri-fold tonneau cover using the Ford maverick's ones as seen on multiple aftermarket parts? I've seen soft folds, but not a lot, if any, retrofitted hard tri-fold tonneau. Is it because of the built in rails on the R1T or that the hard tri fold tonneau has their own rail system?

One person in here fitted the Amazon's Soft tri fold tonneau using the home depot rails, so I wonder if the same rail can be used for the hard fold?

Mfurman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
" One person in here fitted the Amazon's Soft tri fold tonneau using the home depot rails, so I wonder if the same rail can be used for the hard fold? "

The rail for soft trifold you are referencing is for the 3 latches per side to catch on. The actual Tonneau sits on top of the bed. Very good chance it would work the exact same way.

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Way back in the day, I remember just having a vinyl tonneau cover that attached via velcro on a Toyota truck. Would imagine the same could be simply done for the Rivian.

I would put down some clear PPF around the edge of the bed, the put the stick on Velcro on the PPF so it's easy to remove.

I assume someone still makes them. And is an "easy" way to put one on for short term use.

Just a thought

Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Way back in the day, I remember just having a vinyl tonneau cover that attached via velcro on a Toyota truck. Would imagine the same could be simply done for the Rivian.

I would put down some clear PPF around the edge of the bed, the put the stick on Velcro on the PPF so it's easy to remove.

I assume someone still makes them. And is an "easy" way to put one on for short term use.

Just a thought
It's a little more complicated with the gear tunnel and tailgate buttons, but some of the existing offerings are a velcro attachment style... Even the EVSportline one I believe uses a velcro attachment, but the 'frame' for it is bolted to the side panels using existing bolt locations.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

It's a little more complicated with the gear tunnel and tailgate buttons, but some of the existing offerings are a velcro attachment style... Even the EVSportline one I believe uses a velcro attachment, but the 'frame' for it is bolted to the side panels using existing bolt locations.
Don't think the gear tunnel would be a problem. Just need to find one with appropriate dimensions to stretch from the cab to the tail gate. Good thing about vinyl (referring to soft vinyl that can be rolled or folded up) is it doesn't have to be exact. You'll have flexibility on where to put the velcro strips on the truck.

Also, due to it being a soft vinyl, you'll still be able to push the buttons for the gear tunnel or tail gate. Probably can feel where they are. Otherwise, put small mark where they are.

Also, good thing about soft vinyl and velcro attachment, can pull up any area of the tonneau at any time (side, front corner, rear) then just stick it back to the velcro again

Again, just a cheap potential option for those looking to cover the bed for a trip or other short term reason.

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

0CFBD2EA-68F0-4FFD-9C9A-A17DD58831A3.jpeg
E988A1AE-2825-43D6-A4D6-44900F974B11.jpeg

Sorry for the confusion. I am still working on the slides/end caps. For now the cover is sitting on the plastic ledge below the side slots (1st pic). The 2nd pic shows a piece of scrap HDPE that fits into the fence board and into the side slot. Hope this helps.
And yes, it’s still raining
Did you consider using UHMW (further down the page on McMasster-Carr) for more strength and less friction?

dga965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (Adventure, Red Canyon; Ocean Coast, 20AT)
UHMW is a better choice for the reasons you mention, albeit about 3X the cost. TBH, I had the HDPE left over from another project.

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (broken), 20"], 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Has anyone that has an R1T with a disabled/dysfunctional PTC removed or cut the endcaps on the rails, in order to install a homebrew sliding manual tonneau (to use while waiting for the upgraded PTC). If so, what did you do, and what did you find?

Edit: I asked Rivian service about cutting the endcaps, such that the rail slots would continue through the endcaps. He told me that he couldn't advise me to do it, but that he didn't see a problem with doing that. Those endcaps ought to be three dollar parts (but probably cost $25), so replacing them (if they are even needed) shouldn't be that big a deal, when Rivian repairs/replaces my PTC.

Last edited:

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Has anyone that has an R1T with a disabled/dysfunctional PTC removed or cut the endcaps on the rails, in order to install a homebrew sliding manual tonneau (to use while waiting for the upgraded PTC). If so, what did you do, and what did you find?
I've heard people going to the service center and just asking for the caps to be removed, if the powered tonneau is disabled in the open position. At that point, I believe it looks just like the manual/no tonneau rails.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I've heard people going to the service center and just asking for the caps to be removed, if the powered tonneau is disabled in the open position. At that point, I believe it looks just like the manual/no tonneau rails.
This is essentially what I did. When they tried to fix my tonneau and it didn’t work, I asked them to remove the end caps. They never had before, but said it was pretty easy. I forgot how it connects now but I seem to remember just a few fasteners?

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
This is essentially what I did. When they tried to fix my tonneau and it didn’t work, I asked them to remove the end caps. They never had before, but said it was pretty easy. I forgot how it connects now but I seem to remember just a few fasteners?
"From what I hear, There’s 3 t-10? Screws 2 on top of the cap, 1 under. But to get to them you have to use NRP the truck rail fascia. The clips to reapply it are tough. I’ve heard we should take it to service or wait for a detailed video before trying it solo."
Someone else on s00n.rivianstories.com said this...
Sponsored