Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

What tools did you use to cut it and what was the width you used to fit the panels in the rails. Did the 5x 12 inch pieces fit the length perfectly or was there a shorter piece?

Hello, Nice work! What was the width you used to fit the panels into the rails and did you have to trim down one of the 12" boards to fit the bed length or did the 5 x 12 inch pieces fit the length perfectly or was there a thinner piece in the middle? Any additional information would be appreciated. I've purchased the materials for this build. Thank you!
Using 5"x12"x 8" panels. I used a table saw and miter saw to cut the PVC, it cuts fine with wood saw blades. The length of each panel is about 55", but make sure to measure, I had to cut down the center panel to about 9" and 2 of the panels to 11.5". You should cut the center panel slightly larger, fit it and try to close the tailgate to and cut off exactly what you need to make it fit.
Sponsored

fg3

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
If anyone is thinking of making their own tonneau from the lowes/Home Depot aluminum fence panels, I’d be happy to make the uhmw slide pieces for them. Everything else about the project is fairly straightforward, but those took me a while to get right. Figured if I could save someone some frustration it might be worthwhile.
Hi Bill - would you be willing to share the .svg file you use for your Origin? I've got one as well and would like to use it to make my end pieces.

Thanks,
Frank

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
My attempt, based on leftride's design. I left the aluminum channels unpainted and think the silver accents look great! I also put weather seal tape on all the forward edges of each panel; the rear most panel has it on both edges. Definitely DIY looking but it does the trick! Bonus is that it matches the wood grain interior 🤣

Partial credit to my dad for doing the wood cutting. I'm a grown adult but he still insists on him only using the power tools...

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230326_224159963
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230326_224205553
Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? PXL_20230326_224217864

leftride

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My attempt, based on leftride's design.
glad it was helpful.

you've definitely got some grain in that wood 😁 what plywood is that? I used ACX plywood (1 side was sanded) and ended up going to higher end lumber yard vs. a big box.

Silver looks good with the cross bars. and not trying to be an ass, but could be cut a little straighter even if they aren't going the full width.

either way it's so much nicer having a cover even if it's DIY so well done!

alisdair1941

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
glad it was helpful.

you've definitely got some grain in that wood 😁 what plywood is that? I used ACX plywood (1 side was sanded) and ended up going to higher end lumber yard vs. a big box.

Silver looks good with the cross bars. and not trying to be an ass, but could be cut a little straighter even if they aren't going the full width.

either way it's so much nicer having a cover even if it's DIY so well done!
Ha, yeah the aluminum channels definitely are roughed in. I didn't realize the full length between edges at the top was actually 52", not 48", so I only got enough of the channels to accommodate 48" lengths, one for each panel edge. I might fix that at a later date but it'll do for now! I also ended up putting weather-stripping on each panel's forward edge, plus one on the rear edge of the rear panel. I had to trim the rear panel a bit thinner to account for the extra thickness from the weather stripping and all the aluminum channels, but it's a nice tight seal with the tailgate up.

Plywood is the cheapest stuff I could get at HD. The pre-sanded stuff was double the cost here and I didn't really care for the final finish since the official one should be out soon (presumably?).

Sponsored

Bf3

Site Sponsor
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
interrobang.store
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Hi Bill - would you be willing to share the .svg file you use for your Origin? I've got one as well and would like to use it to make my end pieces.

Thanks,
Frank
Sure! PM me and I’ll send it over a little later. Im not home at the moment.

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
I got tired of the Maverick cover being janked together and returned it. I went the vinyl fencing route instead - to my surprise 9 panels fit perfect with no trimming required (aside from the ends). I also took out the rubber weatherstripping from the tonneau rail slot which made it super easy to slide the panels in.

IMG_0554.JPG
were your panels 0.875" deep?

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Thanks - did you add any type of weather stripping for the cab and the tailgate areas? If so would you be so kind to share what you used?
I don’t think the cab side needs it because there’s already some there from the factory. I just made sure the pointy part of the V channel on the fence slats was facing the cab. It hasn’t rained yet here but I have some leftover weather stripping from the maverick cover I bought and returned if I end up needing it. As it stands now the tailgate has constant pressure on the last slat so there isn’t much room anyway

Sponsored

Smashby

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150
Occupation
Purchasing Manager
I don’t think the cab side needs it because there’s already some there from the factory. I just made sure the pointy part of the V channel on the fence slats was facing the cab. It hasn’t rained yet here but I have some leftover weather stripping from the maverick cover I bought and returned if I end up needing it. As it stands now the tailgate has constant pressure on the last slat so there isn’t much room anyway
[/QUOTE
Thank you! I get my truck on Friday , I think I’ll be going down this path. Appreciate you sharing your mod!

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I just ordered ten of the NewTechWood Shou Sugi Ban siding pieces. I might need an eleventh piece, since it was not clear what the actual width will be, after subtracting the shiplap overlap; however, weather stripping at front and back might make up the difference.
I should get them in about a week. So, we shall see.
I am regretting, at this point, having wasted money on the the PTC, only to find that I have to spend money on a manual solution. I hope that Rivian's new and improved solution for the PTC will change my mind, but I have my doubts.
Well, this is my temporary manual tonneau cover, a work in process:
Since my truck had the end caps on the rails, I cut the caps such that the slots continue through the end caps.
Then I cut (to a length of 54 5/8") ten slats of the Shou Sugi Ban. At this point, I just slide the ten slats into the rails. The slats are a bit too flexible, so they sag some, as you can see in the photo. Eventually I expect to bind them into three panels, with at least one 1/2" aluminum channel or angle across each panel. That should stiffen them up.

I would like to caution anyone who might consider these NewTechWood slats of two things:
1) Most (or all) of the slats had one end from the factory which was cut way out of square. I didn't notice this until I had cut several slats to length.
2) There was shipping damage on some of the slats in each of the two boxes of five. Home Depot didn't stock them locally, so I had to order them, and wait about ten days. Fortunately, I was able to cut off (as waste) the worst of the damage.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? black slats

Last edited:

Phatman113

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Well, this is my temporary manaul tonneau cover, a work in process:
Since my truck had the end caps on the rails, I cut the caps such that the slots continue through the end caps.
Then I cut (to a length of 54 5/8") ten slats of the Shou Sugi Ban. At this point, I just slide the ten slats into the rails. The slats are a bit too flexible, so they sag some, as you can see in the photo. Eventually I expect to bind them into three panels, with at least one 1/2" aluminum channel or angle across each panel. That should stiffen them up.

I would like to caution anyone who might consider these NewTechWood slats of two things:
1) Most (or all) of the slats had one end from the factory which was cut way out of square. I didn't notice this until I had cut several slats to length.
2) There was shipping damage on some of the slats in each of the two boxes of five. Home Depot didn't stock them locally, so I had to order them, and wait about ten days. Fortuntely, I was able to cut off (as waste) the worst of the damage.

black slats.jpg
Too bad about the sag, but I think you're right, binding them into panels of 3 with some form of stiffener will make a big difference. I thought it was more like wood, but it seems like it's a 'trex' decking type product? More plastic than wood, is that correct? Should hold up to the elements pretty well then!

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Too bad about the sag, but I think you're right, binding them into panels of 3 with some form of stiffener will make a big difference. I thought it was more like wood, but it seems like it's a 'trex' decking type product? More plastic than wood, is that correct? Should hold up to the elements pretty well then!
Yeah, more plastic than wood, but designed to withstand the elements. The surface looks like wood, though (in this case charred wood - but it does match rather well to the Black Mountain wood inside the cab).
It does sag a little more than I expected, but I had expected that it would need additional stiffening, so I am not shocked. I plan to add a 1/2" aluminum angle at the end of the back panel, for grabbing (and stiffening). And maybe a 1/2" angle at the front of the forward panel. I am going to look into possibly using an H channel to connect and seal (and stiffen) the juncture of the middle panels Two C channels screwed or riveted back to back, and then cemented to one edge of a panel (with weather stripping in the other side) would do that as well.

Last edited:

ADKR1S

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T , 2023 Toyota 4Runner, R1S Preorder
Occupation
VP of Sales
I finished Bf3s version of the aluminum cover last night - (the 11th panel will be here next week so the last section near the tailgate with the 3 scrap off cuts I’d only temporary). This is absolutely my permanent cover going forward!

I had the BAK Revolver x2 for 5 years on my previous F-150 and it was utterly useless in the winter because it wouldn’t roll up when it was frozen.

It might take a little heat at the edge & some persuasion but these panels will definitely slide out in the winter!

I can’t thank the contributors to this mod enough - this is a GREAT solution to a really annoying situation.

John

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 9CB0919C-8C28-4582-8432-BBCD6C7DD451

Rivian R1T R1S DIY temporary tonneau / bed cover? 62C24BA8-CF56-46F2-A50C-51F9D65C971E
Sponsored