Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If anyone is thinking of making their own tonneau from the lowes/Home Depot aluminum fence panels, I’d be happy to make the uhmw slide pieces for them. Everything else about the project is fairly straightforward, but those took me a while to get right. Figured if I could save someone some frustration it might be worthwhile.
Sponsored

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
If anyone is thinking of making their own tonneau from the lowes/Home Depot aluminum fence panels, I’d be happy to make the uhmw slide pieces for them. Everything else about the project is fairly straightforward, but those took me a while to get right. Figured if I could save someone some frustration it might be worthwhile.
As someone who did it, I'll confirm that cutting that plastic is the messiest and most complicated portion of the whole thing. Other than that, it's just cutting down the board length, rip one down to make it skinnier, and sticking the weatherstripping on front and back. But I can also help answer questions about the process I went through if anyone has them

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I just ordered ten of the NewTechWood Shou Sugi Ban siding pieces. I might need an eleventh piece, since it was not clear what the actual width will be, after subtracting the shiplap overlap; however, weather stripping at front and back might make up the difference.
I should get them in about a week. So, we shall see.
I am regretting, at this point, having wasted money on the the PTC, only to find that I have to spend money on a manual solution. I hope that Rivian's new and improved solution for the PTC will change my mind, but I have my doubts.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
while I still hope the manual tonneau is just around the corner this thread inspired me to build a temporary solution. turns out our family of 4 brings a lot of s#$% on our weekend trips to the mountains.

Did a 4 panel design out of ACX plywood with and added some aluminum c-channel to align the panels for a cleaner look, hopefully make them more water/snow tight as well possibly add some rigidity.

IMG_1326.jpeg

IMG_1327.jpeg
IMG_1328.jpeg

painted the plywood with bed liner paint so the texture is by design.

build list:
- 2x 4'x8' ACX plywood (I purchased from a local lumber yard, but I believe this is basically this same)
- 2x 1/2"x1/2"x96" aluminum c-channel
- adhesive weather seal (for the front and back)
- bed liner paint
- flat black paint for the c-channel

it's not perfect, but it'll do and certainly better than nothing.

edit: added links
Thanks for the write up. I just finished my version. Followed what you did exactly, with the exception that I decided to use 1 single large 4 foot long board + a ~6" filler board. While a bit harder to remove and install, my use-case is temporary as I have a Rivian cover on order and only building it now since I have a road trip planned and need the extra lockable storage.

I went with the 1 large 4 foot board because:
1. faster and cheaper (less cuts, less c-channel, etc.)
2. I'll have an easier time leveraging the wood with a larger cut when I get my Rivian cover
3. Going to be more water proof as there are less seams
4. I've been playing with the idea of creating some camping/road-trip toilet specific cover where there is a hatch that opens with a privacy curtain. Once I get my Rivian cover I might cut into this and add some hinges and see if i can make the idea work.

Excluding the trip to home depot, I probably spent 90 minutes on it. Pretty happy with how it turned out and the low investment in time/money for this temporary solution.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? r1t cover

JH2022RivianR1T

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Clubs

What tools did you use to cut it and what was the width you used to fit the panels to fit in the rails. Instead of hinge I'm thinking high strength velcro to hold a stack together.

Did the 5x 12 inch pieces fit the length perfectly or was there a shorter piece?
I have ordered the materials for this build and have the same questions. Any Reply?

Sponsored

JH2022RivianR1T

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Clubs

Here's the build, cellular PVC. Sorry for the night pictures.
20230103_222021136_iOS.jpg
20230103_222246975_iOS.jpg
20230103_222259668_iOS.jpg
20230103_222310376_iOS.jpg
What tools did you use to cut it and what was the width you used to fit the panels in the rails. Did the 5x 12 inch pieces fit the length perfectly or was there a shorter piece?
Here's the build, cellular PVC. Sorry for the night pictures.
20230103_222021136_iOS.jpg
20230103_222246975_iOS.jpg
20230103_222259668_iOS.jpg
20230103_222310376_iOS.jpg
Hello, Nice work! What was the width you used to fit the panels into the rails and did you have to trim down one of the 12" boards to fit the bed length or did the 5 x 12 inch pieces fit the length perfectly or was there a thinner piece in the middle? Any additional information would be appreciated. I've purchased the materials for this build. Thank you!

leftride

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for the write up. I just finished my version. Followed what you did exactly, with the exception that I decided to use 1 single large 4 foot long board + a ~6" filler board. While a bit harder to remove and install, my use-case is temporary as I have a Rivian cover on order and only building it now since I have a road trip planned and need the extra lockable storage.

I went with the 1 large 4 foot board because:
1. faster and cheaper (less cuts, less c-channel, etc.)
2. I'll have an easier time leveraging the wood with a larger cut when I get my Rivian cover
3. Going to be more water proof as there are less seams
4. I've been playing with the idea of creating some camping/road-trip toilet specific cover where there is a hatch that opens with a privacy curtain. Once I get my Rivian cover I might cut into this and add some hinges and see if i can make the idea work.

Excluding the trip to home depot, I probably spent 90 minutes on it. Pretty happy with how it turned out and the low investment in time/money for this temporary solution.

r1t cover.jpeg
nice! mine is still holding up well through a snow filled colorado winter. waiting on a more permanent solution, but so glad i decided to build this temp cover.

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
I bought a Maverick roll up cover from Amazon and janked it together with straps, seems pretty sturdy.

9B625E21-4724-4478-B1DD-75AC0233D2C9.jpeg

99AF8023-5951-4A23-BD2D-5BC99F8D6351.jpeg
CBCBB73F-758F-4A7D-B413-588C449E0F22.jpeg
I got tired of the Maverick cover being janked together and returned it. I went the vinyl fencing route instead - to my surprise 9 panels fit perfect with no trimming required (aside from the ends). I also took out the rubber weatherstripping from the tonneau rail slot which made it super easy to slide the panels in.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? IMG_0554.JPG

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
For those with trucks optioned for automatic covers, how did you remove the rear catches at the end of the bed at the tailgate?

Sponsored

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
In case anyone is interested in having a cover made. I guess this is turning into a business now.

https://interrobang-automotive.myshopify.com/
Hi Bill, this looks like the best non-Rivian solution thus far. I'm not sure I like the velcro strap situation though. Any chance this can be re-engineered using magnets? The "click" sound as one slat hit the other actually made me think that there were magnets involved.

Last edited:

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi Bill, this looks like the best non-Rivian solution thus far. I'm not sure I like the velcro strap situation though. Any chance this can be re-engineered using magnets? The "click" sound as one slat hit the other actually made me think that there were magnets involved.
Magnets would be cool, but I’m not sure what kind would be needed to provide enough hold to pull everything forward. It’s not hard to pull, but the whole thing does weigh about 50lbs. I could certainly leave the Velcro off one for you and you could experiment with the magnets. It’s not that I don’t think it would work, but I don’t really have the R&D time or budget right now to make sure it would work properly.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Exec
Magnets would be cool, but I’m not sure what kind would be needed to provide enough hold to pull everything forward. It’s not hard to pull, but the whole thing does weigh about 50lbs. I could certainly leave the Velcro off one for you and you could experiment with the magnets. It’s not that I don’t think it would work, but I don’t really have the R&D time or budget right now to make sure it would work properly.
Understood completely. I'll take the Velcro for now and maybe experiment with magnet options later on. When's your next run going to be or do you pump these out as orders come in?

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Understood completely. I'll take the Velcro for now and maybe experiment with magnet options later on. When's your next run going to be or do you pump these out as orders come in?
So far it’s been in batches, but more because of material shipments then by design. I’m a little hesitant to stockpile too much, but I’m hoping to get ahead and have a handful in stock and ready to go. I have a batch taking up the garage and testing my wonderful wife’s patience right now. My website is interrobang-automotive.myshopify.com if you’re ready to get on the list. I’d estimate about 2 weeks right now.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Exec
So far it’s been in batches, but more because of material shipments then by design. I’m a little hesitant to stockpile too much, but I’m hoping to get ahead and have a handful in stock and ready to go. I have a batch taking up the garage and testing my wonderful wife’s patience right now. My website is interrobang-automotive.myshopify.com if you’re ready to get on the list. I’d estimate about 2 weeks right now.
Placed my order about an hour ago ;) Looking forward to it.
Sponsored