HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I decided to add a tailgate step/ladder to my truck bed.

I took off panels
Only a few torx bolts to remove
The top panel snapped a bunch, gonna be cut up anyway so I’m not too concerned

Rivian R1T R1S DIY mod - Adding hidden tailgate step ladder on R1T IMG_1335

I tried to keep things in line with the ribs going down the middle, that puts it about 18” wide

Rivian R1T R1S DIY mod - Adding hidden tailgate step ladder on R1T IMG_1337

The area has internal chambers around 4-5 inches deep
I cut through two middle walls to get the full depth unlocked, looking at 17.5” deep

Rivian R1T R1S DIY mod - Adding hidden tailgate step ladder on R1T IMG_1338

Space was limited and I was working with a reciprocating saw and an oscillating tool.
It would be easier if I had a smaller form factor vibe saw and/or an air saw, since space is so tight.

I now have a chase that is roughly 2.5x18x17.5 to fit telescoping hardware in

I tried this transom ladder off of amazon:
Transom Ladder

I will need to add about two inches of movement to make it so the ladder can fully tuck in but also come out enough to pivot down properly.

Rivian R1T R1S DIY mod - Adding hidden tailgate step ladder on R1T IMG_1340

This is standard mode height.
The rungs fully extend and the bottom one has very minor play.

The ladder is rated to 300lbs, may cut a rung (or two) off the bottom so it fully on the tailgate (also would help with stowed mode spacing)

Once I get this boxed in and mounted the next step will be to make the stealth cover with the trim, current idea is to make the cutout and put the "cover" on a spring hinge

Any suggestions/ ideas are welcome!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Meltdwn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Business Owner
cool idea. you might want to add a reinforcement up under the corner, in the area you cut away the tailgate, so it doesn't bend when you step on it. Looking forward to more progress posts!

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager
I have been thinking about this type of thing for a while now since I have had mine. I had wanted to fab a dual purpose type step, one that slid out and flipped up to be a stop for 8' sheet goods and then could flip down for a step. Haven't been ambitious enough to pull the tailgate apart yet though. Love the project you got going though

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I suggest keeping the ladder a bit long if possible as you won't always be parking on level ground, but maybe it doesn't rely on ground contact for stability. If so then a dangling one is fine like other trucks. Some even have a grab bar but can you grab the bed?

If the track was also telescoping by a couple inches you could hide the whole thing. You'd have to build a frame. You could also just mount a rectangular foot to the end of the ladder that would cover the hole when stowed. Don't forget about rattles as best as possible or it will drive you nuts. A pull tab/handle will be better than a grab hole so nothing falls inside the tailgate.

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

This would be a great mod for the Cybertruck. That looks like a swim platform ladder to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I suggest keeping the ladder a bit long if possible as you won't always be parking on level ground, but maybe it doesn't rely on ground contact for stability. If so then a dangling one is fine like other trucks. Some even have a grab bar but can you grab the bed?

If the track was also telescoping by a couple inches you could hide the whole thing. You'd have to build a frame. You could also just mount a rectangular foot to the end of the ladder that would cover the hole when stowed. Don't forget about rattles as best as possible or it will drive you nuts. A pull tab/handle will be better than a grab hole so nothing falls inside the tailgate.
This particular ladder is made to be weight bearing from the top (original design is hanging from a boat).

Currently building the frame, not sure if I make one for the whole space and make a wider step or use this as a v1.

For the cover I am using a push latch. so no holes and will stow snug.
The frame will have springs at the bottom and I will be making a gasket at the top to help cut down on intrusion and noise/ vibrations

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

I miss the “grandpa” tailgate step from my F150. Hopefully this option becomes available in the future.

Nice work, I’m looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
I knew the "no going back" truck mods were coming!!! Good idea... curious if you could cannibalize a step assembly from an F150 and make it work in a Rivian.

Sponsored

OP
OP
HighVoltOverland

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

I knew the "no going back" truck mods were coming!!! Good idea... curious if you could cannibalize a step assembly from an F150 and make it work in a Rivian.
Luckily this is still completely stealth
Just need some new butyl/ vht to reattach the full length of the plastic

I thought about the f150 route, unfortunately 350 for a used piece that I don’t have dimensions on didn’t seem very appealing (yet)

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I miss the “grandpa” tailgate step from my F150. Hopefully this option becomes available in the future.
If we are going to start down the "I miss the...", put me down for "I miss my drop-down or swing open Ridgeline tailgate". Trying to reach down into the deep Ridgeline trunk under the bed (also home of the spare tire)... with the tailgate swung open to the side... was a piece of cake. Trying to reach into the Rivian spare tire compartment while reaching over the extended tailgate... NOT so easy. And forget trying to pull out that 88 lb AT spare tire without a forklift.
But kudos for being brave enough to start with the REAL mods... look forward to your results!

Meltdwn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Business Owner
If we are going to start down the "I miss the...", put me down for "I miss my drop-down or swing open Ridgeline tailgate". Trying to reach down into the deep Ridgeline trunk under the bed (also home of the spare tire)... with the tailgate swung open to the side... was a piece of cake. Trying to reach into the Rivian spare tire compartment while reaching over the extended tailgate... NOT so easy. And forget trying to pull out that 88 lb AT spare tire without a forklift.
But kudos for being brave enough to start with the REAL mods... look forward to your results!
I was a long-time Ridgeline owner too (17 yrs), loved the trunk and now use my R1T spare space as a trunk too. Lots of tools stored there and an electric chainsaw in the gear tunnel. A swing-out tailgate would be wonderful.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Definitely keeping an eye on this. This will likely be my first “irreversible” mod, too.

RedDragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Jeep Wrangler
Clubs

The gear tunnel doors can be used as a step into the bed as well - they hold 250 lbs.
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy