Sponsored

Delay Placeholder Vehicles

UhOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Golf
Following up on this, Reddit user EvenYearGiants says to expect next summer *at the earliest* for R1S LE deliveries. (EvenYearGiants has my confidence. My first post on these forums--the reason for my handle--was a link to a Reddit thread where EvenYearGiants mentioned a friend at Rivian who said first deliveries of R1T would be delayed till December. There was a negative reaction to that post here, but it turned out to be right. This was way before the announced delay.)

Sponsored

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Kanundrum: thanks so much for your reply and your efforts on the forum more generally; I've benefited from them. I just 'liked' your reply, but I do not actually like the content! I trust your judgment, but what explains your estimate? Hasn't the whole thing been moved back six months (first deliveries June --> November) so if I was initially going to get my R1S at the end of 2021, now I'd be getting it six months later? Or is the logic just that after so many delays, you'd be crazy not to build in extra delays in any estimate at this point?

In any event, I think I'm going to buy a T8 XC90, if I can find one with air suspension.

Internal expectations vs reality really, so I thought December 2020 then June 2021, Now September 2021 for basic R1T launch. So set your expectations to an achievable goal really, if it so happens it comes early that would be good but just trying to be realistic based on trend/patterns.

Personally with a May 2019 Pre-order on the SUV Ill hold out until June of 2022 but if it doesn't come into my driveway I think by then It might be time to move on to something that MAYBE available.

If nothing meets the same requirements as the R1S I would happily take delivery.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Kanundrum: thanks so much for your reply and your efforts on the forum more generally; I've benefited from them. I just 'liked' your reply, but I do not actually like the content! I trust your judgment, but what explains your estimate?
and thanks haha, i just post things, i try not to get involved and only go on data I see because you no point in arguing about anything not there yet tbh. I just see a lack of data which means xy and z and I stick with it.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think you will have a better idea by the end of the year based on how many vehicles are rolling off the line. No one really has anything other than a SWAG at this time.

The letter that was sent out on 7/16 talks about the additional 2 month delay to starting delivery and a one month delay for starting the test drive program, but had no information of delivery schedule.

Prior to that message, they were targeting by the spring 2022 to complete LE deliveries. If you assume nothing else changed other than the start, that puts you end of summer, beginning of fall at best for the final LE deliveries.

Throw in the latest round of news around COVID spikes globally, who really knows when supply chains will fully recover and what other possible delays may come into play.

I think we all hope for sooner but best to be more realistic and wait for some actual delivery data before planning on any real dates. The ones @kanundrum stated are not unrealistic based on what information we have at this point.

The good news is it sounds like you were able to get an LE reservation, if you have that and live in one of the earlier delivery locations, who knows….

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Following up on this, Reddit user EvenYearGiants says to expect next summer *at the earliest* for R1S LE deliveries. (EvenYearGiants has my confidence. My first post on these forums--the reason for my handle--was a link to a Reddit thread where EvenYearGiants mentioned a friend at Rivian who said first deliveries of R1T would be delayed till December. There was a negative reaction to that post here, but it turned out to be right. This was way before the announced delay.)
I’m in a similar situation in that I need a car and did the Volvo Care Subscription as a placeholder short term lease. I’m hoping to get out after 5 months, but will be in limbo until I get my R1S (mid 2019 preorder).

I’m hoping to have a more workable time table by the end of the year, at the latest. I really don’t need the SUV as my kids are all about out of the house and considered changing to an R1T if that would speed things up. I’ve gone back and forth but think I’ll stick with the R1S.

I can wait, but it would be nice to at least have an idea rather than shooting in the dark.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(

They might be right with their timelines when all is said and done, but it is worth noting that the December prediction for first R1T delivery hasn't been proven true yet. Rivian is still saying September.

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm actively negotiating the price for a demo Mach E now. Wish me luck! :sun:
Update: Idiots! :mad:

I had a deal in principle with a dealer about 3 hours away for a pretty perfect Mach E. I was going to pick it up tomorrow. I received a heads up from the F&I guy that, "Per Ford Guidance" they registered the vehicle to themselves when they put it into loaner status. When I asked if they were going to claim the $7500 tax incentive then pass that along to me , this was the response:

Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles 0i21ur4fl1x11

They then started telling me that they didn't know the tax implications of vehicle and that, "I needed to speak with my tax advisor about that." To which I respond, "I absolutely do not need to do that. Has the car been registered?"

Them: "Yes, it has."

Me: "Whomever registered it initially must claim the tax incentive when filing for 2021. It can be claimed by a business. I would suggest that you do that and contact your tax advisor if you have questions about it."

Them:
Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles 0i21ur4fl1x11

Still them: "That isn't my job."

Me: "It may not be, but if you attempt to sell that vehicle and the customer is expecting it to be a brand new unit and to claim the incentive on it, they will not be able to and you will likely be facing a lawsuit."

Them: "I don't know anything about that. They would need to talk to their tax advisor."

Me:
Rivian R1T R1S Delay Placeholder Vehicles person-facepalming_1f926

Also me: "I wish the poor soul that you pawn that car off on the best of luck. Thank you for your time. Goodbye."

FWIW, I found another one. It's in CT. I'm in western PA. I don't think I'm buying a Mach E.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

I had a deal in principle with a dealer about 3 hours away for a pretty perfect Mach E. I was going to pick it up tomorrow. I received a heads up from the F&I guy that, "Per Ford Guidance" they registered the vehicle to themselves when they put it into loaner status. When I asked if they were going to claim the $7500 tax incentive then pass that along to me , this was the response:

0i21ur4fl1x11.png

They then started telling me that they didn't know the tax implications of vehicle and that, "I needed to speak with my tax advisor about that." To which I respond, "I absolutely do not need to do that. Has the car been registered?"

Me: "Whomever registered it initially must claim the tax incentive when filing for 2021. It can be claimed by a business. I would suggest that you do that and contact your tax advisor if you have questions about it."

Them:
0i21ur4fl1x11.png

Me: "It may not be, but if you attempt to sell that vehicle and the customer is expecting it to be a brand new unit and to claim the incentive on it, they will not be able to and you will likely be facing a lawsuit."

Them: "I don't know anything about that. They would need to talk to their tax advisor."

Me:
person-facepalming_1f926.png

Also me: "I wish the poor soul that you pawn that car off on the best of luck. Thank you for your time. Goodbye."

FWIW, I found another one. It's in CT. I'm in western PA. I don't think I'm buying a Mach E.
Yikes. Every dealer I've seen sell a loaner off like that lists them as used.

Have you looked at an ID.4? There really aren't any other Mach E near you? There's plenty around my area.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

0i21ur4fl1x11.png

Them:
0i21ur4fl1x11.png

Me:

Don't people need to itemize their taxes just to get the incentive anyway?

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Don't people need to itemize their taxes just to get the incentive anyway?
You need to speak with your tax advisor about that. ?

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS

0i21ur4fl1x11.png

Them:
0i21ur4fl1x11.png

Me:

This is exciting

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Well, I've never had anywhere near a tax bill of $7,500, so I'm guessing only big earners will even qualify for taking the entire $7,500. At most I'd get $2500-3000 of the credit. Damn fine print. Booo

OP
OP
RWerksman

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Well, I've never had anywhere near a tax bill of $7,500, so I'm guessing only big earners will even qualify for taking the entire $7,500. At most I'd get $2500-3000 of the credit. Damn fine print. Booo
I'm not sure if this is necessarily the case. You can get a rough calculation of what you pay in federal income taxes here:

https://smartasset.com/taxes/income-taxes

In my area, to take full advantage of the EV tax credit, without any other deductions, my income would need to be around $67,000 / year. In all likelihood if you're buying a vehicle that costs about that much, you'll likely be able to take advantage of the entire credit due to the income needed for the purchase in the first place.
Sponsored