Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just love seeing actual mods happing, so tired of “builds” being paying someone $9k to wrap their truck in PPF 😆
This post just might be the push I needed to do more of this stuff, I just gotta find the time.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
Nice mod! I will be keeping an eye out on your progress and learnings.
Thank you for sharing your diy!

k3g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Robotics
I like this one! One thing to pay attention to is that you've removed quite some structure. A cheap and easy way to stiffen your tailgate would be to add some aluminum angle around the hole, riveted in place with blind rivets. You can put the inside edge against your cut so the angle is inside your new pocket. It should add quite a bit of structure back to your tailgate to stiffen it up.

Nice work!

Sponsored

tplociniak

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, VW Atlas
Occupation
Construction Manager

Rashtor

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Testla Y, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I decided to add a tailgate step/ladder to my truck bed.

I took off panels
Only a few torx bolts to remove
The top panel snapped a bunch, gonna be cut up anyway so I’m not too concerned

IMG_1335.jpeg

I tried to keep things in line with the ribs going down the middle, that puts it about 18” wide

IMG_1337.jpeg

The area has internal chambers around 4-5 inches deep
I cut through two middle walls to get the full depth unlocked, looking at 17.5” deep

IMG_1338.jpeg

Space was limited and I was working with a reciprocating saw and an oscillating tool.
It would be easier if I had a smaller form factor vibe saw and/or an air saw, since space is so tight.

I now have a chase that is roughly 2.5x18x17.5 to fit telescoping hardware in

I tried this transom ladder off of amazon:
Transom Ladder

I will need to add about two inches of movement to make it so the ladder can fully tuck in but also come out enough to pivot down properly.

IMG_1340.jpeg

This is standard mode height.
The rungs fully extend and the bottom one has very minor play.

The ladder is rated to 300lbs, may cut a rung (or two) off the bottom so it fully on the tailgate (also would help with stowed mode spacing)

Once I get this boxed in and mounted the next step will be to make the stealth cover with the trim, current idea is to make the cutout and put the "cover" on a spring hinge

Any suggestions/ ideas are welcome!
When you say the top panel snapped a bunch, are you saying the hold-downs broke. What tool would be appropriate to remove this panel as so not to break this panel? I would imagine the cost of a replacement top panel would be very expensive.
Sponsored